M/ and infinity focus

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On my M7 (0.58VF) there is something very strange, at least for me! When I try to focus very far objets (like a crane at 1 km from where I'm) I do not manage to over impose the two images in the RF in a correct way. On the lens I'm already at the infinity mark and the crane not yet appears to be over imposed in the RF path.

The RF was calibrated only a few weeks ago and it was perfect, I only shot three rolls of films and now it happens again. Probably with a 35 or 50 at F= 8 it does not affect anyway the focus on the photo but it is disturbing me the fact it does not work as it is supposed to do. Am'I to sensible? Should I learn to live with it?

If I want to have it correct I need to calibrate it at least once each 4/6 months.

Of course I do not drop the camera and take care of it in a normal way. Any comments and suggestions are appreciated.

robert

Edited by robert blu
  • Like 2

I encountered a similar issue with several of my RF cameras (Leica and others)...so basically I check them semi-annually and adjust as necessary. I've found some seem to fall out of adjustment with seasonal temperature changes or light bumps. I got so annoyed that several years ago I vowed to not use RF cameras again....but the draw brought me back into the fold. Remember that optical infinity is generally regarded as 1000 x focal length, although I typically use 3000 or 4000 x focal length and then check how it looks on a starry night. Usually it is right on. And like you, I want to see things at great distance spot on in the rangefinder alignment.

• 3 weeks later...

Clear sky and luminous moon tonight! I tried to focus my M7 but was not able to collimate the RF images, to do that I had to turn the barrel more which of course is not possible. So, the moon is too far away!

When I have the mark on infinity I collimate the windows of a building on the other side of the road (30 m?) . AS I said in my first post the RF was aligned a few weeks ago.

Spydrxx post above let me think if this could be due to the ambient temperature change, we had around 20°C when calibrated and we have now 35°C.

Not much used of the camera, no drop or bumps. 

robert

I think I'd call my CLA person, most have a warranty period on their work, and have him touch it up.

Thanks for your suggestion. My problem is that I have this camera since 6/ 7 years now and when I use it I have to calibrate the RF at least a couple of time each year. I tried two different local laboratories both expert in mechanical cameras, I sent it  to Solms a couple of times. But each time it's the same thing. Of course i can live with it, with the 35 which is my most used focal length it doesn't give any practical problem but I'm curious to understand if it is normal or not!

I read in this forum of people who never calibrated the RF in many years of use and this surprises me very much. Somebody told me that the 0.58 VF is more delicate than the others (?).

A part of this it'a a pleasure to use the M7!

robert

PS: By the way this is stopping me to consider a digital RF which probably in case of need should be sent to Solms for RF calibration in order not to void the warranty, with related waiting times.

• Like 1