Solve my D-Lux 109 'mystery'

Advertisement (gone after registration)

OK, I've looked through the 304 page pdf that is the English version of the D-Lux 109 user manual. Nowhere, not in an illustration nor description, can I find an explanation of the purpose of the small flap on the battery/SD card door. This flap opens outward with a fingernail but seems to serve no purpose. Anyone know why it's there?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Thanks in advance for solving this 'mystery'.

Photogray, good morning!

Here's a semi-educated guess. There's a similar port on my DL5 and what I vaguely remember is about similar ports is this: it's most likely to be a power cord port.

At some time in the past I bought and used with great success a battery-shaped power adaptor that had a bottom socket into which one could plug a very long power cord,

This in turn led to a transformer for wall (AC) power.

I could then have my camera on for the long periods of time required by the timelapse job it was assigned to - several weeks.

Now I know that many cameras have plenty enough battery power for that kind of thing these days, but then again most modern cameras can shoot video as well, which requires a lot more power.

Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Best!

C

• 2 weeks later...

Leica doesn't mentioned it in their manual probably because Leica doesn't offer the external power supply as an accessory.  I purchased the external power supply from Panasonic and use it on my Type 109 for time lapse photography.  It works just fine.  When you buy the power supply you must purchase the connector for the Type 109 / Lumix.  Panasonic was helpful in selecting the correct connector.

Leica doesn't mentioned it in their manual probably because Leica doesn't offer the external power supply as an accessory.  I purchased the external power supply from Panasonic and use it on my Type 109 for time lapse photography.  It works just fine.  When you buy the power supply you must purchase the connector for the Type 109 / Lumix.  Panasonic was helpful in selecting the correct connector.

Interestingly you comment on helpful Panasonic where. I have always found Panasonic a very good company to deal with. As good as Leica Mayfair and better than some Leica dealers. Hence my decision to buy the LX 100  than pay considerably more for a type 109.

BrianP

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Interestingly you comment on helpful Panasonic where. I have always found Panasonic a very good company to deal with. As good as Leica Mayfair and better than some Leica dealers. Hence my decision to buy the LX 100  than pay considerably more for a type 109.

BrianP

I quite agree. I have never been let down by Panasonic even when many years ago now the Leica D2 which has the same "innards" as the Panasonic Lumix LC1 were losing sensors at a high rate.   Panasonic were replacing the sensors with a minimum of fuss and even checked through, what was by then my well used camera, with the AF system totally renewed and returned to me by courier at no cost to myself.  I seem to remember that Leica eventually did the same but not until much later in the saga.  The sensor supplier (Sony) had accepted full responsibility and supplied replacement sensors F.O.C. to Panasonic.  As far as I know, the replacement sensors are still working very well indeed.

I also chose to buy the LX100! ;)

Edited by dhsimmonds