Well, there goes another place to have film processed ...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I made my quarterly trip to the Lakewood, CA CostCo to have my 35mm C-41 film developed.  The clerk told me upon pick up that they were "upgrading" to new machinery the first week of October and would no longer be processing film, so be sure to get whatever I needed to have developed by them in before that date.  CostCo was the last place I knew of where you could get a 24 exposure role developed and printed for under $6.  Come October, the lowest price I have found will be double that.

Anyone else find a low-cost development place in the U.S.?

Eric

P.S.  The shots from the M-A looked fine!

Edited by enboe
  • Like 1

Check the web site for Citizens Photo in Portland,Oregon.  Thier work is good and reasonably priced. Shipping will add to the expense but good places are getting harder to find.  Fortunately here in Portland we still have access to a few good places.

Thanks for the reply.  I did a little hunting online this morning and found for a 24 exposure, 1 set of 4x6 prints:

1)  CostCo was $5.55 + 9% tax = $6.05.

2)  Citizens is $12.60 + est. $2.00 1-way shipping to the lab.

3)  Walgreens is $11.99 + 9% tax = $13.07, one-hour service.

4)  Dwayne's is $5.50 + $0.50 shipping + $4.50 fee to ship the first roll + est. $2.00 1-way shipping to the lab.  So it would be $12.00 for one roll, but say you shot a vacation of 20 rolls, it would drop to $6.30 per roll, much closer to the CostCo price.

Anyone else, please feel free to add to the list.

Eric

Personally i would stay away from drugstore developers, they are sending them out someplace else anyway. being that you are in LA i have to believe that, like NYC, there are plenty of good labs who can develop & scan at reasonable prices. I would contact Samy's or Freestyle for some ideas. there are a few LA members who perhaps will chime in. The place in NYC i use, Color House, takes in film mailed to them and there are a host of other places as well. Like I wrote,  I have to believe LA has plenty places to bring your film.

• Like 1

In the UK 'drug store developers' do send the film out for processing, but to professional labs, not in a tired machine at the back of the shop. So the customer gets the best of both worlds, cheaper prices because of a discount for volume, and pro lab quality with plenty of film (and fresh chemicals) going through the machine. It isn't the bespoke service going direct to the lab can offer either in the UK or US, but with so few labs left those that are still in business are now doing good business and the mail order turn around is very efficient. So I wouldn't worry about physically handing the film over, send it to a recommended lab.

Steve

Edited by 250swb
  • Like 1

surprising considering it is a university town as well ...... well back in the day i always bought kodak slide film with processing prepaid and mailed it to fairlawn nj  got it back within days. i suppose you can mail it to whomever in this day and age. btw, in the 70s the quality of kodak vs berkey processing was enough to keep me going to kodak even with print film, of which i took very little.