MP a la carte with Vulkanit

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm about to place an order for an a la carte MP in silver chrome. The only decision I haven't made is the cladding material. The standard MP cladding looks nice but I would prefer something a little more textured. I understand Leica recently changed the Vulkanit material to make it a little smoother and more matte. Does anyone have a solver chrome MP (or any other M body) with the new Vulkanit? If so I would be very grateful for a pic or two.

This is the only information I can find regarding the new material, but I am still not 100% sure it shows the latest Vulkanit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCPk-VdtK0Y

• Like 1

I'm about to place an order for an a la carte MP in silver chrome. The only decision I haven't made is the cladding material. The standard MP cladding looks nice but I would prefer something a little more textured. I understand Leica recently changed the Vulkanit material to make it a little smoother and more matte. Does anyone have a solver chrome MP (or any other M body) with the new Vulkanit? If so I would be very grateful for a pic or two.

This is the only information I can find regarding the new material, but I am still not 100% sure it shows the latest Vulkanit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCPk-VdtK0Y

This help?

I wanted the old M3 style. I've come to like this much better, and better too than the 'sharkskin'.

Enjoy,

s-a

Thans s-a. That looks really good  :)

Can you confirm this is the current Vulkanit available via the a la carte program?

No.  :(

I'd like to be able to but, this is Leica. What I have I have described to others as being what I've seen on the M(240). Peng's looks ever so slightly 'rounder' but it might just be the light. I tried to get a raking light to show the vertical profile. More importantly, if it's the same material then it will be grippier than my M3's new covering (from Aki Asahi). Quite a bit more secure. My covering does not look like the Vulkanit shown in the configurator right now; that's more M3-ish. There was some kind of screw-up in the delivery of my MP but I was never made privy to what that was and I never bothered to ask for specifics since I really like the look and feel of the covering/camera I got. Emotion aside, you have right to be concerned since, if I remember correctly, al la carte includes a no-return stipulation.

Sorry I can't be of greater assistance. They are really nice cameras.

s-a

Hi Maximus,

I did an alacarte earlier this year. Didn't take any of the coverings offered in the program but instead asked for the black covering that comes in today's M-P. See pic. 453bda197cfd86a1b77ff7302b5fb15b.jpg

I really like that! Do you have any more photos? Did you also specify the silver battery cover and if so did you get a black one too?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi Max,

Mine , bought new in last  july and manufactured in 2015

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/8697-i-love-my-mp/?p=2807911

A fabulous camera , look at "I like film" in  "Other"

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/205842-i-like-filmopen-thread/page-313

Best

Henry

I think the recent vulcanite (like in a picture of Peng Kang) is less solid (vulcanite

recently changed on my M9)

...  anyway, an MP remains a MP :)

Edited by Doc Henry

I really like that! Do you have any more photos? Did you also specify the silver battery cover and if so did you get a black one too?

This are 2 more pics that I have. I'm not sure if it'll help.

This vulcanite has a more matt finish and I've grown to like it.

Yes, I asked for the chromed battery cover and at the same time to have the serial number and "LEICA MP" engraved on the hotshoe instead of the top plate. And yes, I get another black battery cover, too. The one with the screw head and with no leather insert. 8c2b6eee0721a018a54b43447f4e6526.jpg7b99f19c6722139a22b84bcec4926894.jpg

Edited by Peng Kang Hill
  • Like 1

Hi Maximus,

I remembered that I chose the covering that's used on the current M-P models. This texture is slightly more coarse than the one they're offering as ala carte, which is quite close to the M-A. I did a side-by-side comparison at the Leica Shop here in Singapore.

I thought the chrome battery cover would add a nice aesthetic touch, too.

Thank you for the help everyone  :)

Leica have confirmed that the M-P is covered with the new Vulkanit material so I have placed my order for an MP today. Here's the specification :-

__Your personalized Leica à la carte

1.0 Type of camera - LEICA MP
2.0 Color - Silver chrome finish
3.0 Rewinding device - as MP
4.0 Type of top cover - Classic
5.0 Controls - MP style silver chrome finish 

6.0 Leather cladding - Vulkanit
7.0 Viewfinder magnification - 0.72
8.0 Bright-line frame sets - 0.72

Thank you for the help everyone  :)

Leica have confirmed that the M-P is covered with the new Vulkanit material so I have placed my order for an MP today. Here's the specification :-

__Your personalized Leica à la carte

1.0 Type of camera - LEICA MP

2.0 Color - Silver chrome finish

3.0 Rewinding device - as MP

4.0 Type of top cover - Classic

5.0 Controls - MP style silver chrome finish 

6.0 Leather cladding - Vulkanit

7.0 Viewfinder magnification - 0.72

8.0 Bright-line frame sets - 0.72

Gonna be gorgeous.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

My apologies. Here's a quick iPhone snap. Very happy with the MP and so pleased I went for the Vulkanit option. It really is the most grippy covering I have experienced on a Leica.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

My apologies. Here's a quick iPhone snap. Very happy with the MP and so pleased I went for the Vulkanit option. It really is the most grippy covering I have experienced on a Leica.

So, so pretty! I went with BP but, if I had it to choose again it would be even more difficult than it was the first time. Full engraving too. My,my, my.