50mm Summilux Pre-A Version 3 vs ASPH

jmui852

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hey guys, I just bought my first Leica (M240) and am planning on purchasing a 50mm Lux. However I cannot decide whether I want the ASPH Version or the pre-A version as I ahev heard mixed reviews. How would you guys compare the two, in terms of bokeh / sharpness / rendering etc? Any kind advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

• Like 1

I have used the ASPH extensively but never owned one.  I have a v.2 pre-ASPH.  The v.3 differs mainly in the mount, which has a more common e46 filter size, and an integral pull-out shade.  It was mechanically configured to focus to 70cm vs 1m but the optics are identical, and at 1m the v.2 already needs to be stopped down for best performance away from the center.   As to differences between the pre- and ASPH, they are quite notable, as the pre- dates from the 1960's.  The pre is very sharp in the center, with the outer areas improving significantly by f/11, but even then it doesn't quite reach the level of the ASPH wide open IMO.   I happen to like the rendering of the pre-, it has enough residual aberrations to give it that so-called "Leica Glow", and I find it lends itself better for my purposes in low-light "mood" shots.  I also own the current optical version of the Summicron and it is my all-round 50.  Mine is the tabbed version and is very light, compact and takes an e39 filter same as my other travel lenses.  However if I were limited to just one 50 and size, weight and filter size weren't issues, I would prefer the ASPH.  In fact I would prefer it to the APO Summicron, as the Lux has the full added stop and costs significantly less on the used market. 

My advice is to ignore APO and all similar metrics and look for renditions that you enjoy. Technical charts will not lead you to satisfaction.

Lens metrics entirely ignore what human beings appreciate. Leica's Pete Karbe designs are perfect lenses based upon the requisites of optics, and he succeeds,  but his effort does not correspond with aesthetics.

Edited by pico
  • Like 16

I use a 50mm Summilux version 2 that dates from 1962 on my M240.  My father gave me the lens along with his M3.  It's a very good lens and I've  wondered if I should 'upgrade' to a new 50mm Summilux asph sometime but I'm still undecided.   I discussed this in the Leica store in Berlin.  Rather than trying to sell me a new lens they looked at my old lens and told me that I should get the lens serviced since the focusing was a bit stiff.  I did and the focusing is very smooth. This should last another 50 years.

Here is a link to photos taken using the 50mm pre-asph Summilux

https://www.flickr.com/photos/81529091@N04/albums/72157656887275878

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I had a copy of the 50 Summilux version 3 in the Millennium configuration (black paint, 46mm thread, scalloped focus ring, no focus tab).  It was the same optical setup as the 50 Summilux #11868 (last non- ASPH version). 

The 50 Summilux ASPH will focus a bit closer, be a bit more sharp and possibly have a bit more contrast than the #11868 or the Millennium.  The bokeh is totally different, though.  The older non-ASPH lens has a smoother bokeh to my eye.  As with the Noctilux 0.95 ASPH vs the Noctilux f/1.0, the ASPH lenses have an unsettling rendering of the out of focus areas - to my eye.  Others may disagree and prefer the ASPH fingerprint, which is their prerogative

If I were shopping for a 50mm M lens, I would try to find a near mint Summilux #11868.  Failing that, I would go for a new 50 Summicron non-APO.  The 50 Summicron is what I consider to be a good all-around 50 for the M240, as lens speed is not as critical with the M240 as it is with a film M.  If you need f/1.4 speed in a 50mm, the 50 Summilux ASPH is hard to beat, even though my preference is for the non-ASPH 50mm lenses.

As for the 50mm f/2 APO, I will pass.  I cannot see the wisdom in paying $3744 USD more (a 100% plus premium) than the price of the 50 Summilux ASPH, which is a more than capable lens and is what many would call a 50mm lens for life.

JMHO/YMMV.

Edited by Carlos Danger
  • Like 3

I have both (the pre-asph in LTM). Both are fantastic. Wide open both are sharp in the centre, the asph also in the field. The asph has the edge technically, I've read (as it should have). From an image quality perspective however one would be happy with either of them all one's life.

In practical use there are some differences. The closest focus distance of the pre-asph may be a limitation to some (even moreso for the LTM which goes to 1m). The focus tab is a difference, too, that people tend to have views about. 

