The ideal two lens kit... 35mm f2 + ...

ShivaYash

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello, I think this thread's very interesting and hard to find the right answer, according to our different need on lens or camera, I've ever got this problem in choosing another lens when 35 Cron or 35 FLE is on my M9 or M240 for many times, because 35mm is adequate for any situation including people portrait, so I'll choose my ultra wide angle lens such as 15/4.5 CV v.3 or 21 SEM more than my 50 Lux, 75 Lux, 75 Cron or 90 Elmarit-M in reason of its weight and usefulness for traveling.

Thanks.

+1 for 35 and 50. I know they are close, but both incredibly versatile and you will be changing lenses less than when they are further apart. They are both general purpose lenses with the 35 having the edge for groups and landscapes, and the 50 for portraits and abstracts.

• Like 2

Rramesh no 35?

ShivaYash, I missed your question.

Never saw a real need for a 35. Between a 28 Cron and 50 Lux, I am quite happy. If I need to get wider, its a 21 SEM or a CV 15. If I need longer its a 90 Elmarit-M.

I did have a 35 Cron, sold it, now have a CV 35 1.2 but not used as much. Likely to be sold as well.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

There is no ideal 2 lens kit - only the most flexible for one's photography in general, or for a specific photographic purpose.

For me its 28 & 50 (unless the specific situation would dictate otherwise).   For a close friend who is also a Leica user its 35 & 90. Having said I have a wide range of lenses of different focal lengths so I often take different combinations of two lenses to challenge myself to see things differently. 

Edited by MarkP
  • Like 1

M9 = 35 + 90 (with the 35 as the main lens - travel)

MM = 50 + 21 (with the 50 as the main lens - walk about)

S2 = 70 +120 (with the 70 as the main lens - work)

Different cameras yield different ways of seeing and invite different choices. The M9 is the perfect travel companion and the 35/90 combo works like a charm. The MM creates a different way of seeing and the 50/21 combo seems to work better. The S2 is a work tool and the 70/120 combo covers most needs.

However, I sometimes just slip the M9 with a 35 mounted and the MM with a 50 mounted into a small bag as a walk about kit.

not exactly sure why MM is different from M9; when I put B&W film in my M-A it doesn't change the lens set I like to use.  

If 35mm was my only lens and needed to add 1 I would had something longer -- 75 is more practical than a 90mm (have both). 75 is just a bit tighter than 50 to make enough of a difference. 90mm is a great lens for portraits but unless you are shooting slow moving people, it doesn't work well in the street. IF your view is wide before long, go with the 21 ....... but as others have written above 35 or 28/50 is ideal for travel.

• Like 1

not exactly sure why MM is different from M9; when I put B&W film in my M-A it doesn't change the lens set I like to use.  

If 35mm was my only lens and needed to add 1 I would had something longer -- 75 is more practical than a 90mm (have both). 75 is just a bit tighter than 50 to make enough of a difference. 90mm is a great lens for portraits but unless you are shooting slow moving people, it doesn't work well in the street. IF your view is wide before long, go with the 21 ....... but as others have written above 35 or 28/50 is ideal for travel.

It is a mindset. Different cameras evoke different ways of seeing. Sure, you can always convert color to B&W but the MM invites you to frame the world differently. It is a mindset. It offers an honest vision of light and form with the 50 being the most honest lens as it sees in the way the eye finds most natural. The 21 is only brought along to change that vision to one far more abstract. On the other hand, the M9 is more versatile and thus gets a lens set that will cover 99% of the situations you are likely to meet (35 & 90). This is perfect for travel. As for the S2, it is more of a studio camera and the 70 is for full length shots where the 120 is for closeups/products/portraits. It is not the kind of camera you want to drag along on a trip unless you are fanatical about IQ.

I could live happy ever after with just 35mm or just 50mm, but since I don't have to, I also own 28mm and 90mm.  Last trip I brought 35, 50 and 90.  This next trip will be 28 and 50, and since the 28 is new to me, I will make a concerted effort to use it as much as possible and get comfortable with its different perspective and those horrible frame lines.

For many decades the "standard" two lens outfit was 35mm + 90mm.  I believe the reasons were as much to do with technical limitations as with any aesthetic consideration. 

In Leica mythology the 35mm was considered to be a Wide-Angle lens.  Anything with a shorter focal length, at that time, involved significant compromises.

The 90mm was given the title of "The Teacher" by The Leica School because it forced people to concentrate on the subject, composition & framing.

35mm is now accepted as one of a pair of Standard focal lengths, the other being 50mm.  For years press photographers regarded the 35mm f/1.4 Summilux as the standard lens.

Today the lens to accompany a 35mm can be a 75/90mm or an 18/21mm.  Depends entirely on the individual and their interests.  No compromises need be accepted.

I note from some of the posts that 21mm seems to be the "Go-To" focal length for anything wider than 35mm.  My preference is for the somewhat neglected and definitely underrated 18mm.  

I recently added a 24mm to my 35mm on the M9, and for me this is pretty much ideal. However it all depends what you shoot doesn't it? I do a lot of street photography but until recently I was shooting a lot of musicians during soundchecks/rehearsals, and for that the 75mm would be ideal, or maybe the 90mm. As always it is horses for courses.

Gerry