Lens hood for 90 mm f4 Elmar-C

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have acquired one of these old lenses and am aware that the 39 filter thread size is a different pitch from the more common 39mm thread, as is used on the Minolta branded version of the lens.  I also understand that the Series 5.5 filter is intended to be held in place by the original rubber lens hood.

In viewing the specs for the lens in the Wiki ( http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-wiki.en/index.php/90mm_f/4_Elmar-C ) I notice that two other lens hoods are listed as being suitable for this lens (  Accessories - Hood: 12517 - Also used: IUFOO12585), but in viewing images of the hoods and the lens in my hand, it does not appear that they are compatible.

Has anyone any experience using wither the IUFOO or the 12585 on this lens?  Thanx.

Both IUFOO (12575) and 12585 hoods can be used with the Elmar-C 90/4 but the 12585 is made for 35 and 50mm lenses. It won't offer enough shade to 90mm lenses in general and your Elmar especially. The 12575 is very effective and can be reversed for transportation but it is a bulky hood. Ma favorite is the regular 12517 rubber hood (on the 90/4 macro below) and its hood cap # 14191.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Both IUFOO (12575) and 12585 hoods can be used with the Elmar-C 90/4 but the 12585 is made for 35 and 50mm lenses. It won't offer enough shade to 90mm lenses in general and your Elmar especially. The 12575 is very effective and can be reversed for transportation but it is a bulky hood. Ma favorite is the regular 12517 rubber hood (on the 90/4 macro below) and its hood cap # 14191.

attachicon.gif12575-03.jpg

attachicon.gifLeicaM_Hood_12585_01.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC01546_crop_after.jpg

OUTSTANDING!  Thanks :)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have acquired one of these old lenses and am aware that the 39 filter thread size is a different pitch from the more common 39mm thread, as is used on the Minolta branded version of the lens.  I also understand that the Series 5.5 filter is intended to be held in place by the original rubber lens hood.

In viewing the specs for the lens in the Wiki ( http://www.l-camera-...0mm_f/4_Elmar-C ) I notice that two other lens hoods are listed as being suitable for this lens (  Accessories - Hood: 12517 - Also used: IUFOO12585), but in viewing images of the hoods and the lens in my hand, it does not appear that they are compatible.

FOLLOWUP

After further investigation with a 12575 hood and the Elmar-C f4 actually in hand, it appears that the Wiki is actually in error saying that the 12575 and the IUFOO can be used.  The lens in question lacks a grove on the end in which the hood locking tabs catch.  This grove id present in the Elmar-M, but not the Elmar-C.  I'm machining an adapter.

Sorry for my bad advice. I thought that the Elmar-C has the same barrell as the Tele-Elmarit 90/2.8 but i ws wrong. My apologies. :(

Not at all.  I was going to try putting one on the lens anyway. :)  I'm pretty handy at making adapters and that's what I would have done regardless.

In any case, the Wiki is in complete agreement with you.  Anyone have the ability to edit the Wiki?

Edited by Schrödinger's cat
  • Like 1