Bison

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This image taken at the National Bison Range in Montana is a good example of the environment these large animals like.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4

A lovely image Bill! It is fascinating to see that the country is so similar to ours here on the Monaro. Strangely enough we even have some Bison. 

People have imported a few to use as stock for training young horses in the sport of Camp Drafting (the Australian version of Cutting...but not really similar).

Apparently for that job Bison are superior to cattle due to their easy going temperament, their size and the fact that, when pursued, they tend

to run in a straight line rather than ducking and weaving as cattle do, and so are safer for schooling a young horse. I wish I had a photo to post!  :)

Edited by platypus

Bil,

A fine shot of a magnificent animal.  I have seen herds in Yellowstone Park and I would not be interested in getting close to them.  A herd of Buffalo escaped from a farm quite close to us in Indiana but were successfully rounded up safely a few days ago.

Paul

Dee, that's interesting your cowboys use bison to train horses. They do run straight so I can see the logic to it.

Interesting the Monaro and the high plains of the west look similar.

....but not similar enough so that bison look as though they actually belong in this country, three of them used to live just over the hill

from our place and caused a sensation whenever they appeared close enough to the town road for passing cars to spot them, cars were

constantly screeching to a halt and families jumping out with cameras etc., they couldn't believe what they were seeing.

Bison seem to be funny old beasts, quite gentle but very stubborn. This trio were prone to just walking through any wire fence and turning up on next door farms whenever it suited them.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Bill,

thanks for posting and the interesting information from Dee. It looks like a rock. The picture has a nice frame and is showing the beast in its environment but it seems to have a slight blue cast on the landscape ( the grass) and the "Bison Rock". For my taste it should perhaps be a tad warmer. I f you like, you can try a few mouseclicks.

• Like 1

Dee, the bison in the western U.S. are gentle unless you get close. We have fools getting injured every year by not respecting their comfort zone.

Iduna, the blue cast in the image is due to smoke from wildfires. Vast areas of the west are experiencing huge fires this year.

• Like 1

Bill,

thank you for your information. This is what concerns me most when I hear about controlled fires. I am afraid we lost the knowledge of our ancestors. Recently wevisited California and looking at the vegetation we knew immediately why there are these devastating fires. The problem is that mankind has too many houses there and too many people are in danger these days. Old techniques won't work as they did in past centuries.

I do very much hope that you will be safe!

Bill,

thank you for your information. This is what concerns me most when I hear about controlled fires. I am afraid we lost the knowledge of our ancestors. Recently wevisited California and looking at the vegetation we knew immediately why there are these devastating fires. The problem is that mankind has too many houses there and too many people are in danger these days. Old techniques won't work as they did in past centuries.

I do very much hope that you will be safe!

Iduna,

Your observations are correct. In addition, we don't allow natural fires anymore.