Added Macbook to a PC workflow

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have a main pc editing machine.

I have just purchased a macbook to add to my workflow. It is not to edit everything but to edit files while on the go. 

i have run into one big issue. I cannot figure out how to take the files from the macbook and import them into my pc catalog without losing the edits.

Anyone have any ideas?

My workflow. PP on MBPro (any App) save edited images to a new file on desktop.

On my network I transfer file to another computer (desktop) and then import to where I decide..

I always keep the "transfer file" as a b/up on a separate external HD..L

Edited by manoleica

Export as catalogue with edits and import catalogue into your main machine, moving the files to your normal location. Fairly straightforward in LR.

John

Import from another Catalogue?

It says Lightroom cannot import from this catalog. 

The catalog has been created by a newer version of lightroom. 

Both lightrooms are up to date.

Edited by freitz

I have a catalog on my Macbook 2015 Retina. I want to add it to my main catalog on my PC. Both running lightroom cc. I would like to save all my edits that I made on the macbook.

Edited by freitz

I do this frequently. Import to my MacBook Air while traveling and edit on LR. I "Export as DNG" to an SD card, Dropbox folder or really any medium. The DNG format retains the editing history, keywords, ratings, etc. Then import the DNG files into your main catalog. Make sure you click on the "Embed Raw File" option to be able to revert to the original raw file if you want.

I do this frequently. Import to my MacBook Air while traveling and edit on LR. I "Export as DNG" to an SD card, Dropbox folder or really any medium. The DNG format retains the editing history, keywords, ratings, etc. Then import the DNG files into your main catalog. Make sure you click on the "Embed Raw File" option to be able to revert to the original raw file if you want.

So you can revert to the original raw file after exporting as DNG? DNG format keeps everything?

So you can revert to the original raw file after exporting as DNG? DNG format keeps everything?

. You can definitely revert to the original raw file if you have embedded it. Go to the develop module, Settings>Reset All Settings.

I can't remember if the exported DNG retains the adjustment history, but it retains the adjustments and can be reset to the raw settings using the above process. It also retains ratings, keywords, flags, etc.

I suppose Bridge isn't an asset manager. You need a database to manage your images so you can find the picture you need.

I was requested a pic from a client taken years ago.   She told me Sept 2007.    Found it inside 2 minutes not counting the 20 to plug in the back up drive that has been idle for some time which contained pic from 2004 to 2010.  

This is asset management enough for me.    

2 minutes, actually less,  is far less time than putting stars on files, and all the other tasks.   Each job is titled year-month-date   event.     The year up front is the key as it is self sorting.   There are sub folders for original, photoshop, final jpegs with size as part of the title.