NEW M.. This year.. This Fall...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The website-article is gone. But I got there in time.

Text of the article in Google-"translation":

Leica SL: the new concept Full Frame

With the SL series Leica is a new choice; using the latest technologies in dress mirrorless offers a technologically advanced machine and the dimensions similar to those of the M rangefinder.
The next issue of All Photographers publish the exclusive test of the prototype.

The basic technical data are as follows.
The 24-megapixel sensor, with no anti-aliasing filter, is a full-frame CMOS. The electronic viewfinder LCD has a resolution of 4 million points and is at the top of the EVF for definition and sharpness, as well as for the 60 fps refresh.
The rear screen is not adjustable, but is Touch; It is surrounded by buttons anonymous-style S for tidy interface. Body and lenses are tropicalized.
The SL will handle auto focus with contrast detection on a grid of 49 points in the viewfinder optimally arranged to cover not only the core area, but also off-center subjects.

Together with Leica camera body presented three optical, stabilized and equipped with bayonet T, hence the compatibility with the objectives for the smaller size, and its crop frame.
Also adapters can be mounted almost all Leica optical system.
Zoom 24-90mm f / 2.8-4
Zoom 90-280mm f / 2.8-4
fixed focus 50mm f / 1.4.

The price of the Leica SL is € 6900

The pictures were accompanied by the following text:

The prototype we tested exclusively . You can see how brand and model numbers are covered to avoid making the machine recognizable . The test will be published on November TF.

What is that little hump on the right of the viewfinder? The GPS-module likely outside the metal shell.
Looks minimal, to say the least. An A7 without the bells and whistles. No coincidence I think.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by AndrewAM
  • Like 1

No doubt superlative performance and the user interface will be more direct than the Sony it resembles but look at the size of the lenses :o (the body might have "dimensions similar to those of the M rangefinder" but the lenses are anything but M-like).

Not my bag at all (not that I thought it would be) but hopefully a success for Leica.

Edited by wattsy
  • Like 1

Hmmm...

I was hoping it would look more like a small S rather than the ugly and angular Sony.

Perhaps it's just as well. My son needs a proper camera for his school trip to Cambodia and Laos next year... we were thinking of a Leica Q, but a small S type with a small zoom may well have tempted us away...

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

There's nothing wrong with the shape or concept of the Sony A's. I get great results. I just don't enjoy using them. If Leica makes an A7 clone that is a pleasure to use (and I'm fine with placebo), and a better lens than the mediocre Sony 24-70/4, then heck yeah!

Reviews should be up soon - more interesting than the announcement.

--Matt

Edited by mgrayson3

No doubt superlative performance and the user interface will be more direct than the Sony it resembles but look at the size of the lenses :o (the body might have "dimensions similar to those of the M rangefinder" but the lenses are anything but M-like).

Well it's hard to see how the 24-90 SL zoom could possibly be smaller than the 2.8/28-90 R zoom.

If these images are correct I'm dissappointed but not surprised that the 50mm lens is that size.

It look absolutely nothing like the A7 series ...

I like the zoom lenses starting at f2.8 and hopefully those are Leica quality ...

Also quite distinct from the M, in the sense that if you want small FF lenses, the M will be the only game in town, ever ...

Edited by colonel
  • Like 2

With autofocusing zoom lenses, comes a bulky size.

Another problem:

The price of the Leica SL is € 6900

I hope that's including the zoom lens  :wacko: For if that's body only, it's twice the price of the top of the line A7Rii, does not seem very competitive. Come on Leica you're not going to reach 1% market share by pricing yourself out of the market.

Edited by Mornnb

Wouldn't be too surprised to see the electronics of the next incarnation of M updated with some of the bells and whistles from the SL. The M240-platform already have an excellent optical viewfinder (so this can more or less be left as-is), whereas the electronic viewfinder, buffer size and speed, start-up time, etc. can be improved. In addition I guess the next M will get an inevitable increase in sensor resolution and likely improved DR. But size-wise and likely weight-wise (body+lens), the M-system is on the small/light side of the SL-system. The M and SL systems do, in this respect, complement each other, which is good. 

Looking forward to the SL-reviews!

• Like 1

Hmmm...

I was hoping it would look more like a small S rather than the ugly and angular Sony.

Perhaps it's just as well. My son needs a proper camera for his school trip to Cambodia and Laos next year... we were thinking of a Leica Q, but a small S type with a small zoom may well have tempted us away...

I agree. I was hoping for an S shape as well. I don't like this esthetically. Looks more like a T, rather than Q, M or S. Disappointed.

Who cares what it looks like for goodness sake!  I care about what the pictures look like, not the camera that took the pictures.  You know Bach's brain didn't look that pretty either, but it didn't stop him cranking out the masterpieces.

I do want to know how well it plays with M lenses, though.

• Like 3

Who cares what it looks like for goodness sake!  I care about what the pictures look like, not the camera that took the pictures.  You know Bach's brain didn't look that pretty either, but it didn't stop him cranking out the masterpieces.

I do want to know how well it plays with M lenses, though.

Exactly!

I've always bought camera systems for the lenses first. I actually think have a 24-90mm f2.8-4 range is pretty tasty, given the MTA figures

A nice compliment to an M for primes and a repose to Sony which doesn't have a mid-range zoom of interest at the moment

The long zoom looks very nice as well

My comment on the price is that it make the M240 at the current prices, new or second hand, stay firmly in the game, and differentiates nicely between the two systems which don't overlap much. I think the SL looks clearly better for events or where heavier lifting is ok, whereas the M stays firm favourite for lightweight street and travel

The funny thing is I have zero interest on how this plays with M lenses. I much prefer an M for that

Edited by colonel
  • Like 1

I like the look of it, the finish looks great. It does share design cues from the S. The strap lugs look nice. The top plate lcd and controls looks good. I hope it has a battery grip for the longer lenses.

The feature on the side is probably the af assist, but given it looks like a lens, and is somewhat reminiscent of the patent drawings of the opt-electric finder, I would be lying if I didn't say it leaves me a little curious.

Edited by Paul J