Advice on batteries for Leicaflex SL

rrf

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi folks,
I have a problem with my Leicaflex SL and I'd really appreciate some advice. When I bought it, I put in a Cris adapter with a 386 battery - the meter worked just fine for about 2 weeks, and then just stopped working. Since then, I've tried several fresh 386 batteries with the Cris adapter and no joy with the meter. A google search found some mentions of the Cris adapter not working well with the SL. I really like the option of having a meter in camera, so I'd be very grateful for a solution, based on your experience.
Many thanks,
Raj

Not every type of PX 625 battery used to work in the SL battery chamber - it's fussy. I recall that Kodak brand PX 625 batteries worked but other well known brands did not - even though they looked identical. You might try adding some silver foil to the battery adapter to slightly enlarge it. 

dunk

I have been using wein cell batteries on my Leicaflexes without any adapters or modifications. I have been using it on my SL, SL2, SL MOT and SL2 MOT. I have never use the adapter you are talking about. Not sure where you are located. Wein cell batteries can be easily bought easily in the US. 

Edited by AB007

• 2 months later...

Following  on  from   the   above  , I  have  just  had  to  dump  an  original  1.35V   battery  as it  was  exhausted. 

I was  wondering  about   putting  in  a  modern  1.5V  battery  . I  can easily   adjust  the  film  speed to  compensate  .  However   might  I  damage  the  electronic parts   inside  by  putting in the   1.5V   battery  ? 

Any  advice ?  Otherwise   I may  get  the SL2   camera  adjusted . 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Would you forgive my stating the obvious checks? If your adapter worked for about two weeks, then it seems unlikely that the problem is the physical fit of the adapter in the camera. There are two further possibilities that ought to be checked out. Firstly, has the adapter coincidentally failed? (A voltmeter across it might be worth a try.) Secondly, has the camera's metering coincidentally failed?

Personally I think this is much ado about very little.  I experimented with using Canon F1's with alkaline batteries, shooting transparencies, and had no difficulty whatever getting good exposures.  I began by installing a fresh battery of each type and could see only a tiny difference in the meter's needle position, very much less effect than the change of one-half stop of exposure. As you know the more serious problem with the alkaline batteries is that the voltage sags when not new.  What that means is that after you install a new 1.5 alkaline the voltage will begin to approach 1.35, so that for most of the battery's life the voltage will more or less approximate 1.35.  I was careful to replace the battery once or twice a year depending on usage, and as I said, never a problem.

That having been said, I did stock up on some mercury Vartas on a trip to Ireland after availability in the USA became problematic and happily there were still some in the icebox after my recent purchase of a couple of Leicaflex SL's, so I have not repeated the experiment with the the alkalines. 

Edited by Rodin Clark

• 3 years later...