35f2 - need a clean?

ShivaYash

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I love this lens but does it need a clean?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Many lenses 'glow' wide open, but focusing it or using a faster shutter speed would go some way to eliminating the soft edge effect. It may also benefit from a bit of sharpening but it's hard to tell as it is.

Steve

Is this a pre-aspherical summicron? And with APO did you mean to say aspherical? If so, and you have the old summicron then it will not be very sharp wide open.

I'm not sure about this. The IV is a very special lens. But I sense you are into kit and f.95 apo stuff.

It's sharp FYI ;-)

[emoji380]

It's sharp FYI ;-)

[emoji380]

It is a sharp lens, but there is a difference between sharpness and micro contrast. Sharp is sharp, but micro contrast aids the perception of sharpness, which is why people often mistake contrasty lenses such as Zeiss ZM as being sharper than a Leica lens of  a similar type. The wider aperture you go the micro contrast tends to go down, so you compensate with a bit more contrast in post processing if you want to even things up (sometimes people just like to see the character of the lens in it's raw state). You can aid the micro contrast by sympathetic sharpening of the image.

To be honest I can't see the 'glow' you are concerned about, it isn't anything like the glow from a 35mm pre ASPH Summilux for instance, or even a CV single coated 35mm Nokton. What I think I can see is that the image isn't in focus, so there will be an artificial halo around high contrast parts of the image, and I think there is some camera movement, so on the edges, like the edge of the girls face, there is some 'drag' of highlight detail. The bottom line is that any lens won't be as sharp at f/2 as at f/4, and the Mk IV 35mm Summicron carries the weight of an off the cuff comment from years ago by Mike Johnston who labelled it the 'King of Bokeh'. Mike has since stressed he meant to say 'King of Bokeh at f/4', not wide open at all. So I don't think you need to have your lens cleaned, and to my mind pictures with a bit of 'glow' certainly aid a portrait in any case, but that's just me.

Steve

Edited by 250swb

I'm not sure about this. The IV is a very special lens. But I sense you are into kit and f.95 apo stuff. 

I am into "horses for courses." I own a 35cron V4 and absolutely love it on my MM. They didn't nickname it bokeh king for nothing. But it is not "sharp" wide open and I avoid shooting it under 2.8-4 split with my digital cameras. I didn't say I don't like it. I love the Noctilux f1 wide open and it is certainly not sharp. I am not criticizing the lens, I am just informing the OP not to expect optical perfection wide open.

I am into "horses for courses." I own a 35cron V4 and absolutely love it on my MM. They didn't nickname it bokeh king for nothing. But it is not "sharp" wide open and I avoid shooting it under 2.8-4 split with my digital cameras. I didn't say I don't like it. I love the Noctilux f1 wide open and it is certainly not sharp. I am not criticizing the lens, I am just informing the OP not to expect optical perfection wide open.

Yeah ok, I understand. I've been using this lens for 12 years and thought it might be time for a cla. Sharpness as we all agree is not always useful. Optical perfection is highly subjective. I do laugh out loud when people say the V4 is NOT sharp wide open.

Good debate.

CLA can't hurt, but I always adhere to the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" rule. I would take a photo and leave the subject in the center to see how the lens performs. The little girl's dress seems perfectly sharp in the photo. Her face is far enough from the center that it might be in the zone where the aspherical correction of the new lens makes the difference. Keep in mind that off-center performance is mostly what the aspherical element corrects for, and you may not realize the sharpness-falloff of the 35 IV until you get into the situation of this photo where you had to reframe off-center at a fairly close focus-distance.

And btw. I own both the 35 IV and 35 cron aspherical. I'm keeping the 35 IV and selling the aspherical, but that's mostly because I also have a 35 1.4 aspherical that covers what I want from the aspherical lenses.

Edited by BerndReini
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

CLA can't hurt, but I always adhere to the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" rule. I would take a photo and leave the subject in the center to see how the lens performs. The little girl's dress seems perfectly sharp in the photo. Her face is far enough from the center that it might be in the zone where the aspherical correction of the new lens makes the difference. Keep in mind that off-center performance is mostly what the aspherical element corrects for, and you may not realize the sharpness-falloff of the 35 IV until you get into the situation of this photo where you had to reframe off-center at a fairly close focus-distance.

And btw. I own both the 35 IV and 35 cron aspherical. I'm keeping the 35 IV and selling the aspherical, but that's mostly because I also have a 35 1.4 aspherical that covers what I want from the aspherical lenses.

Having got myself the 'cron 28 now and I thinking I may also try and find a well priced 35 'lux. I presume this will be pin sharp wide open... what about fall off etc? 

If you've experienced deterioration in results, that's one thing.  Otherwise, I would spend more time looking for special light, and taking advantage of various PP options, rather than searching for some magical glow from a new lens.  All of the lenses mentioned here can be superb in the right circumstances, with the right treatment....up to and including a print, which is where things count IMO.  YMMV.

Jeff

• Like 1

If you've experienced deterioration in results, that's one thing. Otherwise, I would spend more time looking for special light, and taking advantage of various PP options, rather than searching for some magical glow from a new lens. All of the lenses mentioned here can be superb in the right circumstances, with the right treatment....up to and including a print, which is where things count IMO. YMMV.

Jeff

Thanks, after 12 years of my own use and in its life as a press lens, travelling to the gulf war, perhaps I should send it in for a CLA. I'll never part with this lens but thinking of a 'lux for the extra stop and asph sharpness. I'm really into sharp images at the moment. And I want to give my M8 a new lease of life. An extra stop will help.

Looks more like its front focusing, lenses have to be quite dirty to effect sharpness,were you focusing on the face? If you were then your rangefinder needs sorted your summicron should be much sharper than that.

Read above. The focus was off and is on her pony tail. Thanks.

Never got any significant glow out of the 35/2 v4 so far. Seems like you're bothered by highlights behind the little girl. A bit of PP might help perhaps but i see nothing in this pic which would justify a CLA.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Never got any significant glow out of the 35/2 v4 so far. Seems like you're bothered by highlights behind the little girl. A bit of PP might help perhaps but i see nothing in this pic which would justify a CLA.

attachicon.gif1_mod_03_web.jpg

Thanks for this. I don't want to spend money needlessly. Would be interested to see some comparisons with this lens and the asph version. Any London based users on here?