Leica D LUX 9 - Advice / Views please ....

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am travelling to SE Asia in January 2016 and do not want to carry a lot of heavy gear and lenses.

What I ideally require is a compact type camera that produces very good stills and great video.

I tend to showcase my work on my mac book , TV and in prints - generally A3 size , occasionally 18"x12"  

I assume that the Leica is up to the job ?

I would love to hear about your experiences with the camera and the quality of its image.

Furthermore , the Rep at my local photographic shop stated that the Leica 109 and the Panasonic LX100 are essentially the same camera i.e. lens design - He stated however that the processing in the Leica is somewhat different - He also stated that the glass used in the Leica camera is different to the glass used in the Panasonic - Is this right ?

Thank you very much for your kind, expert, considered replies.

Adam.  

Apparently there is a difference in the processing of the images, as for the glass I have not heard that before...........could be the start of an Urban Legend though, well done  :D

All I know is the D-Lux says "Made in Japan" on it's bottom where as the Panny does not.......China I believe, if that makes a difference to you?

The D-Lux is well up to your trip's requirements.

Adam, hello and welcome!

Hmm. good questions.

Okay, two main deciding factors here are zoom range, and post processing.

The main differences between the 109 and my recommendation, the 114, are size and zoom range. The 109 is very small, the 114 less so. I'm running both a D Lux and the V Lux 4, the predecessors of the cameras I'm mentioning, and they're both much smaller and lighter than one would have expected for cameras that perform so well.

The 109 gives a decent wide angle to a mid tele - the equivalent to the 28-35-50-90mm lenses of the past. The 114 packs in something like a 28 to a 400mm lens, a superzoom that I have found supremely useful for my own photographic style. In fact, the reason I'm still using the V Lux 4 is that it goes out to 600mm at an equivalent of f/2.8, which is something to behold, even with its tiny sensor.

So the zoom factor is one thing.

The next is post processing. Specifically the onboard treatment of JPEGs. 

Both the Leica and Panasonic variants of both the cameras we're talking about here, the 109 and the 114, output both JPEGS and RAW. 

The RAW out of Panasoncs and Leicas seem to be almost the same, so if you're thinking about, and happy with, working with RAW outputs, then either camera brand will be fine.

If, however, you're mainly thinking of JPGS, then the Leica software gives the more Leica-looking images, and that's one main reason why most of us prefer that brand and that look.

The other reason, of course, is bragging rights. Resale value attaches more to that than anything else, I think, and Leicas do hold their value more than Panasonics do.

The glass would seem to be identical. I think that in the older days Leica had staff oversee the PanaLeica assembly lines to QC their own product to Leica standards, but that's unsubstantiated, by me at least.

Looking on this and other sites, I've been reading quite numerous problems with 109's, so definitely caveat emptor and I'd say get in contact with Leica UK and voice your concerns before you buy.

Whichever camera you choose, I'd buy sooner, thoroughly test the camera out while it's still under warranty, and make sure everything is fully sorted before your trip.

One more thing - although I don't own either camera at this point in time, I have owned a 109 (before I returned it) and I do have a local (Los Angeles) Leica shop, and I've been in there trying the 114 out against my V Lux 4.

The smaller cameras are, well, smaller. 

Shooting 4k video with these smaller cameras are a botheration for me because even though both the 109 and the 114 have VR, the 109 simply shakes more in my hands. The 114 is bigger and heavier, and so doesn't. And I switched from being a pro photographer to a pro cinematographer many years ago, so I do have extensive experience with holding cameras.

So be aware that "I don't want to carry heavy gear" might mean that you'd still have to carry lighter gear, and that means a tripod, most definitely if you're going to want to shoot decent 4k on either the 109 or the 114 that you're going to be able to use afterwards.

Now the tripod can of course be carbon fiber and thus lighter, but I wouldn't scrimp on it, nor on a decent fluid head, especially in low light or when on the longer end of the 114.

