Affinity Photo?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

There appears to be a new post processing programme for OSX, Affinity Photo.

I'm currently using Lightroom 6, however, with Adobe moving to renting software rather than selling it, any credible alternative is worth a look.

Has anyone tried Affinity yet?

Stefan

I've downloaded any number of the betas and have just bought the first release version for, I think, $39.99.  For that price it's a deal!  My normal post processor is LightRoom, with Photoshop if necessary (and perhaps various plugins such as Silver Efex).  Affinity Photo is fairly fast to work with but its workflow is different enough from my usual that I've not yet gotten far into it.  Certain features seem advanced, others, such as their sharpening, rudimentary.  My biggest gripe is that there is no user manual, only some video tutorials, which I've started to watch.

Edited by erudolph
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

My standard program is PS elements with NIK software plug ins. Last summer I bought Affinity Photo. Comparing PS elements and Affinity Photo I prefer Affinity because Affinity has a better use of the RAM (internal memory) of my MAC and its uses 16 bits instead of the 8 bits that PS elements use. And Affinity has very good instruction video's on YouTube.

You can use the NIK software in Affinity as well but not in both applications. So you have to choose. 

I would say give it a try. I would prefer Affinity above Lightroom but I am not sure I would prefer Affinity above PhotoShop.

• 2 months later...

I would say give it a try. I would prefer Affinity above Lightroom but I am not sure I would prefer Affinity above PhotoShop.

No reason one cannot integrate the two (or Photoshop, for that matter)...   

A friend has good things to say about Affinity.  For the price ($49.99, no subscription required, plus free updates), might have to give it a try.

Jeff

Affinity might be an alternative in the long-term. But does it match the spectrum of capabilities of LR currently? I would be reluctant to change horses and find I have lost my image management capability.

I've been using Affinity Photo both in Beta & initial release.  I came to it from LR by way of Aperture until Apple stopped supporting the latter.  Without knowing what features of LR are essential to your workflow I'm not certain how to advise you.  I would suggest that you go onto the Affinity Forum (https://affinity.serif.com/forum/) & you may find the anwers there.  There is a listing of all current features as well as a planned roadmap that might also help.  In terms of image management capabiity, if you mean by that DAM, then I can tell you that you should still be able to keep all of your categories & folders in LR (or probably the Bridge also).  Affinity plans also to add a DAM feature to Photo but is working first on filling out all of the needed funtionality.  I am currently still using Aperture for my asset management until Photo can do it.  Hope this helps.

• Like 1