As for "rendering" one has to decide for oneself. The pre-asph (and I believe there are optical differences among the pre-asph versions) can produce very clean out of focus areas but sometimes gives nicely "busy" backgrounds at the wider f-stops. The asph is more or less always the same, it is a very well-corrected lens.

• Like 3

I've owned both (v.4 for pre-asph, use an M9).  I eventually sold the pre-asph because I loved the super-sharpness on the ASPH at 1.4, but I sometimes regret selling the pre-asph because it had a really special look that I loved-- a little less modern than the ASPH. In the end both are great and I'd be happy with either.

• Like 3

If you shot M9, I would say the asph is a no brainer as that is a very potent combo.

The asph comes across differently on the 240, though some editing may bring it back toward the more organic look it has on the M9.

Technically, I would just read Puts on the subject: he is very clear:

http://www.imx.nl/photo/leica/lenses/lenses/page57.html

The old Lux is optimized to shoot very fast, and looses punch as you stop down, or so Erwin claims anyway. He is usually right. The asph will seriously drop your jaw at f/8 and is a fantastic landscape lens, as well as a fast portrait lens.

Why do some prefer the older lens?

"Bo-ke aficionados will have mixed feelings about the performance of the lens. The unsharpness gradient is relatively smooth in the near focus range when the fore- and background planes are close to the sharpness plane. But when the distance between main subject and fore-/background increases the unsharpness subjects lose shape and form. Especially when the unsharpness areas are backlit, the shapes become very harsh and rough. This behaviour is due to the reduction of the astigmatism and curvature of field as is a small price am gladly willing to pay. With careful selection of the background and at full aperture, you can produce very intriguing natural portraits."

Puts. From the article above. He concludes:

"The new Summilux-M 1:1.4/50mm ASPH is the best high-speed general-purpose lens in the Leica range.[written before 50 APO]Its wide open performance is outstandingly good (in some respects like flare even better than the Sumicron at f/2). Stopped down it is better than the Summicron 2/50mm. It can be used as the universal standard lens and can be deployed without any restrictions in image quality at all apertures and over the whole image field. If you want only one lens for your M camera, this one should be the prime choice. "

Interesting, in this article, the 50 cron (pre-APO) has one advantage over the ASPH: closeup performance. The CV 50/1.5 is also considered, and he regards it as a "slight improvement over the pre-asph Lux", due to the aspherical elements. I can see why so many love that lens.

Of course, sharpness is not everything, but:

"On a more quantitative level, I made pictures with the older version of the Summilux at 5.6 and with the new version at 1.4. Even experienced users could not see a difference. I did check this again at the optical bench and indeed here the same conclusions holds. The new one is almost four stops ahead of the previous version. This is an incredible result, given the fact that the older Summilux got very high praise in the past for its performance."

Edited by uhoh7
  • Like 3

The 50 ASPH is easily 4-5 stops ahead in sharpness and aberrations, coma etc., meaning the ASPH is at 1.4 just as good as the non ASPH at 4.0/5.6 :)

Edited by jip

The 50 ASPH is easily 4-5 stops ahead in sharpness and aberrations, coma etc., meaning the ASPH is at 1.4 just as good as the non ASPH at 4.0/5.6 :)

In the central area.  The ASPH is sharper farther out to the corners.  Pre-ASPH reaches its best corner sharpness f/8-f/11 but still doesn't quite match even the latest non-APO Cron.  Of course you would need to be shooting something with very fine detail in the corners, and making very large prints, for it to become noticeable to anyone viewing for artistic impact vs lens testing.

I mostly prefer the ASPH because of it's better close focussing performance.

I shoot a lot of shots like this: 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 11

The Asph is noticeably better wide open. This was what decided me to change. Both are 'good' lenses, the Asph is simply better technically. If technicalities aren't everything to you then you'll have to try both to decide which fits your requirements best. Rendering, bokeh, close focus ability, etc., are complexities which have been discussed many times on the forum but are very personal choices.

• Like 2

Have a look at post Nr 741 and 760. Summilux 50 pre ASPH wide open.

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/200573-spass-mit-der-m-240-bildersammelthread/page-38

I tested the titanium and the black version, both were good but not as sharp as the ASPH. 

They are smaller and lighter than my ASPH-crome, nice build quality and I liked the bokeh. Would have stayed with the black one, if there wasn't the occasion to buy the ASPH very low in price.

Edited by Kolossus

• 2 years later...