Leica Q in Fashion/Portraiture Photography

one more.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 17

Guest Benqui

My conclusion looking at your photos:

1.) You are an amazing photographer

2.) The Q works also very good for fashion photography in experienced hands

Thanks for showing these breathtaking photos

best regards

Marc

• Like 1

These are stunning, thank you for posting them. What advantages do you see in using the Q for studio work rather than your other gear? Does it make you, say, more spontaneous?

Edited by hkgmatt
  • Like 1

Guest jvansmit

Very nice but the blown highlights in the second photos kill the image imho.  A traditional film shot would give you the charming blown out look that you'd be after.

#2 is my favorite....I rather like blown out highlights ;)

• Like 5

These are stunning, thank you for posting them. What advantages do you see in using the Q for studio work rather than your other gear? Does it make you, say, more spontaneous?

Thanks!

Few advantages for studio work:

+ High quality glass

+ Fast flash sync with studio strobes

+ Quick focus

+ Super small and easy to have around Medium format camera and lenses :)

+ I personally love 28mm focal length / it is wide but not too wide and distortion is not that bad at all

+ f/1.7 is not bad when it is a leaf-shutter lens 

Will share more soon :)

• Like 4

My conclusion looking at your photos:

1.) You are an amazing photographer

2.) The Q works also very good for fashion photography in experienced hands

Thanks for showing these breathtaking photos

best regards

Marc

+1 !

Thank you all for your kind words! More will be shared here soon :)

Pls. do!  Excellent work. Really enjoy to see Q not being used "only" for street photography...and it looks damn good!

<Sarcasm alert>. But this isn't a real professional camera, the lens is digitally corrected, it vignettes, it isn't sharp in the corners and.... what was the other thing?...... Oh yes, 28mm is too wide for portraits, and is only good for landscapes. </sarcasm>

Great photos, and I also remember your wonderful studio shots with the M240 and, I think, the Apo-Summicron 50. Thank you for reminding us of the essential element in all this: i.e. photographic talent!

I notice that the model's head is side-on in these shots. Is that because it just happened that way, or was it to avoid perspective distortion with the wide angle in head-on shots?  OTOH, none of them are so close up that distortion need be an issue.

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 1

<Sarcasm alert>. But this isn't a real professional camera, the lens is digitally corrected, it vignettes, it isn't sharp in the corners and.... what was the other thing?...... Oh yes, 28mm is too wide for portraits, and is only good for landscapes. </sarcasm>

Great photos, and I also remember your wonderful studio shots with the M240 and, I think, the Apo-Summicron 50. Thank you for reminding us of the essential element in all this: i.e. photographic talent!

I notice that the model's head is side-on in these shots. Is that because it just happened that way, or was it to avoid perspective distortion with the wide angle in head-on shots?  OTOH, none of them are so close up that distortion need be an issue.

Thanks for your kind words! Yes, you are correct! I've shot with M240 before in the studio and result has been wonderful.

I'm currently using Monochrom M246 + 50 APO and Leica Q in parallel with my Medium Format setup and the mix has been interesting. Specially M246 resolution and result is very close and similar to medium format look and feel. Unfortunately I'm still having some challenges in tethering the M246 in the studio. I'm using the Multifunction grip but data transfer rate is very slow to the computer and I have lost photos because of that. I believe I'm pushing the M system to its limit since this system is not designed purely for studio and fashion work. I don't wanna get in to the technical details and then get tons of interesting replies from Leica fans ;) Main reason that I posted these was to show that Leica Q with it's leaf shutter lens is capable to shoot fashion and portraiture.

Regarding the model pose, it just happen to get her face sideways, I have more shots with model's head facing toward the camera which will post soon. I usually try to keep the face around the center to avoid the lens distortion.

Take care 

• Like 4

• 8 months later...

Very, very nice shots and a tribute to the photographer knowing how to use the strengths and minimize the weaknesses of his tools.

Thank you for sharing. Look forward to more.

Question, how do you sync the Q to your studio strobes? Thanks.