Leica S Adaptor-C (16038)

Winedemonium

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It is an extraordinarily expensive adaptor at nearly $2000 list.

But it opens up another set of AF lenses, including an interesting 350mm f/4 Tele-Apotessar from the Contax 645 system.

Can anyone share experience of using Contax 645 AF lenses via this adaptor on the S, and for this lens in particular?

Thanks.

For some reason, mine perform not very stable.

Everytime I put it on the camera body, it takes awhile to start, and it also might not even register the lens. I will have to take it off and re-attach.

But it's good adaptor nonetheless as I can use it in combination with Alpa FPS and preset the Aperture and twist off to lock them in place and use it to do shift perspective control.

• Like 1

I used the 350 Apo-Tessar for a while, on the Contax body, with a digital back. The lens is very, very heavy - try it first before you make any decisions. I was thinking for a while that I might get another one, to use with an adapter on my Leica S, on a safari. In the end decided to go with an APS-C Pentax DSLR and a 300mm lens, for a much more hand-holdable and practical solution.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The adaptor is great, once you have made sure you got an updated, current adaptor (there were samples with outdated firmware around which were problematic - the adaptor firmware is NOT user upgradable).

I have this adaptor since it's announcement and use it with a range of C645 lenses.

In my opinion the longer telephoto Contax lenses are not very appealing (price, size, weight, versatility).

A great choice for anything longer than the 180 Leica S lens in my opinion is the 300/2.8 APO Mamiya lens paired with the 2x TC.

This lens is indeed stellar and for it's speed and focal length very compact and light weight.

It has all the latest functions, as full manual telephotos go (drop in filters, stop down button, integrated pull out hood + extension, set-able focus limiter tripod foot, light to the touch focussing).

I find the Contax 210 (if you find a good sample) combined with the 1.4x Mutar quite interesting too but it comes short of the performance of the Mamiya 300/2.8 APO.

The best Contax lenses to get which make sense to use on a S are:

120/4 APO-Makro Planar

45-90 f4.5 Zoom (HEAVY and LARGE)

80/2 (interesting for it's fast aperture and decent stopped down yet nowhere near the performance of the 70/2.5 S)

All other Contax lenses are either hopelessly outdated by their more modern counterparts from Leica or simply do not perform well enough.

Some of these nevertheless can be quite useful as of their focal length or versatility (there is extension tubes and the 1.4x Mutar to be combined with lenses as the 140/2.8 which makes for some versatility).

For long reach I would not go the Contax route but would either get the Mamiya M645 adaptor and find a good 300/2.8 or go for the Pentax adapter and use one of their high quality long tele lenses for their older 6x7 system.

This means of course all manual operation including stop down metering.

I am happy how the Mamiya particularly works so well on the S.

Adding the manual focus split screen is a must to use these lenses efficiently (I wish Leica would offer a full matte, non split screen as an option as well).

• Like 2

My favorite ( after the Makro) Contax 645 lens on the S2 is the Zeiss Distagon 55/3.5. It's light and sharp wide open. It became my walk-about lens on my S2. I like to use the Distagon more than the Leica 70mm as a standard lens.

http://www.zeiss.com/content/dam/Photography/new/pdf/en/downloadcenter/contax_645/distagon3-5_55mm_e.pdf

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

If anyone is interested in selling their S-Adapter + Contax let me know. I'm looking for a used one to purchase and possibly lenses too. I have a wanted add in the buy/sell section so I'm not trying to bypass that, just trying to reach more people.

Thanks!

Edited by johnloumiles