A very old "Serra da Estrela"

Pecole

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Rouky is a pure race "Serra da Estrela" (Star's Mountain), shepherd dogs from the mountainous Northern Portugal. He is a big dog : the race's weight is 40-50 kg, and ours is 46 today. From nose to tail, he "makes" 1,70 m. But his originality resides in his age : he is 14 years old. When making his annual vaccines this week, the vet asked for a photo to ornate her office : she never saw such an old "Serra da Estrela", the race being known to normally live up to 10 years.

When raised the traditional way in their original habitat, these dogs are considered aggressive and dangerous. Our Rouky always lived with us, is extremely kind - yet his sight frightens (fortunately, he's our best insurance) most people -, and has been and remains the best friend and "puppy" of our nine grandchildren.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

What a good looking dog and a senior citizen,  The picture of him with your granddaughter seems to say he is a very mellow guy.  We had a Labrador retriever that was 16 years old before he passed away from a stroke.

Paul

This is a breed of dog that (until today) I had never heard of....very interesting!

Rouky has obviously been a joy and a pleasure to you all throughout his long life,

hopefully he has a few more years still to come.

What a good looking dog and a senior citizen,  The picture of him with your granddaughter seems to say he is a very mellow guy.  We had a Labrador retriever that was 16 years old before he passed away from a stroke.

Paul

Paul, do you spend your life in front of your screen? Comparing times of issues and comments, I am always stunned by the speed of your reactions.

But this is mainly an occasion to say again how much I praise your kind, en-lighted and useful comments and remarks.

Coming back to dogs : our former dog was also a Labrador, maybe slightly mixed with a Boxer (as we were told), Crazy (he largely deserved his name!), who - as a waterdog - had a wonderful life in the 11-hectares property with 800 meters private river shore where we lived then. He unfortunately died at 7, also from a stroke. I attach photos.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!