Lightroom / Leica perpetual licence and Adobe Creative Cloud

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm a standalone LR user with an M9 and a Q.  Currently considering my workflow options.  I process RAW on a MacBook and like to carry and show my results on my iPad.  

The photographers deal with Adobe would provide LR as a cloud service and is quite an attractive proposition.  I may use Photoshop occasionally, but don't use it at present.

Questions?    

Should I install LR6 with the Leica perpetual licence AND have the CC service running in parallel?  

Do they conflict and will there be more than one LR catalogue?    

Is the dual service going to introduce confusion?

Thanks.

You should use the CC version of Lightroom, it is updated more frequently than the standalone version. Consequently they should not share a catalogue in case some changes are made to the database.

They will run in parallel.

Edited by Exodies
  • Like 1

I didn't do a clean uninstall of my standalone LR before getting CC and it caused problems. Adobe does wonderful graphics software, but its licence maintenance and software upgrade service leave a lot to be desired. Others may have had better experience. But the decision was well worth it

• Like 1

I have yet to figure out what I get from CC over CS6 other than it processed raw files from D750 Nikon sooner without going DNG.   I get all the updates, and in my opinion they are worthless for photography.  I hate LR for many reasons most of all it needs a library and one can not control color space leaving areas out of gamut when going to print.    This is most easily fixed in ACR when you know the destination color space.  

I am sure some people will love it.   

KEEP RUNNING CS6 until the OS will not support it further.

Edited by tobey bilek
  • Like 1

I hate LR for many reasons most of all it needs a library and one can not control color space leaving areas out of gamut when going to print.    This is most easily fixed in ACR when you know the destination color space.  

I am sure some people will love it.   

Count me among those who like LR, which uses ProPhoto RGB, the largest color space, for processing.  For printing, I use custom profiles based on my specific printer and papers, and can easily soft proof using those profiles (or one could choose a color space).   Simple.   LR also provides for choice of color space for export purposes.

The library is great, too....  I haven't felt the need to upgrade from CS 4.

Different strokes....

Jeff

• Like 5

But the decision was well worth it

Perhaps i should explain why: I used LR since v3, and was very comfortable with it. Occasionally I used Photoshop Elements, but this is too limited (layers, masking, colour depth, context-aware tools etc). Buying Photoshop CS would have been very expensive as a standalone for occasional use. The CC photographers' subscription works out at not far short of the same amount as i paid for LR, allowing for paid upgrades every couple of years, and gives PS as well. So, for my usage, it made sense.

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The photographers deal with Adobe would provide LR as a cloud service ........  

In case you're under a misapprehension.....

The deal is not a "cloud" service, it is just a subscription model for renting software. The software is loaded on your device and stays there, as does your catalogue and images.

You may understand this already - if so my apologies.

• Like 1

Although I do have perpetual Lightroom licences and several CS versions too, I use the creative cloud photographers' bundle only. The digital asset management functions of Lr are invaluable on their own to me. The developing module functions do almost everything I want and where I need Ps unique functions I access those within Lr very simply (CMD E / CTRL E). With print profiles installed for Ps they are available within the Lr print module too and there are a number of advantages/conveniences in printing via that as well.

Effectively Ps (the capabilities that I use of it) acts as a plug in for Lr for me.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Count me among those who like LR, which uses ProPhoto RGB, the largest color space, for processing.  For printing, I use custom profiles based on my specific printer and papers, and can easily soft proof using those profiles (or one could choose a color space).   Simple.   LR also provides for choice of color space for export purposes.

The library is great, too....  I haven't felt the need to upgrade from CS 4.

Different strokes....

Jeff

The strong point of LR is that whilst using Prophoto it converts the preview to something your monitor can handle. If you were to use Prophoto as such in your editing software you would run into gamut trouble as there is not one monitor that can render the colourspace.

The strong point of LR is that whilst using Prophoto it converts the preview to something your monitor can handle. If you were to use Prophoto as such in your editing software you would run into gamut trouble as there is not one monitor that can render the colourspace.

Jeff Schewe dismisses this rationale (citing his work with Bruce Fraser) and recommends working on images in ProPhoto RGB (assuming one understands color management).  While he notes that displays don't show all colors, modern wide gamut printers take much better advantage of the extra data.  He also dismisses the notion that color accuracy is affected, as some suggest.  His major cautions are to work in 16 bit and NOT to hand off files to others using the ProPhoto color space.  [ See Jeff Schewe, The Digital Negative.]  

LR uses ProPhoto RGB in its develop module for good reason, even for now....and even more so if monitors ever catch up.

Jeff 

Edited by Jeff S