Would you ever sell your Noctilux?

Jan1985

Advertisement (gone after registration)

After a lot of personal experience, discussing in Forums and reading articles one question with the Noctilux came up. The Noctilux seems to be a very polarising lens. Some think it is needless, too expensive, to heavy and DOF is often "not" usable... Other adore this lens very much. I am one of them. Since 3 months i do the main work on my wedding with the noctilux...

my question is... would you ever sell your noctilux? which lens you would buy instead for it?

...would you ever sell your noctilux?...

No. 

I had to move Heaven and Earth to be able to acquire it back in 2008.  It is the f/1.0 version, which I prefer to the latest, greatest f/0.95 ASPH.  I would love to have the 28 Summilux, but not at the price of selling my Noctilux. 

Edited by Carlos Danger
  • Like 2

I could sell it if I had to, but I would buy again....

A lot of rubbish talked about the Noctilux, I have the f1.0 and yes its large, but in the context of DSLR it's still very small.... It's also very usable, do the maths and a 90 F2 is porbably close for DOF wide open, I know my 75 summilux has a smaller DOF than the 50 Noctilux.

At f1.4- f8 it's lovely too !

• Like 1

I could sell it if I had to, but I would buy again....

A lot of rubbish talked about the Noctilux, I have the f1.0 and yes its large, but in the context of DSLR it's still very small.... It's also very usable, do the maths and a 90 F2 is porbably close for DOF wide open, I know my 75 summilux has a smaller DOF than the 50 Noctilux.

At f1.4- f8 it's lovely too !

Yes i have the same oppinion. In the german part of l-Forum a lot of told how heavy this lens is. but in comparison to the DSLR it is only a toy for me, too! i have the 50 0.95. but the the 1.0 nocti is very Special and has character.

• Like 1

In the german part of l-Forum a lot of told how heavy this lens is. but in comparison to the DSLR it is only a toy

I think this renders the idea ;)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 5

I think this renders the idea ;)

The Canon 50mm 1.2 590grams and the Nocti 0.95 700grams. But you must see the Combo with a 5D between and m9 and nocti... And the lenses i used often on wedding were the 85 1.2L or the Canon 200mm f/2L IS with the 1dx... that was very heavy... the 50 1.2 i have too and is one of the good and light lenses in the Canon lineup. but sharpness @1.2 is whack compared to sharpness of the nocti @0.95

Seeing from front lens, Canon 72mm filter and 58mm for my first Noctilux 1.0:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Even more impressive.

I don't know why Canon is so large with same specifications, and it handle 11 lens elements with 2 aspheres.

AF ?

Arnaud

I have yet to bond with my 0.95.  It's not really a night lens: the purple fringing and coma are as bad, if not worse, as with almost any fast lens.  It's also not fantastically sharp wide open outside a small central area.  Yes, backgrounds, melt, in the right circumstances, but the Summilux also makes 1970s style soft backgrounds, and it is much lighter.  But I am hanging on in there, because my experience is that Leica lenses are designed the way that they are for a reason; you just have to discover what it is.

I don't know why Canon is so large with same specifications, and it handle 11 lens elements with 2 aspheres.

AF ?

The AF certainly impacts on the overall size of the lens (barrel).

A SLR lens does not have to worry about RF clutter, so designers are not constrained by size.

My educated guess for the larger front lens(es) diameter is to reduce vignetting, which is much lower compared to the Noctilux 50/1.

Also, thanks to the more complex design, the Canon is better corrected than the Noctilux 50/1.

After a lot of personal experience, discussing in Forums and reading articles one question with the Noctilux came up. The Noctilux seems to be a very polarising lens. Some think it is needless, too expensive, to heavy and DOF is often "not" usable... Other adore this lens very much. I am one of them. Since 3 months i do the main work on my wedding with the noctilux...

my question is... would you ever sell your noctilux? which lens you would buy instead for it?

I sold my Noct 1.0 because of focus shift. Later I bought a 0.95 which I like..beside the size, and didnt need f0.95/super shallow dof that often. So I sold that. Have a 50 APO now and love it.

• Like 1

I sold my Noct 1.0 because of focus shift. Later I bought a 0.95 which I like..beside the size, and didnt need f0.95/super shallow dof that often. So I sold that. Have a 50 APO now and love it.

That is a good Point. I think the nocti is mainly a lens for wide open shooters by heart, than in some situations Need stop down, but do most of their work @0.95. for any other things you are totally with a lighter and smaller Leica lens like the APO or the summilux...

Yes, I could and may sell my 0.95. Try as I might I can't get excited by the results I'm getting, though that's probably more to do with the failings of the photographer than the lens.

I have a certain hankering for the Summilux 28, but it'd probably make more sense for me to sell my Summilux 35 if I was going for that FL. So I'll most likely keep and persevere with the Nocti at least for the time being.

My Nocti 50/1.0 has been through many 'wars' with me. We are both survivors. Both been rebuilt several times. I'm currently under the latest regeneration but the Nocti presses on indefatigably!

No, I would not sell it, despite the huge profit it would show me. (Don't ask what I paid for it!)

Besides it already shows a profit with the images it delivers.

• Like 1