How to prevent importing jpeg's in Lightroom 6.0?

Guest Alxndr

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I tried out the X Vario for a while and that series does record both the JPG & DNG versions for whatever reasons chosen by Leica Camera in the design. 
As far as I recall there is no way to not import the JPGs initially without manually selecting every file you want to import from the card.

However the fix in Lightroom is quick and easy. CTRL/CMD A to select all of the files in the new import.  Filter by file type and go to town ;-)

Use X for reject and then you can do your cull of any DNGs you don't want as well. Then you can delete all rejected photos together when you wish.

Guest Alxndr

I tried out the X Vario for a while and that series does record both the JPG & DNG versions for whatever reasons chosen by Leica Camera in the design. 

As far as I recall there is no way to not import the JPGs initially without manually selecting every file you want to import from the card.

However the fix in Lightroom is quick and easy. CTRL/CMD A to select all of the files in the new import.  Filter by file type and go to town ;-)

Use X for reject and then you can do your cull of any DNGs you don't want as well. Then you can delete all rejected photos together when you wish.

Geoff, thanks. But I'm not sure whether this is more convenient than selecting and deleting the jpeg's collectively before importing them (outside Lightroom). But that's maybe because I don't kno how to 'filter by type' in Lightroom. :) How do you do that? I don't see it as an option in the filter bar.

Why delete the JPEGs? If you don't check the "treat JPEG files next to raw files as separate photos" in the General, Import Options on the Preferences panel then they don't get in the way at all.

You can select file types to display in the library filter, click on metadata, click on the right of one of the filter's menu bar (there's a drop down arrow and an icon of a menu), select Add Column. Open the selection box where the new column's title says "None", and choose File Type from near the top of the list.

Guest Alxndr

Why delete the JPEGs? If you don't check the "treat JPEG files next to raw files as separate photos" in the General, Import Options on the Preferences panel then they don't get in the way at all.

No, they don't get in the way. But they do eat up hard disk space. So why keep them?

Guest Alxndr

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Because they probably use about 20€ worth of space on your five terabyte drive and you've spent more than that in time at minimum wage trying to find a way to delete them.

I like your reasoning. But in fact I'm doing things on a Macbook Pro with a 120 GB or so SSD, of which right now only 17,99 GB seems to be available...

Guest Alxndr

Here's a screen shot on how to filter JPEG's in Lr 6: http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/246965-jpeg-removal-lr6/?p=2843146 or a couple of posts down from that Paul's more elegant solution (but you'll need to have at least one jpeg file in the current library view to see a JPEG option listed).

Jonathan

Thanks Jonathan, and everybody else for all suggestions.

I conclude that, as deleting the JPEG's in Lightroom takes at least as much steps and time as in my Mac's Finder, it makes more sense to me to delete them befóre importing them. But I understand that's a personal preference.

Thanks again.

• Like 1

Because they probably use about 20€ worth of space on your five terabyte drive and you've spent more than that in time at minimum wage trying to find a way to delete them.

That's a common misconception, too.

Storing data you don't need does not only eat the space it resides on. It eats space on each backup volume, eats bandwidth when doing backups, eats time when copying from the first medium to the storage medium, eats time each time the storage medium is copied, eats time whenever one of the many programs decides it's time to scan the contents of all directories on one or all drives, eats time whenever the virus protection program does same.

They get in the way when you merely try out a new image catalog program.

And on and on.

• Like 1

On a pc,  you can sort files by file extension and DNG goes to on group,  jpeg separate.  Import or save the group you want.   I have yet to be able to do this on a mac.    

How unfortunate because sorting by 'kind' is a native os x routine.

How unfortunate because sorting by 'kind' is a native os x routine.

I don't understand. I can sort the files on my Mac by "kind", and that groups all DNGs together, apart from the jpgs. Is this not the case in the English version?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I dont see what the problem is, copying files onto a computer is easier done using the usual file copying features of the software, in windows just open a window to view the files on the camera, open one for the destination folder, and then simply copy the files files (raw only if you want) from the camera to the pc folder. Sort out the duff ones if you want.

Then import to Lightroom's catalogue.

No deleting necessary

Gerry

I guess that this comes down to preferences in how we work and convenience?
If the JPGs are initially imported into your library (and hence added to the catalogue) then deleting them outside of LR would result in missing files reports. So the deletion would need to be done from the source prior to the import. I just like to be able to put the cards into my reader and have LR do the importing. I prefer to avoid any file management actions in the cards by my PC or Mac (and don't format the cards except in the cameras either). When I import I have LR configured to simultaneously make a second copy into a different drive. After I confirm those two intitiial copies are successful, I just delete all in the camera ready for next use.

Some cameras can be configured to write JPG versions to a different card simultaneously but that's not useful for the single card cameras of course.

For myself I find the filtering options in LR to be very important, especially when you deal with large numbers of images naturally.

Just a couple of observations on the above, surely you are 'allowing the computer to do file management on your card', Lightroom is simply using the operating system to do the copying. I prefer to leave the card in the camera if at all possible, less risk of damage, and its always better in general to format your discs/cards in the device thats going to use them, and to format rather than simply delete files.

And there's no reason surely why the filtering options in Lightroom cant be just as effective when importing to it's catalogue from a folder on the hard drive?

Gerry

• 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thanks Jonathan, and everybody else for all suggestions.

I conclude that, as deleting the JPEG's in Lightroom takes at least as much steps and time as in my Mac's Finder, it makes more sense to me to delete them befóre importing them. But I understand that's a personal preference.

Thanks again.

Perfectly sensible and in my case I hadn't considered that because I always import my images in the same way which is from memory card in reader directly. If you are copying them first to one location then importing in LR from there (?) then your method makes perfect sense to me. To continue the discussion in general, doing it the way I use means that I am automatically having a second copy of the original files made to a different location via that import setting in Lightroom. Of course there is much else that you are able to automate in that process too.

I'm in the proces of switching from Aperture to Lightroom. We all know, of course, that a digital Leica makes jpeg's next to dng's. But I'm not using the jpeg's, just the dng's. In Lightroom 6.0's import screen you don't get to see the jpeg's. But nevertheless I noticed that importing the dng's results in importing the jpeg's as well! Does anybody know how to prevent this? The 'best' answer to this question I found on the web was deleting the jpeg's manually after importing...

I don't know what all the confusion on this thread is about. 

• Go to Lightroom Preferences.
  • Click the General tab.
  • Uncheck the "Treat JPEG files next to raw files as separate photos" option.

Lightroom will ONLY import the DNG files once this option is un-set. This works the same way in Lightroom 6.x as it did in Lightroom 1.0. 

---

BTW: Lightroom only ever accesses original image files by reference, on either Windows or OS X. "Importing" in LR parlance means "making the image files known in the LR catalog (database)". If you use the LR import tools to move the files from card to computer, LR is simply copying them into the file system in the locations you want them to go, then recording their information in the catalog database. All files imported into Lightroom are accessible to all other apps on the computer as well. 

Just be sure you don't move them or delete them outside of LR or you'll mess up the information that LR has about them and then you have to clean up the LR catalog (a perfectly doable thing, just tedious as all heck). And if you create additional copies of them in the original locations, LR won't know about them until you synchronize the folder in the LR catalog. Easy stuff.