White box v Black box lenses - are they the same in terms of quality and re-sale price?

ShivaYash

As long as you are not involved in rare collectors lenses, any perceived potential difference in lenses of the same type with either version of a box or either coloration of the paint filled engraving has no meaningful difference in "re-sale value" (not that this is a thing you could possible plan though).

Buy the darn lens according to what deal you get. Buy according to condition with a close eye on current market prices and make pictures with the lens (not the cardboard box).

Any issue of lenses you might have to take care of later on and pay for, any scratch or dent you will add to it due to use will have a much, much greater monetary impact than the color of the cardboard box it came in.

• Like 1

Dear all,

The title says it all. Are lenses the same, regardless of year of manufacture?

I know Leica-nerds (my included) love packaging so I presume the newer stuff is worth a little more, but not that much.

Ta.

If the same version of a lens, no difference as to the box. But as James Bond would say, "so long as the cuffs and collars match" (if you're looking at the box, make sure the serial number on the lens is the  same as on the box).

• Like 2

Many thanks for this information.

I've purchased a 28f2 from the Leica Classified facebook group and think perhaps, on reflection I got over excited and over paid by around £200 or so.

Its a complete white boxed example in 'as new' condition, but as you may appreciate, parting with a vast sum of money, for me, without sight and handling of the lens was nerve racking. I was offered a scruffy version without 6-bit coding and no leather case or sans hood cap for £1375 less and think perhaps this may have been the better buy, as I intend on actually using the darn thing. I paid £1728 for the lens and the original Leica coding pushed me into spending more, as did the fact it comes complete with ALL the paperwork and caps etc. Stupid? Perhaps. The Leica coding was done retrospectively and although I started a thread yesterday about coding my 35f2, I do like the fact it has the 'proper' Leica coding.

Usually I'm a hunter of the bargain but I think I've paid a market rate price :-(

I think you paid a reasonable price though hardly a bargain. FFORDES is advertising a used coded Summicron 28mm Asph in M- condition at £1699 with a 10 day approval and 6 months warranty. A private sale is usually cheaper than a dealer as there is no warranty unless the lens is very new.

Box colors are hardly a concern compared to shopping 'blind'....for me, only purchases from reputable Leica dealers, including warranty and service policy.

Jeff

I've only ever purchased one Leica item new and would never do it again. I'm not a LEICAMAN.

I think you paid a reasonable price though hardly a bargain. FFORDES is advertising a used coded Summicron 28mm Asph in M- condition at £1699 with a 10 day approval and 6 months warranty. A private sale is usually cheaper than a dealer as there is no warranty unless the lens is very new.

Thanks. I did not know this firm before. Their prices are rather good. I'd rate the example I purchased as 'as new'. Like I said. I think I paid market price, I'm happy-ish, but who does not love a bargain.

I've only ever purchased one Leica item new and would never do it again. I'm not a LEICAMAN.

I was discussing the purchase of used Leica gear, with dealer warranty (and trustworthiness), not new Leica warranty.  What's being a 'leicamann' got to do with just being a smart shopper?..I would recommend the same for any brand.  And personal insurance, too, to cover everything the warranty does not.

There's more to a 'bargain' than initial price IMO.  The forum has a lot of unfortunate tales to attest...

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

Many thanks for this information.

I've purchased a 28f2 from the Leica Classified facebook group and think perhaps, on reflection I got over excited and over paid by around £200 or so.

Its a complete white boxed example in 'as new' condition, but as you may appreciate, parting with a vast sum of money, for me, without sight and handling of the lens was nerve racking. I was offered a scruffy version without 6-bit coding and no leather case or sans hood cap for £1375 less and think perhaps this may have been the better buy, as I intend on actually using the darn thing. I paid £1728 for the lens and the original Leica coding pushed me into spending more, as did the fact it comes complete with ALL the paperwork and caps etc. Stupid? Perhaps. The Leica coding was done retrospectively and although I started a thread yesterday about coding my 35f2, I do like the fact it has the 'proper' Leica coding.

Usually I'm a hunter of the bargain but I think I've paid a market rate price :-(

You over paid by 10-20% at current market prices - essentially you paid the cost of a complete Wetzlar CLA incl. 6-bit coding on top of a fairly priced non coded item.

But you know - it does not matter a single bit.

If a 28mm is what you want and like to use and if this lens stays with you for the upcoming years (Leica lenses do tend to be usable for a long, long time if treated well), it will help you produce many, many photographs, where in the end it did not matter if you paid proper value, paid double or more for it.

Enjoy your new lens, store the box and paperwork in a dry place (and tell your children about it, as they might be the ones who will find the box many, many years from now).

• Like 1

You over paid by 10-20% at current market prices - essentially you paid the cost of a complete Wetzlar CLA incl. 6-bit coding on top of a fairly priced non coded item.

But you know - it does not matter a single bit.

If a 28mm is what you want and like to use and if this lens stays with you for the upcoming years (Leica lenses do tend to be usable for a long, long time if treated well), it will help you produce many, many photographs, where in the end it did not matter if you paid proper value, paid double or more for it.

Enjoy your new lens, store the box and paperwork in a dry place (and tell your children about it, as they might be the ones who will find the box many, many years from now).

Thanks. I agree although until I posted on this forum about this I didn't know about Ffordes and before that could not find a 28f2 on the second hand market. They have three examples and although the it doesn't matter I do feel stupid.

FYI how did you calculate 10-20%? The item I purchased IS coded.

Imho, when buying from a private seller, original matching box is a very appreciable addon... at least, the proof that the owner has bought it complete (probably new) and has kept it with care about the completness of his good (this, of course, means also that he/she has kept in mind the reselling value.. B) ...) .

When buying from reputable dealers,I personally don't care too much about box... which can be an highly priced addon for very old items (for instance, for "cheap" old lenses like Hektors 135/Elmars 90 a matching box can make the price doubling... and is not too different also for valued items like Summarex or Thambar...)

• Like 2

Imho, when buying from a private seller, original matching box is a very appreciable addon... at least, the proof that the owner has bought it complete (probably new) and has kept it with care about the completness of his good (this, of course, means also that he/she has kept in mind the reselling value.. B) ...) .

When buying from reputable dealers,I personally don't care too much about box... which can be an highly priced addon for very old items (for instance, for "cheap" old lenses like Hektors 135/Elmars 90 a matching box can make the price doubling... and is not too different also for valued items like Summarex or Thambar...)

Thanks for this, I think perhaps you are right. I have confirmed today by Leica London that the lens went to Germany in 2009 for coding. I hope it arrives later this week so I can begin to use it. My first ASPH lens and I love nothing more than shooting wide open. I hope to visit a small restored stately home this weekend so the 28 will be in full use. 

Another point I should add is this: Leica Mayfair are quoting 12 weeks for coding at the moment!

It's that, and the cost, that keep me from sending in my "old" lenses for 6-bit coding. I just have to remember to manually re-set the lens when I change it on the Monochrom. Also have a variety of lens-profile-change presets in Lightroom for when I forget to do that.

It's that, and the cost, that keep me from sending in my "old" lenses for 6-bit coding. I just have to remember to manually re-set the lens when I change it on the Monochrom. Also have a variety of lens-profile-change presets in Lightroom for when I forget to do that.

How does one apply the lens profile in the event of forgetting to set the right one in-camera?