Filter polarizing for X Vario

Guytou

Guy, what do the filter spec sheets recommend regarding use on 28mm lenses?

It is to perhaps better buy a slim which has anarrower mouting.

That must avoid the vignettage in 28 mm.

Finally, I hesitate between two brands: B+W andHeliopan.

I thought of having returns of users

Guy

• 2 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

hi Guys

I have a Heliopan Polfilter with 46mm, but not the slim version. Bought a step-up ring 43-46mm and started to use it. Unfortunately I had strong vignetting at 28mm. Not really advisable. Quality and mechanics of the filter are very nice.

I deleted all these pictures with filter.

Daniel

Something to consdier, if you haven't already.

I am trying a ring flash unit, cheap and nasty, but that's beside the point. It has a native 58mm screw thread fitting that likely can be changed, but it's what it came with and I found it easier to just buy a swag of step up rings instead.

My point is that using a 43mm to 58mm stepping ring means that unless I have the zoom at the 70mm setting, it will bind or not work at all, due to the inner section receding into the lens, and under the actual surface. It only drops under by a thread or two, but enough to not alow a stepping ring to be screwed right on.

Gary

Prompted by this thread and by thoughts of an upcoming trip to the hopefully bright blue skies and waters of the Spanish Mediterranean, I looked into just such a filter for my X-Vario. Have just ordered a Marumi DHG 43mm Super Circular Polarising Filter from the Big River.  Should be here in a few days which gives me time to experiment.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Never tried Heliopan but Marumi and of course B+W are rated as far better. See here for full tests and results that are quite surprising..

http://www.lenstip.com/115.1-article-Polarizing_filters_test.html

http://www.lenstip.com/115.4-article-Polarizing_filters_test_Results_and_summary.html

Similarly the tests on UV filters are shown here 

http://www.lenstip.com/113.1-article-UV_filters_test.html

I have used the Marumi mentioned in this thread. It works well, but there is vignetting at the 28mm zoom setting. Not a big deal; it can be corrected in pp. Removing it calls for resetting the zoom to allow finger purchase for unscrewing. Not easy for big fingers so only use the filter when really needed.