lens converter (tele) for Q?

Indeed, I expect that the quality loss from using some cheap convertor lens not designed for the camera, would be greater than the quality loss from using the crop function. 

If you need a camera with a 50mm lens regularly, then the Q isn't really the right camera for your purposes. 

• 1 month later...

I think this would be a good solution personally for those of us who love our Q but sometimes wish for a slightly longer lens.

I'm sure that if leica put their brains to it they could develop a nice tele converter. Similar to what Fuji has done with X100 line of cameras and 2 available tele-lens converters.

they are not super sharp on all edges but they get good results.

don't be so closed minded on the potential for this. It would make it even more appealing if these were available.

• Like 2

In an interview a Leica executive dangled the possibility of more Q cameras at different focal lengths. He said Leica wanted a certain level of both lens quality and compact size and that 28mm was the easier to implement than 50mm and 35mm.

I find 28mm has too much unpleasant perspective when I get close enough to the scene. A 50mm Q would be hard to resist.

In an interview a Leica executive dangled the possibility of more Q cameras at different focal lengths. He said Leica wanted a certain level of both lens quality and compact size and that 28mm was the easier to implement than 50mm and 35mm.

I find 28mm has too much unpleasant perspective when I get close enough to the scene. A 50mm Q would be hard to resist.

A 35mm Q  would be v hard to resist

• Like 1

i know that Raynox is doing good quality converters, there are tele converters like this that multiply for 1.5x

i m curios if it will fill full frame lens :

http://raynox.co.jp/english/dcr/dcr1541pro/index.htm

In the promotional video you can see the extreme vignetting with the camera zoom at wideangle position. I had the same experience with the teleconverter for the Olympus XZ1. It will only fill the frame at the longest focal length.

I think a teleconverter for a 28 mm lens would need a soup plate-sized front lens and a huge barrel, otherwise the camera lens will "see" the inside of the converter.

I have to say one wonders if something along these lines maybe in the pipeline as Q like the X100 has the ring that needs to be removed to attach the lens hood  or wide/tele adaptor. Just a thought

Unfortunately, this design just follows a concept Leica started to apply to their M lenses just a couple of years ago: screw on lens hood instead of bayonet mount or snap mount.

In the promotional video you can see the extreme vignetting with the camera zoom at wideangle position. I had the same experience with the teleconverter for the Olympus XZ1. It will only fill the frame at the longest focal length.

I think a teleconverter for a 28 mm lens would need a soup plate-sized front lens and a huge barrel, otherwise the camera lens will "see" the inside of the converter.

yes i m also afraid that it will be a 1kg converter and large like a small dish :-)

• 1 year later...

When cropped to 50mm perspective, the RAW from my Q gives me three very important reasons NOT to use a converter:

1.  Like the rangefinders, I can see more than just the image area... and time my composition to capture "the decisive moment".  And in post processing, you can move the crop frame to exactly compose your subject.

2.  The resulting crop has sufficient resolution IF properly composed, framed, exposed, processed.  Haven't we all sold images created with less than 12 Mb ?

3.  No miscellaneous stuff in your kit.  Nothing else to lose,  Nothing else to clean.  No messing with the lens shade.  Want 50mm, just select it while shooting.  I'm always at 28mm but leave the 50mm frame lines active for spontaneous portraits.  Easy!

Lens quality is superb on the Summilux and you can grab your 50mm or 35mm on the fly without messing with adding/removing pieces.  They key point is shooting RAW so that you have all of the sensor's data without any processing.

Been shooting with Leicas since 1974 (M2R and 35 Summicron) and over the years have had M3s, two M4s, an M8, two M9s, and many lenses, and now added a Q, and this is something that's anathema to the company. I have to say, I find the notion pretty ridiculous myself.

Putting lesser quality glass in front of one of their lenses, is just not something they even consider. I agree that with the file size, quality of the Q's sensor, resolving quality of the lens that's on it, and using a good interpolation app like Blow UP, it's easy to crop a 50mm FOV, and make good sized prints if you want. I've blown up really nice prints from my M8 (10MP) up to 16x20 that look great.

Either crop the file, or use your feet, but don't put a Coke bottle in front of a Summilux.

Edited by beez
  • Like 1

To be clear, a cropped 50mm image from the Q sensor at around 12 megapixels is not even close to the quality from a 12 megapixel full-frame image. The 50mm crop on the Q is barely passable on Instagram on the iPhone 6 Plus screen.

The perfect Q for me would have a 40-50 mp sensor for cropping, but that's unlikely to happen given Leica seems to have settled on 24 mp for a while.

Further, the option to shoot an ultra-high res Q at half-resolution when not cropped, then increase the resolution as the focal length was increased would be insane. On a 50 mp sensor for example, you could have it set to shoot a 25 megapixel image at 28mm (lower-res mode) and then automatically switch to native hi-res mode to capture a 25 megapixel image at 50mm. This option would be great for folks like me who wanted a high-quality APS-C-sized crop at 50mm (a true "hard crop" without the rest of the full frame data), but didn't want to deal with 50 mp image sizes when shooting full frame at 28mm. In a nutshell – using the sensor as a teleconverter.

Edited by hdmesa
  • Like 1

• 4 years later...
On 7/26/2015 at 10:07 PM, earleygallery said:

Indeed, I expect that the quality loss from using some cheap convertor lens not designed for the camera, would be greater than the quality loss from using the crop function. 

If you need a camera with a 50mm lens regularly, then the Q isn't really the right camera for your purposes. 

Also, maybe in backlight you get some flares that you would not get and thus another look. 

So you have 4 Looks 

1. Normal

2. Macro 

3. Zoom 

4. Zoom Macro 

And the background blur will be different.

So I guess that it has to be proven that its bad. 

I use a Nisi Macro Lens for the Q2 and here is the jpg original :

https://www.dropbox.com/t/ma6ovDUoMXD7n8se

This is without backlight, which I will do next time. 

So stay tuned. 

For me it's about having different option or non with this camera. 

But I like to decide. And If they would make a Lens doubling from Leica

I would buy this converter. Because it gives me options when I need them. 

I am 80% of the time fine with the lens. Because I know what I will get. 

But sometimes I would like to be able to alter it. 

And then the nisi comes in handy (or Lpro) or a lens doubler ....

I worked with these things all the time when I only had a little Sony PC100

Which was my first video/digital camera. And yes there are times where it's not appropriate 

to use these things. 

Take a picture every Day ! 

cheers Peter 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!