What Leica compact for portraits?

NZDavid

Advertisement (gone after registration)

An engineer fellow liked my Leica and is keen on upgrading his camera. He especially likes portraits with nice soft bokeh. He wants best possible IQ, including dynamic range and color fidelity, and also wants the camera to be relatively compact. At present he has an older Panasonic G1 plus various lenses including the Leica 25. What new body to recommend? I don't think a rangefinder would be right for him. I suggested the new Panasonic GX-8. Anything else from Leica? I think the XV lens would be too slow and the X too wide. Leica T? But he likes a traditional interface. A shame Leica doesn't make another interchangeable lens AF compact. Any other ideas? 

Sounds like an Exam ? - or a Conundrum!

I doubt any compact/P&S will give the dynamic range he desires.

Maybe a rental XVario for a week or so will be sufficient to confirm just how good a photographic tool it really is...

While Leica can't offer a camera/lens combination for every potential purchaser, sometimes the purchaser needs to compromise in order to get the Leica experience..

I would suggest Panasonic LX100 . I bought one a few month ago and I am amazed at the results . Printed some pics to A3 yesterday and was very pleased. Not sure about printing to A2 but with a bit of care at the picture taking stage I may get some surprises. If Davids friend insists on a Red Dot then the same camera is Dlux 109. Price differance down under may not be great but Pan where offering the camera inc case,spare battery,card and 5 year warranty for £500 when I bought mine.

Sure I can get better results with my M lenses but my 28 cron 35 lux 50 lux and 75 cron where all at least 400% more expensive than the LX 100. 

Brian

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I should have clarified -- it just needs to be a compact size, something smaller than a DSLR, not necessarily an all-in-one. A fast lens would help for portraits. As he already has the Leica 1.4/25 DG Summilux I reckon it would make sense to keep it if possible and just get another body like the Panasonic GX-8 -- unless another all-in-one camera like the XV or LX100/D-Lux Typ 109 would produce better IQ? He is after quality all-round.

To be honest the words "I want the best" followed by "but" is not easily answered.

Leica have the D-Lux, V-Lux, T, X, Q ranges that will offer far more than the average Joe photographer

will ever really need. Whatever is put forward will probably be answered with "Ok" "But" -

Probably the best idea:- Q plus a pre owned XV..