Ever Ready Case for M240/MP

carta

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have done a quick search but didn't yield much, either on google or on this forum...

Has anyone bought the Leica ever-ready case for the digital M?

If so, any pictures?

Ease of use?

How about when shooting in portrait (vertical) orientation?

Can the 1.25 or 1.4 magnifier be fitted?

Would love to try one out at a store but is a bit far away.

I have never owned the Leica version of the (n)ever ready case.  I have owned Luigi's 1/2 cases with the snub nose cover and liked them for travel to protect the camera in my back pack (I don't own a camera bag).  But, I never shoot with a case.  I shoot naked.   :)

My old Luigi cases don't fit my 240 and I never bought a new one that does.  Instead, I bought the Leica neoprene case for protection in my pack and it works great for this.

Rick

I have one on each of my M240's.  One case was mint-used, the second a closeout (Leica had to change the design to accomodate the re-issued frame selector lever on the M-P).  The cost me not much more than new-retail price of the half case.  I rarely use the (detachable) top part, as mine are the short versions and don't fit over every lens, plus they take up too much room in a bag.  I use them occasionally when I'm going out with just a 35 or 50.   The bottom half of the full case is the same as the half case with the exception of one major difference: it has a hanging back flap (held in place by magnets). I find that hugely useful, not so much for protecting the screen (a protector does that fine) but for hiding it and covering the buttons that I almost never use and prefer to ignore.

The ease of use is great for me, mainly because the cases don't have some bulbous "grip" bump that turns the already-bloated M240 into nearly the size of a DSLR.   And the viewfinder magnifier would fit fine, although mine are stashed away in a drawer because I find them more annoying than useful.

All, thank you for your input.

I received my Ever Ready Case today, but will likely return it for the below two reasons.

1. The back flap does not close with the 1.4x viewfinder attached. (Probably will not close with thumbs-up as well, though I do not own one)

2. The top flap closes, but presses down on the attached soft-release button. This is fine, but I am a little worried to have the shutter button pressed down all the time. Especially this means I can't leave the camera on when carrying it in the case.

The build quality is superb, but I expected a little more from Leica on a approx $400 product - removing the cushion on the top flap and cutting 2cm on the back flap should have solved these problems.

After all, the accessories I am using are genuine Leica products, so they could have given its users some consideration.

Anyway, thank you all for your insight.

1. The back flap does not close with the 1.4x viewfinder attached.

The back flap doesn't come within 7mm of the periphery of the eyepiece.  I only have the 1.25x and I tried it and the flap clears it just fine.  Is the Leica 1.4x wider in diameter?  Or is yours an aftermarket magnifier, or has an attached eye cup? 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Odd.  I have 2 of the 1.25's and I just put them together thus doubling the physical length, and my cases back flaps clear it by a large margin.  Of course if you have the chain fastened to the strap lug I can see where the flap might catch on it, but I never used the chain since day one.  Haha nor the magnifier since day two :) 

bocaburger,

Apologies, by back flap I meant the back flap portion of the top part - the place that closes down (not the LCD cover)

Sorry for the confusion.

Carlos,

Thank you - the reason I posted was because I wanted a full case, not a half case - and especially one where I can open up to shoot inmediatly, like the goold old film cases (you know, the ones that you see in photos of old school photographers like Capa)

The Luigi one looks nice, though, but not sure if it can quickly open up.

The ever-ready case can open immediately to shoot, but the soft release hinderance and the magnifier block caused some problems.

• Like 1

I have one on each of my M240's.  One case was mint-used, the second a closeout (Leica had to change the design to accomodate the re-issued frame selector lever on the M-P).  The cost me not much more than new-retail price of the half case.  I rarely use the (detachable) top part, as mine are the short versions and don't fit over every lens, plus they take up too much room in a bag.  I use them occasionally when I'm going out with just a 35 or 50.   The bottom half of the full case is the same as the half case with the exception of one major difference: it has a hanging back flap (held in place by magnets). I find that hugely useful, not so much for protecting the screen (a protector does that fine) but for hiding it and covering the buttons that I almost never use and prefer to ignore.

The ease of use is great for me, mainly because the cases don't have some bulbous "grip" bump that turns the already-bloated M240 into nearly the size of a DSLR.   And the viewfinder magnifier would fit fine, although mine are stashed away in a drawer because I find them more annoying than useful.

Hope you don't mind me leaping onto the topic...I live on the island of Mauritius and so information difficult to come by/ i want to first know if it is possible to have a case that "hides" the LCD screen at the rear ? also if there is any excellent underwater housing you are aware of ? thanks and appreciate any help Dean

I have the neoprene long nose case. It is not the world's greatest bit of design. However, it is showerproof and does protect the camera from being scratched when it is sitting in the back of a rally car and isn't in my usual Billingham. It will not really fit over the EVF but will just fit over the body + Noctilux and MF grip. 

Edited by wlaidlaw

I made my own ever-ready case using the material from couple of old Zing lens neoprene pouch (medium size) mixed with some lightweight fabric from my old pouches used in backpacking to carry small things. I can do little bit of sewing (learned from my Mom when I was a kid) and simply draped the material around the camera and stitched. This came out better than anything in the market.

It is only 2.5 oz and looks good for general use. Quite stealth too. Only when in formal gathering, I take the camera naked.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I cut a hole in the back for the eye piece and I can shoot just by swinging open the front lid. It is big enough for my 90 macro-elmar m. If the lens is bigger (like 135) then I detach the front lid and the camera is still protected. It was supposed to be a prototype for a better finished one later but it actually looks good when front lid is closed therefore I didn't redo the interior.

After few trial and error I figured out the best way to carry it in my backpacking/climbing trips. The strap (Gordy's) is attached to my backpack harness on the top using a small carabiner and rests in the green pouch. The weight is in the pouch (not on the strap) and to my hip belt which is most comfortable while walking. I can simply pull it out of the pouch and bring it over my shoulder to shoot. I can even leave it hanging out of the green pouch either behind or in the front for some time if I expect more picture opportunities. It swings very little in that mode and kind of ok. Of course it goes back in the green pouch if most stability is needed. I can do it all this without taking my backpack off. I do see lots of folks carrying the regular camera bag either across shoulder or in front of the chest but I don't like that. In my setup the camera weight is fully suspended by the backpack harness which is most comfortable when you are already carrying heavy load or scrambling on the rocks for the summit attempt. The camera is secure at the same time ready to shoot.

If you need more closeup pics for details of the construction then PM me.

Edited by jmahto
  • Like 1

Hope you don't mind me leaping onto the topic...I live on the island of Mauritius and so information difficult to come by/ i want to first know if it is possible to have a case that "hides" the LCD screen at the rear ? also if there is any excellent underwater housing you are aware of ? thanks and appreciate any help Dean

The Leica-branded full case hides the LCD.  It's a flap with a hinge at the bottom and magnet at the top.  Opens easy if you need to use the LCD and buttons, otherwise they stay hidden and protected. 

No clue about U/W housing but I think I would use a less expensive camera just in case it leaked ;)