Nikon with R lens

peachming

hi

i changed an apo 100, 180mm f3.4, 80 summilux and summicron f2 to leitax nikon flanges.   all quite easy, all worked perfectly.   the 35-70 f4 conversion (reversible) to nikon f was done by david at leitax because of some necessary modificaiton.  the 19mm f2.8 version 2 was done by fototechnik reinhardt because of a necessary small modification to the rear shroud to clear d700 and other nikon FF mirrors.    they're now all back to leica R flanges on a sony A7r, or sold.   overall the experience was good.

greetings from hamburg

rick

Edited by rickp13
  • Like 2

hi

i changed an apo 100, 180mm f3.4, 80 summilux and summicron f2 to leitax nikon flanges. all quite easy, all worked perfectly. the 35-70 f4 conversion (reversible) to nikon f was done by david at leitax because of some necessary modificaiton. the 19mm f2.8 version 2 was done by fototechnik reinhardt because of a necessary small modification to the rear shroud to clear d700 and other nikon FF mirrors. they're now all back to leica R flanges on a sony A7r, or sold. overall the experience was good.

greetings from hamburg

rick

Thanks Rick, was thinking to get an A7/r as well. Is it good on Sony ?

I've adapted a dozen Leica R and Nikon AI lenses using Leitax and Novaflex mounts. My DSLRs are Canon, but the principle is the same. I use most of the lenses near wide open for cinema so stopping down is not a problem. I have no problem with manual focus either, just takes more time.

• Like 1

Thanks Rick, was thinking to get an A7/r as well. Is it good on Sony ?

IMHO (in my humble opinion), all the R lenses i mentioned work quite well on the A7R.  on my flickr link, the documenta album was done 100% with the 35-70 f4 on D700, and the zoo photos on the A7R with leica 180 f3.4 APO.

on the A7R, i have focus peaking ''on"" but rely 99% on the viewfinder magnification for focus checking.    are you looking at the A7R or the mk. II version of that camera?

I leitaxed my 50/2, 90/2.8, 180/3.4APO and 2X APO Teleconverter to the Nikon F mount. I haven't used them in a while since I started using my other R lenses on my A7r. I should start using it on my leitaxed R lenses on my Nikon since my A7r is not powering up. Focusing is fine for me on my Nikon D300, D3S and D800E.

I Leitaxed a 35 Elmarit v2, a 60 Macro Elmarit, & a 90 Elmarit v2. No problems other than less than perfectly tight mount to the nikon D 700 body.

When I got an A7 - I reversed the mounts back to the originals. Way easier to focus with the A7 and li e rickp13 (above) rely most on the viewfinder manfication for critical focus.

By the way the 60 Macro was the most difficult especially when returning the Leica mount

• Like 1

I converted my 100mm APO with the leitax adapter with the diaphragm tab and it works quite well.  The tab makes it easy to slide the lens wide open to focus and then quick stop the lens down to shooting aperture.  I use it on my D700 mostly, and the limitation to manual exposure isn't a problem with the macro work I do with the lens.  I use live view for critical focus, but haven't had much trouble focusing it through the viewfinder either.

Jeremy

I've converted various R lenses to Nikon F mount with the Leitax-Nikon bayonet mounts  and  I have just been trying  the 60 R Macro Elmarit on a Nikon Df fitted with a  K3 focusing screen  from Taiwan which did not require any added shims and  helps a lot ! 

Now I can get sharp shots :

20496064146_833a6e3593_h.jpg

Macaco Prego no Jardim Botânico by JM__, on Flickr

20335118329_cb8971ebee_h.jpg

no Jardim Botânico, Rio de Janeiro by JM__, on Flickr

Cheers

JM.

Edited by jmanivelle

I've converted various R lenses to Nikon F mount with the Leitax-Nikon bayonet mounts and I have just been trying the 60 R Macro Elmarit on a Nikon Df fitted with a K3 focusing screen from Taiwan which did not require any added shims and helps a lot !

Now I can get sharp shots :

20496064146_833a6e3593_h.jpg

Macaco Prego no Jardim Botânico by JM__, on Flickr

20335118329_cb8971ebee_h.jpg

no Jardim Botânico, Rio de Janeiro by JM__, on Flickr

Cheers

JM.

nice!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Recently managed to fit a 28 Elmarit v2 on a Nikon Df. To clear the mirror, we had to trim the rear lens module holding "nut" quite a lot as the Df mirror + frame is larger than D800's.

Cheers JM

I had a bunch of R lenses set up for both Canon and Nikon. Work was done by Marty Forcher ar Profession Camera Repair along time ago.

The shop is closed and Marty has passed away.

All the lenses worked and took a beating from sports to news to industrial photography.

Have it done you can't go wrong.

• 1 month later...

If you do not mind manual diaphragm,  100 2.8 APO is a killer lens on D800 e Nikon.    

Keep in mind, diaphragm strictly manual open/close.   If you have a 10 screw mount,  you must buy the Leitax.  The Chinese are 6 screw.  The extra 4 are 3" long and hold the front lens unit to the back and you will never drill and counter sync or trepan the holes without a NC set up.  This is not a basement drill press job.

And if you fall down and break the long screws off and lens separates,  DAG will fix it for $150.  

60 2.8 are slightly difficult.  21 4.0 is easy.   28 and 35 PC are super easy.  I chose to replace rather than reverse the null cam with plastic spacer so I did not lose shift in one direction.  .030 plastic is ok.  .032 would have been perfect.  My infinity is off .002" and is easy to compensate with SLR

Finally to need to get screen exactly correct with shims or the adjustment screw on pro models otherwise the green dot shows focus when it is off.

Do not adjust mirror stops.   

• 3 weeks later...
satijntje, on 11 Aug 2015 - 10:13, said:

Tried several R lenses on my Nikon Df, but I found focussing rather difficult.

This was confirmed by 2 friends that had the same problems.

John

Is your problem specific to R lenses, or manual focus lenses in general? I read a few days ago where someone else reported problems manually focusing with a Df, and was quite pleased with the Nikon DK-17M 1.2X eyepiece.

My manual lens' maximum apertures range from f/1.5 to f/8.0, including several R lenses, and in decent light focusing with the Df is easy. When on a tripod I often use a DR-5 angle finder, and find the 2X setting useful in low light or with low contrast subjects.

Winslowe, on 07 Dec 2015 - 13:45, said:

Is your problem specific to R lenses, or manual focus lenses in general? I read a few days ago where someone else reported problems manually focusing with a Df, and was quite pleased with the Nikon DK-17M 1.2X eyepiece.

My manual lens' maximum apertures range from f/1.5 to f/8.0, including several R lenses, and in decent light focusing with the Df is easy. When on a tripod I often use a DR-5 angle finder, and find the 2X setting useful in low light or with low contrast subjects.

Since I wrote the above I've had the opportunity to check my ability to focus with 4 different Nikons and 2 Canons, besides my Df, and I can tell little or no difference between them. I think the Leicaflex SL2 has as good a viewfinder as any ever made, but certainly would not blame the Df for any manual focus problems.

• 2 months later...