X Typ 113 - Auto aperture switching - Will it be "fixed"?

McGirton

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have bought the X and I love the camera so far. The images are outstanding and its handling is very close to my analog M cameras.

BUT...

The fast aperture of 1.7 was a definite point that made me buy the camera, but after using it for a while I saw that even if it's set to 1.7 I will be forced to shoot way above f2 most of the time. So when I sit in dark bar, want to take a photo of my friends and make use of the wide aperture the lens is supposed to provide... NO! I get forced to use a slower aperture.

So my question is, do you guys think Leica will "fix" that in a future software update and let us use the lens like we want to? 

If it stays the same the only thing keeping me from buying a X2 is that I don't like the smaller and even lighter body (I appreciate a heavy camera like a M) or even go for a X Vario because hell, it's not a huge difference in lens speed anymore!

Of course it's not broken per se...  I think you didn't understand what I meant. I want to use the lens with its full low light potential and not being gimped on purpose to different aperture. "Backing up & cropping" isn't really a satisfying solution for that. 

I'm just saying if a photographer switches to manual 1.7 he should not be forced to use a different aperture. On Auto mode that is a different story.

Of course it's not broken per se...  I think you didn't understand what I meant. I want to use the lens with its full low light potential and not being gimped on purpose to different aperture. "Backing up & cropping" isn't really a satisfying solution for that. 

I'm just saying if a photographer switches to manual 1.7 he should not be forced to use a different aperture. On Auto mode that is a different story.

They won't "fix" it because it isn't "broken".   It works exactly as they (Leica) want it to.  Incidentally the new Q does exactly the same thing , as does the 23mm prime for the T.

my guess is close focus at f/1.7 was such atrocious quality that Leica didn't want images out in the wild that would tarnish their reputation for optical excellence.

given the size of the lens, I think this is a good compromise.