Would you ever sell your Noctilux?

Jan1985

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I owned a Noctilux 0.95 ASPH for a year after purchasing it new with my M240.

I sold it and replaced it with a 50 Lux ASPH. I also had a 35 Lux FLE.

I quickly got tired of the Noctilux look, and once I started stopping it down it didn't make sense to own it. The Summilux is far lighter, far more compact, and much more versatile for every day use. I also prefer the Summilux rendering at f/1.4 versus the Noctilux at f/1.4.

It's been about 15 months since I sold the Nocti and replaced it with a Lux 50 ASPH, and I have absolutely no regrets at all.

I'm glad I sold it when I did. I didn't loose any money on selling then. I would have lost a significant amount of money on selling it today based on 2nd hand value.

I read your article about Nocti. I can understand your Argumentation and 1 year is really Long enough to make a decision based on experience. for me i love the nocti and dont get bored by the look. that is why i wanted it. but ist personal taste. for my weddings it gives a distinctive look which are part of my style. but it is also subjective. summilux is nice lens. and for your the better way...

• Like 1

I did sell my 50 /f1.0

I'm almost ready to say...I will never sell another Leica lens. I always regret it! 

I've always amused by ppl saying they regret selling a lens (or anything). unless you sold it under duress the valid reasons you had to sell it in the first place probably still stands. what makes you think anything has changed? 

I read your article about Nocti. I can understand your Argumentation and 1 year is really Long enough to make a decision based on experience. for me i love the nocti and dont get bored by the look. that is why i wanted it. but ist personal taste. for my weddings it gives a distinctive look which are part of my style. but it is also subjective. summilux is nice lens. and for your the better way...

I agree. The Nocti look can be quite nice for wedding and beauty type of photography.

And as you guessed, this is not a type of photography that I ever do, unless it is portraits of family and friends that are kept private and not shared with the world. And for that use a Noctilux is just overkill, especially for the shoulders, as I usually walk around with the camera on my shoulder for 2-4 hours without resting much. But if I did beauty or emotional type of shooting regularly as a job, I would probably have chosen to keep it, and add a Lux, Cron or Planar as a 2nd 50mm for every day use.

Edited by indergaard

I agree. The Nocti look can be quite nice for wedding and beauty type of photography.

And as you guessed, this is not a type of photography that I ever do, unless it is portraits of family and friends that are kept private and not shared with the world. And for that use a Noctilux is just overkill, especially for the shoulders, as I usually walk around with the camera on my shoulder for 2-4 hours without resting much. But if I did beauty or emotional type of shooting regularly as a job, I would probably have chosen to keep it, and add a Lux, Cron or Planar as a 2nd 50mm for every day use.

Yeah you do a lot of street photography i have seen. That is the difference. Like you say for Portraits it is a wonderful lens, the Nocti. With my MM it can create a look that i was dreaming off all the time. I adore Black& White Portrait Photography and in this Kind i want to improve my style and develop.

Did you work with 50mm APO summicron?

I was fortunate to pick up an F1 a couple years ago very cheaply.....for a Noctilux!  It is an early version.  Definitely a keeper now with an EVF as can focus precisely.  Has doubled in value already, but I can't part with it.  I am glad to read so many prefer F1 over the .95 so I won't be tempted to get one.  It's definitely not my go to lens but fun to see what it can do.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I had the f/1.2 Nocti and sold it when the f/1 came out. After about 10 years I sold it as I wasn't using it that much anymore, but regretted it fairly shortly. So I found another used one (vII) and have used and kept that one through the transition to digital. The whole time I had other 50's: Elmars, Summicrons and Summilux's. 

The Nocti does not come out as often as the Elmar and the Summilux, but more often than the Summicron. I won't sell it again. And I don't want the .95. The 50/1 may be another 50, but it's almost as different as a different focal length. Just like the 75/1.4, it's different enough from the slower lenses to easily decide to keep both.

No, I won't sell it. Mine is the f1 type.

But it is not a lens for all people and all situations. What's more, it may not be of equal merit for all bodies. I did not use it much on the M6, mainly because I shot street scenes in B&W; the lens made the M6 look "bigger" and "noticeable". It was also the lack of color and it is the rendering of colors that adds to its unique personality.

It is now a completely different story on the M9. A joy to use!

Paul

I would certainly dump a Noctilux if I were silly enough to have bought one.

I much more appreciate the rendering of the old Canon 0.95 now

that digital has taken over to fix it. The more refined the Noctilux becomes,

the worst is it in for overall quality. Ugly bokeh.

I much more appreciate the rendering of the old Canon 0.95 now that digital has taken over to fix it.

First, you should tell us which Noctilux model you are talking about. I assume you are talking about.

Also, it would be interesting to understand what you mean by "digital has taken over to fix it"...

In the wrong hands, any lens can produce ugly results.

To 'paint' with a Noctilux you do need to know how to apply the 'paint' as well as when and where.

Think watercolourist trying to use oils! :rolleyes:

Had the f1 and got some unforgettable shots with it. Unforgettable lens. Sold it after about a year because I never found myself taking it with me. So many lenses have amazing, unique character, but I can only afford to have the ones I take with me frequently. No regrets about selling, but I'm very fond of what it did for me the times I did grab it.

• Like 1

I have a 1.0/50 v3 Noctilux (a gift) and  have no interest whatsoever in the .95/50 Noctilux.

So I wouldn't sell it both because it was given to me and because it is my 'Art-50' (no I won't define art but you know what I mean). 

It's imperfections (or character) are exactly what I like about it (which Is what I think Pico was referring to).