Both cameras can yield great images, even up to A2.

But lighter means less inertia means more camera movement, and slower shutter speeds or higher ASA/ISO's are all enemies of final print quality.

Enjoy your 109 or 114. Well sorted, either will be great for your needs.

Best

Chris

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I am travelling to SE Asia in January 2016 and do not want to carry a lot of heavy gear and lenses.

What I ideally require is a compact type camera that produces very good stills and great video.

I tend to showcase my work on my mac book , TV and in prints - generally A3 size , occasionally 18"x12"  

I assume that the Leica is up to the job ?

I would love to hear about your experiences with the camera and the quality of its image.

Furthermore , the Rep at my local photographic shop stated that the Leica 109 and the Panasonic LX100 are essentially the same camera i.e. lens design - He stated however that the processing in the Leica is somewhat different - He also stated that the glass used in the Leica camera is different to the glass used in the Panasonic - Is this right ?

Adam.  

I was about to buy the Leica 109 earlier this year but was offered the LX 100 complete with case ,extra battery and 16 gig SD card plus 2 year warranty for £499.00.

this is about 50% of the Leica 109 price.

I have used it extensively for 9month. Have printed to A3 + and been pleased with the results. After trying a 109 I am inclined to think if the firmware is different it's just the bit that says Panasonic or Leica on shutting the camera down.

I used the £500 I saved to fund my new Epson A2 printer. Other people will think a red dot is worth the money.

BrianP

"I am travelling to SE Asia in January 2016 and do not want to carry a lot of heavy gear and lenses.

What I ideally require is a compact type camera that produces very good stills and great video.................109 and the Panasonic LX100 are essentially the same camera i.e. lens design - He stated however that the processing in the Leica is somewhat different - He also stated that the glass used in the Leica camera is different to the glass used in the Panasonic - Is this right ?

Adam. " 

Hi Adam,

I have owned Leica Dlux 109 for 2 months. Fantastic camera and truly excellent stills, 4K video and HD video. ( for sample images see Leica DLUX "Post your type 109 images here" on Leica forum). The Panasonic LX100 is as you know essentially the same camera, and Panasonic are offering on the LX100 a 5 year warranty and £200 cashback if  bought between 27th August 2015 and 7th September 2015 -  Purchase price after cashback £399. e.g. Wilkinsons  who I know from experience, are a great company to deal with and offer friendly, excellent, knowledgeable service.

<a href="http://www.wilkinson.co.uk/panasonic-lumix-lx100-silver.html?gclid=CO3E69Wt2ccCFUcTwwodiTgPWw">http://www.wilkinson.co.uk/panasonic-lumix-lx100-silver.html?gclid=CO3E69Wt2ccCFUcTwwodiTgPWw</a>

Good luck with your decision,

Regards

David

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The d-lux 109 is a great camera. I have been using it since December. I have also used the LX-3 by Panasonic (D-lux 4 equivalent) but it was stolen. The Pana was also a great camera.

Both Pana/Leica cameras have identical sensors, electronics. They differ in ergonomics, quality of built.  Leica is more solid, has a better warranty and you get Lightroom. If you only shoot jpeg, then Leica files will differ from Panasonic, if you shoot raw there is no difference. It is not clear if Leica has different lens form the Pana. Most testers agree that raw files do not differ. Maybe Leica has more quality control as far a lens, maybe they can pick from the top of the pile. Maybe not. There is no evidence that the Leica cameras have superior or different lens.  

You cannot go wrong with either camera. I purchased a Leica after my old LX-3 was stolen, but I wanted Lightroom. I am happy with my choice. For a 350 extra you get the software, better warranty, quality control (made in Japan), some say better jpeg. But the raw files are probably the same, and if there are differences in the lens you will not see them in raw.

One last thing DXO does not support D-lux 109, it does support LX-100. Also LX-100 accessories like case are much cheaper.