Considering swapping from Fuji to the Q

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This is why used the X100s exclusively shooting black&white. The color rendition of the old X100 was so much better to my eye. Now i'm

blown away from color, contrast and dynamic range of the Q!

I still have the original and have to say there is something about the rendering of the Bayer sensor that I love. I do like the xtrans though.

Let me know how it works. I rarely use the ovf on my x100 though so I'd probably be OK.

A question for Q owners: is there a rangefinder focusing option on the Q? I know the peaking is pretty good.

No there is no RF mechanisum but the manual focusing is suprisingly well implemented. You have focus peaking and magnification but personally I don't like the way the focus magnification is limited to either auto on or just off and prefer to use just peaking

No there is no RF mechanisum but the manual focusing is suprisingly well implemented. You have focus peaking and magnification but personally I don't like the way the focus magnification is limited to either auto on or just off and prefer to use just peaking

I thought the auto magnification was great but I can see that it might get annoying. Maybe they'll change it in a firmware update.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Keep in mind that all digital cameras will end of life or become obsolete in a few short years.  Don't look at buying the digital Leica as an investment.  Lenses - depending on which ones could be something of an investment.  Digital bodies just don't have the value staying power over the old film cameras.

I shoot a lot of different gear and have had a lot of Fuji's as well.  The X100 series is a really good camera and I wouldn't give up on it just because the Leica Q exists.  That said, there are a lot of nice pluses with the Q and if your budget can absorb the cost and the desire to shoot a Leica is in your blood... do so.

• Like 1

Personally I think the Q is probably the best and most innovative camera, in a classical sort of way, that Leica have made since entering the digital era.

My vote is for the X1

The first APS-C compact (in fact big sensor compact full stop) and a lovely compact body, for some reason fixed lens cameras have become fatter since ....

This set the scene for all the X100, RX1, Q, GR etc.

I think this was the most innovative digital camera Leica has made to date. It was also a good seller.

Edited by colonel
  • Like 4

Yes the X1 did indeed precede the X100 but with the Q I really feel that Leica have really come of age in digital technology. Whereas the X1 had great IQ it certainly lacked in other areas and I personally find the Q is hard to fault as a photographic tool. Of course this is just my personal opinion. 

Hi, I am Fuji user, planning to buy Leica for the 1st time. Q is my choice.

As Fuji user I am happy with the way Fuji always update the firmware.

Is Leica doing the same approach? I don't really like Sony who keep on launching new model instead of updating the firmware.

Thx

Hi, I am Fuji user, planning to buy Leica for the 1st time. Q is my choice.

As Fuji user I am happy with the way Fuji always update the firmware.

Is Leica doing the same approach? I don't really like Sony who keep on launching new model instead of updating the firmware.

Thx

I agree that the way fuji have updated firmware especially on older cameras should be a lesson to the industry and especially Sony. Leica is of course a much smaller company than fuji so things do take longer to get done but recently they have been pretty good at updating the firmware on their cameras to give use useful upgrades where possible. The M is now in many ways quite a different camera to when it was launched due to this process so I would expect to see the same for the Q especially as it looks like being quite a success.

Edited by viramati

Fuji does a terrific job of updating firmware and adding features every time. They listen very well and react to customer needs rather than wants. My Leica experience through the M9 has told me Leica is willing to makes changes and additions as well. But, very slowly! My hope is they follow the dramatic introduction of the Q with a corresponding reaction to needed improvements. Having said that, the camera is so advanced for Leica, improvements may be difficult to define in the early going. It is one hellava nice machine!!

Fuji does a terrific job of updating firmware and adding features every time. They listen very well and react to customer needs rather than wants. My Leica experience through the M9 has told me Leica is willing to makes changes and additions as well. But, very slowly! My hope is they follow the dramatic introduction of the Q with a corresponding reaction to needed improvements. Having said that, the camera is so advanced for Leica, improvements may be difficult to define in the early going. It is one hellava nice machine!!

That's one thing I've been concerned about. I've heard that firmware for the M9 has been sketchy.

. Though there are people complaining of the M8 being abandoned.

Which is a bit of nonsense. The M8 - dating back to 2006- is still fully supported, however there was an unfortunate chain of events that resulted in the unavailability of one part: the LCD display. For the rest there is no problem servicing the camera, other than the obvious economic balance between cost and value.

Should one be unfortunate enough to require a new LCD, Leica will offer a rather generous (but still expensive :() upgrade to a current camera.

• Like 1