How many of you wait for the "P"?

tthorne

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I know the "P" models come with some extra cool stuff, like the return of the frameline selector, the bigger buffer, and the sapphire glass, but I have to admit that my favorite thing about them is the look. I shot on a pair of M240's when they first became available and I loved every minute. Then came the M-P and I really didn't need it, but I WANTED it. So I swapped out my M's for M-P's. Happy camper. 

Ever since then, I have thought that it would make sense, since I enjoy the "P" so much, to simply wait for it with every model. I wonder if I have that type of fortitude to resist Leica's latest and greatest, especially with the rumor mill on the next one. Anyhow, I think I may actually be able to pull it off simply because I am so happy with my M-P's (as I also was with my M's prior). 

I'm just wondering if anyone else out there does this, has thought of this, or is thinking of doing this, and how it went/is going for you. 

The whole point of the 'P' model is to snare people twice. Some early adopters don't care, but I think Leica have identified a significant market in people who can be sold pointless upgrades, I mean does an M240-P take better pictures than an M240?

There can't be many companies who hold back the 'Professional' model to milk sales of what is (or becomes) the amateur model, you'd think if it wasn't a purely cynical move they'd realise the 'Professional' model would be what most people would buy if offered the choice from the outset. But it's part of Leica's sales strategy to encourage people to buy the same camera twice, and that should be born in mind when looking at sales figures because a proportion are born of the atavistic desire to buy what should have been available in the first place. So they aren't real sales in the sense of selling a camera to somebody who hasn't had one before, they don't reflect a growing market. So Leica are playing with 'the ghost in the machine' by creating a dual conflict between common sense and the material completeness of making the badge of being 'Professional' fit the product (as it should have all along some would say).

Steve

It's a great way to increase revenues from an existing product before the new generation hits the market. It's a classic upgrade strategy, which even automobile manufacturers like Mercedes have used with their special editions. Essentially the same old model but with an enhanced trim and options package.

It does not mean that you need to replace your current version with this, but it spurs potential new buyers to buy earlier and not wait for the next generation. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Leica is in the business of selling cameras and lenses (and some other stuff) and making a profit doing so, if they have a strategy that helps them increase revenue then what is wrong with that and how does it harm you. It's up to us as consumers if we want to by the first one or wait for the P version or upgrade, I can't see the point in complaining about this strategy.

Besides, if one chooses to upgrade to a P then it is most likely that the first one gets sold on the used market perhaps to a new M user who will by a lens and Leica will make even more money.

• Like 5

Leica is in the business of selling cameras and lenses (and some other stuff) and making a profit doing so, if they have a strategy that helps them increase revenue then what is wrong with that and how does it harm you. It's up to us as consumers if we want to by the first one or wait for the P version or upgrade, I can't see the point in complaining about this strategy.

Besides, if one chooses to upgrade to a P then it is most likely that the first one gets sold on the used market perhaps to a new M user who will by a lens and Leica will make even more money.

A lovely simplistic view..

I have one of each. So if the upgrade is a good one I will most likely trade my M for a M. two tears later I might rade my M-P for a M-P.

However I like almost everything about my M-P. It looks fabulous and is a joy to use. I have the grips, including the SCA adaptor so the new model will need to be pretty amazing.

Gordon

Well, my tears usually apply to my bank account...:D

I have one of each. So if the upgrade is a good one I will most likely trade my M for a M. two tears later I might rade my M-P for a M-P.

However I like almost everything about my M-P. It looks fabulous and is a joy to use. I have the grips, including the SCA adaptor so the new model will need to be pretty amazing.

Gordon

Well my tears usually apply to my bank account...:D

• Like 1

Basic shortcomings here or there, this being a facelift that should not come as a surprise as it is not a new model.

On the other hand - the more silent shutter and different framelines on the M8.2, the increased buffer on the M 240 P....

If you consider the M8.2 a "P" (and based on it's specifications it was the first), then I've had them all. I think my obsession with the black M's began with the M6TTL .85 LHSA. And the upgrade for the M-P with it's improvements was worth it to me. Any fence-sitting I was doing on the M240, which I was already convinced was a much better camera than my M9-P, vanished with the announcement of the M-P. But as far as waiting for it, not really, it just worked out that way.

Well, my tears usually apply to my bank account... :D

Well my tears usually apply to my bank account... :D

Couple of root canals and some crowns and voila .... You're whole again. For me it was a hurricane or other disaster. Never ending supply of money to send to Leica. :)

I usually upgraded early from M8 to M9 and from M9 to M type 240.

However I never upgraded to the P version. Why? When I have a well working and well focusing body, I have too much fear that a new body might need calibration, so I stay with the non-P version.

However when a new model  (M8-m9-M) appears, with improvements which are usefull to me, I usually upgrade.