Thumbs Up EP-SQ grip for the Leica Q

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi everyone, this week-end, I had the chance to test out a production proof of the Thumbs Up EP-SQ grip for the Leica Q.  I can honestly say that this is a great ergonomic addition to the already fantastic camera, adding that little extra bit of purchase that makes MatchTechnical's Thumbs Up grips so popular. The added benefit of this Thumbs Up is that its design limits inadvertently bumping the Diopter adjustment dial, which often does go out of whack without protection. Once again, you lose the hotshoe, but with the Q's ISO capacities, a flash is rarely needed. Another successful design. 

As an owner of the Thumbs Up Grips for the Leica M8, M9, M240, M246, and X1, I can confidently say that that Thumbs Up EP-SQ does much of the same for the Leica Q as it does for those cameras....it adds a nice secure grip if one feels that they require more than the camera's own offering or as an alternative/addition to the Leica hand grip.

Here are a few pictures that I have taken.

19658862758_999517dc91_b.jpg

19851826721_6c7715f097_b.jpg

19653968608_340337dae1_b.jpg

19653968848_09135c64af_b.jpg

19221101733_4645c1006e_b.jpg

19834626352_ed1bb6b428_b.jpg

19834626712_d241e6a509_b.jpg

19815819666_7ea5970e2b_b.jpg

• Like 8

I can see that it could be useful if you don't have the grip but personally (and I say Personally) I feel that it would be superfluous with it. Also just seems to add to the bulk as I find that the thumb indent and grip work really well together and are actually a clever piece of leica design. Had one on the M9 but felt no need on the M or now with the  Q if using the grip

Edited by viramati
  • Like 3

I have been using my M9 with its Match Technical Thumbs Up. Absolutely like the Thumbs Up a lot and do not have a need for a hand grip.

Pre-ordered this Thumbs Up for my new Q. Will hold the Q hand grip until really needed......

Don't want the Q to be too bulky.

Ashwin. Or anyone!

this looks ideal . I've always had a short version Thumbs Up on my M9.   I can't find any commercial reference to this version for the Q.  They can't simply have made a single unit and there is no mention of the device on the manufacturers website.  Where can it be (pre-) ordered?

Is it designed to allow full access to the configurable button on the rear of the body? 

Thanks

Edited by lucerne

Ashwin. Or anyone!

this looks ideal . I've always had a short version Thumbs Up on my M9.   I can't find any commercial reference to this version for the Q.  They can't simply have made a single unit and there is no mention of the device on the manufacturers website.  Where can it be (pre-) ordered?

Is it designed to allow full access to the configurable button on the rear of the body? 

Thanks

Its about 3 weeks away. The version Ashwin is sharing is a pre production model. Production has just started.

• Like 1

Ashwin. Or anyone!

Thanks

I pre-ordered mine directly with Match Technical. 

• Like 1

Hi guys, I believe that Tim is taking things into production as well speak. 

Hawk, I find that the thumbs up works very well without using the Leica grip as well, given that the body of the Q is lighter than an M body, but the heft/girth is similar to the M9.

Terry, I figured I'd get the word out...more my doing than Tim's, but he's been very kind to me (one of my first friends in the Leica world). 

• Like 1

That has truly been priced to match a Leica's price. £110 for an accessory which blocks the hotshoe is a bit steep. Definitely not for me.

well technically it doesn't block the hotshot, it uses the hot shoe...and its easy to remove if you need a flash

That has truly been priced to match a Leica's price. £110 for an accessory which blocks the hotshoe is a bit steep. Definitely not for me.

I can't speak to the details of his pricing, but Tim puts an enormous amount of care and design into his products. Is knock off manufacturing cheaper, a,most certainly, but I'm impressed by his work, dedication and quality, so I'm a customer. The price is what it is.

Much like Leica, Match Technical's stuff costs more, but is designed better and if an issue ever occurs they stand behind their product. It also helps that they hold their value, which makes the cost of ownership negligible if you decide to sell it down the road.

Thanks for the write up, Ashwin!

Well, considering we are talking about a thumb rest accessory (let's face it, not much could go wrong with it) I would much rather have a product like this http://www.dagcamera.com/store/p151/HAND-Del_for_M8%2C9_only_in_black_at_the_moment_black.html

It looks well made and it costs 10 times cheaper. Or I'd rather get the much cheaper and much better hand grip.  But, each to their own as they say.