Would you ever sell your Noctilux?

Jan1985

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I had a hankering for a Noctilux years ago, and initially went with a modified Canon 50/0.95....hated it. Then I got a Noctilux 50/1.0. It was a much better lens and I occasionally got some really good pictures with it...but for the money, it wasn't worth keeping....I believe I got equal or better (more pleasing to me) results with a Summilux I had acquired, which I continued to use for about 5 years afterwards. Horses for courses I guess.

Yes, I could and may sell my 0.95. Try as I might I can't get excited by the results I'm getting, though that's probably more to do with the failings of the photographer than the lens.

I have a certain hankering for the Summilux 28, but it'd probably make more sense for me to sell my Summilux 35 if I was going for that FL. So I'll most likely keep and persevere with the Nocti at least for the time being.

If you dont get the exptected results than it is better to sell this expensive glass. i can imagine. nocti seems to be a lens you must be made for me. in my it is an easy handling and i dont bother if one Image is not in "perfect" Focus... i go on and try and try... what improved my keepers rate was the viewfinder magnification 1.25x ...

I had a 50/1 Noctilux some years ago. Didn't get on with it at all and sold it with no regrets. My 35/1.4 Pre-Aspheric Summilux on the other hand is the third I have owned and I doubt that this one will be sold off - and the same goes for my second 21/3.4 Super-Angulon. 

A little advice for current owners of the 50/1.0 Noctilux.

If you don't already have a 'Steer' for focussing your Nocti, just get one!

I think it is 'LeicaGoodies' that sell them as after market stuff, along with other Leica goodies.

Anyway, IMO it makes the Nocti the easiest lens of all to focus. Really!

This will turn you around if you have not already.

it just gets that glass working for you.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Damn! I can't take part in this thread, because I don't have a Noctilux to sell.

Don't worry James, Mine is not for sale but I still preach here about it's virtues.

If you did have one, I would urge you not to sell, dependent on your preferred shooting style.

No, I wont sell mine.  I use it and love it on both the M9 and MM.  I had a Canon 50/0.95 when I stumbled  across the Noctilux.  I sold the Canon to help fund the Noctilux. I couldn't walk out of the store without that Nocti.  I miss the Canon, because apparently I had one that was spot on and really a great lens. The Noctilux stays.  Like the 75 Lux, it's a magical lens.

I have had a great idea to help a fellow forum member out. If you are thinking of parting with your Noctilux, but can't quite decide, pass it to me and I will look after it for you for a month or two.

If you don't miss it you can then sell it, or you can have it back. I won't even charge you for the service!

No, I would never sell a Noctilux because I would never buy one.

If I needed that kind of out of focus mojo, I would simply get a Canon 85L-II and 5DR and get to work. I had that 85 when I was a Canon guy for a few years, shot entire ad campaigns with just that insanely good lens. ( I now use the incredible Nikon 85mm 1.8 for most of that work )

Edited by Ai_Print

No, I would never sell a Noctilux because I would never buy one. If I needed that kind of out of focus mojo, I would simply get a Canon 85L-II and 5DR and get to work. I had that 85 when I was a Canon guy for a few years, shot entire ad campaigns with just that insanely good lens.

The Noctilux is not just about the 'out of focus mojo' although it's very pleasing in that area to my eye.  My Noctilux offers me pictures that are not available through any other lens in terms of its rendering of gentle pastel shades, subtleness in the shadows, ability to extract light where there appears to me to be none, the gradual transition from light to shadow, the softness of its vignette and the ability to work as a 'focus scalpel' at extreme shallowness of field.   Plenty has already been written about the rendering of the Noctilux so I'll leave my take at that.  The 75 Summilux comes as close as I've seen and the Mandler magic is unmistakeable to me in both lenses.  If the 85L-II can offer all that then fair play and you'll save yourself a few bob.

Pete. 

• Like 3

A little advice for current owners of the 50/1.0 Noctilux.

If you don't already have a 'Steer' for focussing your Nocti, just get one!

I think it is 'LeicaGoodies' that sell them as after market stuff, along with other Leica goodies.

Anyway, IMO it makes the Nocti the easiest lens of all to focus. Really!

This will turn you around if you have not already.

it just gets that glass working for you.

This widget does look interesting:  http://www.leicagoodies.com/steer.html

I just got the Lenstab for my Noctilux ( https://www.lenstab.com/shop/ ).  I like it so far, but there is one shortcoming - it covers up the distance scale.  I do not use the distance scale all the time, but it does come in handy.

@erl,

Does the Steer let you see the distance scale?

This widget does look interesting:  http://www.leicagoodies.com/steer.html

I just got the Lenstab for my Noctilux ( https://www.lenstab.com/shop/ ).  I like it so far, but there is one shortcoming - it covers up the distance scale.  I do not use the distance scale all the time, but it does come in handy.

@erl,

Does the Steer let you see the distance scale?

What's a distance scale!  LOL

I just focus.

I actually had to go and look at my lens to see what you meant.

No, that scale is visble with the steer.

I had a look at the tab you referenced. I don't like tabs per se, so I would not like that one.

The knobby bits on the steer give a good and fast grab of the otherwise 'mean' little focus ring on the Nocti.

I'll add my support for the Steer making the Noctilux easier to focus too.  I saw Erl using one on his, tried it, and I've used one ever since on my Noctilux and Carl Zeiss Jena 85/2 Sonnar both of which are slightly heavier to focus than I'd like.  (For disclosure I have no connection with Leicagoodies or the Steer other than being a satisfied customer.)

Pete.

I owned a Noctilux 0.95 ASPH for a year after purchasing it new with my M240.

I sold it and replaced it with a 50 Lux ASPH. I also had a 35 Lux FLE.

I quickly got tired of the Noctilux look, and once I started stopping it down it didn't make sense to own it. The Summilux is far lighter, far more compact, and much more versatile for every day use. I also prefer the Summilux rendering at f/1.4 versus the Noctilux at f/1.4.

It's been about 15 months since I sold the Nocti and replaced it with a Lux 50 ASPH, and I have absolutely no regrets at all.

I'm glad I sold it when I did. I didn't loose any money on selling then. I would have lost a significant amount of money on selling it today based on 2nd hand value.

• Like 2