Small "19" beside m on distance scale Black Rigid Summicron

Hello Pico,

Thank you for showing that to us.

A 75mm Summilux that has a measured focal length of exactly 75.0mm should have the engraved number "50".

Something similar to this occurred here on this Forum a few years ago: 

A person wrote that they had purchased a 35mm APO Summicron where instead of the depth of field scale showing the depth of field @ F2 it showed the depth of field @ F1.4. All of the other F stops were appropriately placed on the collar.

It was explained that a number of Leitz/Leica lenses of different focal lengths or/& different apertures have shared similar components over the years. This standardization of components is done by many manufacturers of many types of products, photographic & otherwise, for a variety of reasons. 

The 35mm Summilux Asph & the 35mm APO Summicron share the same depth of field scale collar. The only difference in engraving is that the 35mm APO Summicron shows the depth of field @ F2 while the 35mm Summilux ASPH shows the depth of field For F1.4.

The person had apparently received a lens where the depth of field scale collar for a 35mm Summilux ASPH had been inadvertantly used as the depth of field scale collar on a 35mm APO Summicron.

Both the 75mm Summilux & the 90mm Apo Summicron share the same focusing collar. The difference cosmetically would be the 2 digit numbers in question. Internally: A collar that is also a spacer where the measurement in tenths is 75.0 millimeters has the same 1/10th of a millimeter difference in total length as a spacer measuring 90.0 millimeters.  That is: They both have the same "0" of 1/10th of a millimeter of actual measured difference from the nominal focal length. 

It appears you have an actual Leitz/Leica error.

Best Regards,

Michael

A 75mm Summilux that has a measured focal length of exactly 75.0mm should have the engraved number "50".

It appears you have an actual Leitz/Leica error.

I'm not complaining because the build of this particular sample is outstanding; focus is right on.

I wonder if anyone else has a 75mm Summilux with the same '00'.

As I have written and illustrated before there are a few differences between the generations of 75mm Summilux lenses, although the optics and mechanics are supposed to be identical.

Lenses manufactured before about 1960 did not have these additional external engravings.

Hello Michael

I have that Elmarit 2,8/90 sn1649417 ( from1959?) with small 00 engraving.

Best regards

Antonio

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

To my understanding you have to add the two digit number to the target focal length to get the actual focal length of the lens.

Thus:

75 + 00 gives 75.0 mm

50 + 19 gives 51.9 mm

In my view 75 + 50 would make it an 80.0 mm lens. I have never seen an 50 engraving (or 40, or 30)

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I wonder if anyone else has a 75mm Summilux with the same '00'.

Summilux 75mm, No. 3064xxx, Made in Canada about 1980, 1. Ed. with separate lens hood, has the same '00' engravings at the same position.

75 summilux 1.4   German         sn 35255xx from 1990 has "50" engravings right after the "m" mark under the "t" of feet.

Edited by jmanivelle

Interesting topic! My Summicron 2/50mm of 1960 doesn't have the 19, not on the outside nor on the inside of the barrel. Is has the serial number repeated on the inside, nicele engraved in white numbers. My Hektor 4.5/135mm of 1956 has the serial number inscribed by hand on the inside, as was custom with many older lenses. And it also has "135,5" inscribed inside the barrel, apparently also giving the correct focal length. The black Elmarit 2.8/90mm of 1966 shows "00" on the right of the letter m on the distance scale, as did the 1961 one that I sold a few years ago. Lex

Hello Everybody,

It appears that 1960 was a "more or less" starting date for the beginning of the engraving of the 2 digit number. The actual date (ie:The  90mm Elmarit  in Post #24 above - 1959) varied lens model to lens model. Some lenses never had any engravings of this type at the same time other contemporaries had them.

Sometimes the 2 digit number was positioned reasonably far from the meter/feet engraving, always in the direction away from the Infinity Designation(s). The engravings recording the focal length in 1/10th's of a millimeter seem to always be at a right angle to the other engravings.

Leitz/Leica Historical records are an imprecisely (For us) archived grouping of data that is not always consistent. There are also numerous exceptions, omissions & anomolys.

Solving the problems is part of what makes this type of research interesting to do.

People getting together to share information, like in this Thread, adds significantly to the total pool of information.

Best Regards,

Michael 

Edited by Michael Geschlecht
  • Like 1

Forgot to attach a pic. This is the Elmarit 2.8/80mm that I no longer own, but the position of the "00" is the same, and on exactly the same position. So no difference between 1961 (chrome one) and 1966 (black one).

Lex

Hello Lex,

The position of the 2 numbers is often under the "feet" along side the "m" just like on your 2 lenses. But not always. In some models of some lenses the 2 numbers may be placed further to our right away from the feet/meter engravings as we look at the photo in your Post just above. 

Best Regards,

Michael

• 2 weeks later...

I checked all my older lenses apart from the ones I already mentioned and found similar indications.

- Elmar 2.8/50mm (1961): the '19' appears on the right of the 'm' of the meter scale, and under the word 'feet'.

- Elmar 4/90mm (II) (1963/64 with serial number of 1962): '00' right of the 'm' and under 'feet'.

- Tele-Elmar 4/135mm (1966): it says '60', apparently referring to the actual focal length of 136mm.

- Summicron 2/50mm (III) (1968): '9' appears on the right of the 'm' and under 'feet'. On the optical cell by hand engraved '19' and also '51/9 R'.

- Summilux 1.4/50mm (II) (1981, but engraved 1913-1983): to right of the 'm'  and under 'feet' engraved '13', referring to a focal length of 51.3mm

- Tele-Elmarit-M 2.8/90mm (1984):  '00' on the right of 'm' and 'feet', at some distance.

- Elmarit-M 2.8/135mm (1985): '55' on the right of the 'm' and under 'feet', referring to actual focal length of 135.5mm.

Interestingly none of the 35mm lenses that I have or used to have shows a number like the one mentioned.

Best regards,

Lex

Edited by sandro

Hello Sandro,

I don't think any of the lenses with focal lengths less than 50mm are engraved with the 1/10ths of a millimeter.

Could you tell us some more about your: Summicron 2/50mm (III): '9'  ? 

It would appear to be missing a digit.

Best Regards,

Michael

These small digits are also on very recent lenses... here are my Elmarit M 90 (3.8xx.xxx - 1997) an Summicron M 90 (3.6xx.xxx - 1995) :

And two 135 2,8  one at the start (1964 - 2.0xx.xxx) and the other at the end (1993 - 3.6xx.xxx) of its lifecycle :

Sandro has a Summilux with "13"... while mine (1.88x.xxx) has a "14"...

... while my Tele Elmarit 90 is surely older than Sandro's one  (not a "M") but it too has the "00"

... :) and don't bore you with a picture of my Summicron 50 (1.9xx.xxx) which has its common "19" in the usual position "close to m - under feet".

Edited by luigi bertolotti

Hello Sandro,

I don't think any of the lenses with focal lengths less than 50mm are engraved with the 1/10ths of a millimeter.

Could you tell us some more about your: Summicron 2/50mm (III): '9'  ? 

It would appear to be missing a digit.

Michael,

yes I made a mistake, because of course on the Summicron 2/50mm (III) it says '19', which is also engraved by hand on the inside. I don't understand the meaning of the 'R' which is carved on the black fitting of the optical cell.

Lex