Fomapan 100R -Black and white reversal film

}{B

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'd like to try some of this but it appears to need its own type of developer which the commercial lab I use probably wouldn't stock and so I'd have to risk it in E6 chemicals.

Has anyone used Fomapan 100R and if so was it processed as an E6 film and with what result?

An example of what could be expected from this film would be useful.

It is a B&W reversal film so you can not use an E-6 processing because E6 is dissolving all Silver.

This is the way to go:

http://www.fotohuisrovo.nl/documentatie/F_pan_R_en.pdf

In the Foma kit Potassiumbichromate is replaced by Potassiumpermanganate.

In fact all B&W films with clear layer you can develop in this way:

Rollei Retro 80S/400S

Agfa Scala / Adox Silvermax

There will be a new reverse processing kit available soon, from Klaus Wehner were you can develop in a smart way (first developer is later used as second developer) with excellent results.

BTW: Fomapan R100 is in 35mm out of production. Message from the Czech factory:

I am sorry to inform you that the Fomapan 100 R 35mm is temporarily unavailable due to technical problems in production. We don´t intend to stop the production, but unfortunately, now we are not able tell you a prospect when the problem will be solved and we will be able to supply this type of films again.

In fact nothing new for B&W reverse processing, only a long way to go, time consuming with many steps incl. a second exposure so you need a clear type reel for it.

About the Klaus Wehner processing:

https://www.flickr.com/groups/2808569@N23

or:

http://www.schwarzweissdia.de/

Edited by fotohuis

Thanks for the information on Fomapan100R. I suspected that it would not be suitable for the E6 process. Looking at the Fomapan instructions on developing and it looks more time consuming to process than black and white negative film even if I could get the chemicals.

It was just a thought as I'd not seen this film on sale before and I didn't know what process it used. Thanks again.

Just for the record - ANY B&W silver film can be processed into a positive transparency. Via the same chemical steps. Kodak used to make a kit for processing Panatomic-X, and later Tmax 100, to positives. But films designed specifically for reversal processing (eg, Foma 100R, the late Agfa Scala) usually perform better, having:

1) a totally clear base, instead of the grayish or purplish base of most "regular" B&W films - for clean, bright highlights

2) extra silver for a Dmax that is blacker than the gray most negative films produce at maximum density

3) A higher contrast curve in general to reproduce the tones of a final print rather than a good negative

The extra steps involved are not especially complex:

1) after developing the film to a "normal" negative image (except higher contrast)...

2) remove or dissolve or subtract all the metallic silver of that negative image, via a bleach - the permanganate step (other chemicals can be used) - without affecting the unexposed/undeveloped silver halides that represent the dark parts of the original scene

3) re-expose the whole film to light, to expose or fog those remaining silver halides

4) redevelop the roll, to get black silver from those silver halides in what were the unexposed areas.

Fix, wash and dry as normal.

In short - develop the negative image - remove the negative, and what's left is the positive image - develop the positive.

BTW - if you want monochrome positives from E6, you can cross-process Ilford XP2 C-41 "B&W" film in E6. But it usually has a color tint (brownish or purplish) and very flat contrast. Way back when (1999), I asked Kodak's film division manager why they could not create a made-to-purpose monochrome E6 film (an "XP2 clone" with extra contrast/Dmax). He said the color tints were the problem - the E6 process is not absolutely consistent, and while that is usually unnoticeable in color pictures (unless one only photographs gray cards and white walls), it would be glaringly obvious in B&W slides, as one roll would come out ever-so slightly purple, and the next batch ever-so-slightly green, and so on. On their own they would be acceptable - but shown back to back in a slide show, or side-by-side in a portfolio, the color variations would stand out.

Above mentioned films Rollei Retro 80S/400S are Agfa Gevaert Aviphot 80 E1, resp. Aviphot 200 E1 films made on Clear Polyester layer and have a higher contrast.

Silvermax is in fact an Agfa Scala copy also especially made on clear layer and a higher Silver content for a higher Dmax.

The same for this Fomapan R100 film, also available as cine DS8 and S8.

Trying to make XP2 Super in E6, you can expose on E.I. 64 but you will end with low Dmax positives with a Green cast for the reason mentioned already above.

In the mentioned Klaus Wehner set you can do:

Silvermax/Scala

Fomapan R100

Rollei Retro 400S / Superpan 200 (same emulsion)

Maybe some other films too.

Klaus tested already the first 3 films and I hope succeed with the Retro 400S/Superpan 200 soon.

Thanks for the comprehensive replies. Black and White reversal is one film I've never tried. If it used a more commonly available process I would try a roll or two but as it is I'll stick to standard B&W or XP2 super.