Developing film

Wayne

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've taken the Pepsi challenge and I prefer the squeegee, just providing an opposing view to consider.  It's just a squeegee dude, calm down no need to get insulting.  This is suppose to be fun remember.

It's a bit of a dichotomy you've got yourself into there. You have the laudable democratic right of an opposing view, but feel insulted when somebody else has a view to rival it. That's complicated.

You and your squeegee seem to have hit it off, but while somebody is learning to process film I'm not going to be the one who has fun spending their money and wasting their time, or visa versa. The OP may well end up using a squeegee, but if they can go through life without it how can that possibly be worse than gambling each time they use it?

Steve

My experience with squeegees is that the most important thing is that they are perfectly clean and in good condition. Rinse thoroughly before using. You want to eliminate any possibility of something that will abrade the film. For the same reason the final rinse water with the photoflo must be perfectly clean - again, nothing that could cause abrasion. 

Also, photoflo or similar is necessary - otherwise there will almost certainly be watermarks. 

Thanks again for all the great advise and direction. I received the Paterson NOS developing tank. Next up, sundries and chemicals.

One thing that came to mind the other day while I was pondering the prospect of scanning negatives was a question about dynamic range, and all the other editing options  in Lightroom: Once you scan the negative, does the scanned image behave and perform like any other digital image when it comes to digital PP?

Thanks again for all the great advise and direction. I received the Paterson NOS developing tank. Next up, sundries and chemicals.

One thing that came to mind the other day while I was pondering the prospect of scanning negatives was a question about dynamic range, and all the other editing options  in Lightroom: Once you scan the negative, does the scanned image behave and perform like any other digital image when it comes to digital PP?

Hey Wayne,

The chems you can get from Freestyle Photographic. They are inexpensive and they ship (some places won't ship certain chemicals)

As for Lightroom; when you scan your negative you want it to be very flat...no dynamic range. Then when you bring it into LR it behaves basically like any other image, though in my limited experience, not exactly the same. You'll figure out what it needs.

In my trials so far, my negative scans needed far more contrast curving than usual. Much more than a digital file would need. And I noticed that the file took more easily to sharpening also. I never sharpened my digital files...except for the raw files a LITTLE bit.

You'll figure it out...just start at the top and work your way down. :)

• 2 weeks later...