Thumbs Up EP-SQ grip for the Leica Q

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I find holding the Q even with the very nice Aventino grip on the Arte De Mano case to quickly become tiring. Adding the Thumbs Up totally changes how positive and easy it is to securely hold the camera. I'll admit it's a personal preference and everybody figures out what works for them, but it's a AAA for me no question.

I agree. In fact, the concave indent on the camera body seems wrong as it requires constant pressure from the thumb area of your hand which is tiring, while the Thumbs Up is actually a supporting and balancing device requiring no finger pressure to be functional. If anything, the concave indent built into the body should been a convex shaped surface. I use a Mr Lim's case with an integrated grip plus the thumbs up. No hand fatigue from that combo.

Edited by lucerne
  • Like 1

I like the feel of the Thumbs Up while shooting, but with the camera slung over my shoulder the poking of the TU is annoying and I end up taking it off if only shooting sporadically. The same applies to my Fuji X100S' Thumbs Up.

Your experience speaks to that we're all different in our approach to using and carrying the camera. I've literally never even thought of that being a problem. I use a long strap. 120 cm. Maybe that let's it hang lose a little more. I love the TU. Good luck figuring it out.

I tried to order it in Portugal: no way.

In Spain: unavailable.

Asked a friend to go to Leica store in Paris: they do not have it and the referenced code is not in their system, so: no way!

I feel so happy!!!! :o  :angry:

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Here's my carry setup for the Q. I typically like wrist straps and a camera bag for a kit this size and weight.  Being that the Q doesn't have a removable lens, the need for a neck/shoulder strap becomes even less of a necessity for me.

- Thumbs Up EP-SQ2

Leica Q Hand Grip

- Lance Camera Straps - Lug Wrist Strap

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by MT0227
  • Like 1

If you have a friend in NYC; Leica Store Soho has plenty of the  Thumbs Up EP-SQ2 in stock

I tried to order it in Portugal: no way.

In Spain: unavailable.

Asked a friend to go to Leica store in Paris: they do not have it and the referenced code is not in their system, so: no way!

I feel so happy!!!! :o  :angry:

• 1 year later...

I bought my Q a few weeks ago and am thoroughly enjoying it. Just wanted to see if anyone was having issues with the original EP-SQ Thumbs Up being loose and coming out? I have a flash I would like to use occasionally, so I would prefer the EP-SQ to the newer model, EP-SQ2, which has a set screw I would need to loosen every time I use the flash. Thoughts from EP-SQ owners? Thanks in advance for any guidance!

I bought my Q a few weeks ago and am thoroughly enjoying it. Just wanted to see if anyone was having issues with the original EP-SQ Thumbs Up being loose and coming out? I have a flash I would like to use occasionally, so I would prefer the EP-SQ to the newer model, EP-SQ2, which has a set screw I would need to loosen every time I use the flash. Thoughts from EP-SQ owners? Thanks in advance for any guidance!

i have the original thumbs up which is very very loose.

i put a little black tape on the bottom  of the thumbs up and it tightened it up so that it now will not fall out... ymmv

I love TU. I've been using them on my M bodies and on the Q ever since the first one was made for the M8. Thumbs Up is one of the best camera accessories ever invented. I do get a slight poke in my ribs when carrying the camera with a shoulder strap, but it is alleviated by switching it to my other side.

The 2nd edition, the SQ2, does have a locking mechanism built in. I have the original version and it has always fit snugly with no chance of coming off.

• Like 1

Well, considering we are talking about a thumb rest accessory (let's face it, not much could go wrong with it) I would much rather have a product like this http://www.dagcamera.com/store/p151/HAND-Del_for_M8%2C9_only_in_black_at_the_moment_black.html

It looks well made and it costs 10 times cheaper. Or I'd rather get the much cheaper and much better hand grip.  But, each to their own as they say.

A plastic hot shoe thumb rest can be had for $7.90. At that price I purchased several to use as gifts. They are robust and similar in shape to these. I already invested in the Thumbs Up original for my Q, however, and won’t be swapping it out.

I've owned my Q for about three weeks and have had two to three extensive shoots with the EQ-SQ.  No problems.  Love the stability and it stays intact.

I’ve had the EQ-SQ for two years. Once when I wasn’t being attentive, it fell out. I stepped on it. Ugh. It scratched the anodizing and the brass showed through. Now I also have brass wear marks where I put my thumb. Last year in Yellowstone I was stopped by a Leica M camera owner who praised the wear marks as a real used Leica. I loved it. It adds great stability to holding the Q and aesthetically looks great.

• Like 1

I’ve had the EQ-SQ for two years. Once when I wasn’t being attentive, it fell out. I stepped on it. Ugh. It scratched the anodizing and the brass showed through. Now I also have brass wear marks where I put my thumb. Last year in Yellowstone I was stopped by a Leica M camera owner who praised the wear marks as a real used Leica. I loved it. It adds great stability to holding the Q and aesthetically looks great.

would love to see your beat up leica q. can't wait till mine is all scratched up, naturally-to give it that character!