35mm f2 (IV) - hood

ShivaYash

[...] Not sure if there are made in Germany hoods for that lens. [...]

There are two versions of them AFAIK, one with nubs ("Leica Camera GMBH Germany") and the other w/o nub ("Leica GMBH Germany").

Edited by lct

@OP: If you bought the lens used, the previous owner may have bought it sans hood, or lost or broke the original hood, and purchased the Canadian one used at a later point.  Or perhaps in the early years of transition to Solms production Leica was still using up Canada-made hoods.  I purchased a spare used hood for mine when I found one for $20. 

@lct: v.4 came with 12524 hood which has rounded nubs.  The one with the posterior border of the nubs flattened to retain the rubber cover is 12526, introduced along with the ASPH.  Both hoods will fit and work on either lens. 

There are two versions of the German 12524 actually. One w/o nubs and the other with the rounded nubs you refer to.

I've seen hundreds of the 12524 hoods, Canadian and German, and not yet a single solitary nubless one.  Nor have I even seen a picture of one.  I would really love to see a picture if you have a nubless 12524 you could photograph, or link to a picture of one.  It might be a little-known rarity not yet discovered by collectors.   

I seem to recall having used a hood like that in the past but it was decades ago so i may be wrong.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

speaking of this hood- on my Canadian example a previous owner has cut out one of the inner triangular corners- to greatly reduce blockage in the finder. It's a really good mod. Don't know why Leica didn't make the hood cut-out themselves.

Aside from vented hoods, such cut-outs were not in use in 1979 if memory serves. Even the hoods for 21/3.4 and 28/2.8 wides had no cut-out then IIRC. Could have been expected on the 12526 hood for 35/2 asph perhaps given its slightly taller size compared to the 35/2 v4. None blockages ever bothered me though i must say. Matter of tastes anyway. 

Edited by lct

Hi Guys,

I bought my 35mm Summicron (iv) (3637955) new, and it came with a hood (Leica Camera Gmbh Germany) 12524  M2/35, which has the nubs, and a rubber cap, 14043.

Susie

Edited by Susie

I see nubs if you mean the little silver buttons on the sides.

Those are the spring-loaded pushbuttons for retracting the little claws that hold the hood to the groove around the lens.  The nubs we're talking about are moulded into the plastic on each side of the shroud part.  They're about 2mm thick and 10-12mm long.  The rubber cap has a rim around it like the lid on a coffee can, that snaps over the nubs.