Q Review, Part 3 - Street photography & technical comparisons

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The final part of my review of the Leica Q, mostly using it for street photography in London and also some comparisons with the M, is now on my blog, here:

http://rangefinderchronicles.blogspot.co.uk/2015/07/leica-q-photo-review-part-3-street.html

Thanks for looking

Nick

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 6

Thanks for the comments and views - I'm very happy with the Q  :)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Nick De Marco

I tend to steer clear of bokeh discussions because it is not something that I think is all that important but I have noticed in many of the Q image examples some very distracting, shaky looking bokeh (you can see it in the way the house appears in Nick's photo below). Does anyone else have any opinion on this?

post-8033-0-32482900-1436335429.jpg

• Like 2

Nick,  Thank you for the comparison.  I do see some differences between the Q lens and the cron, but as you point out, the difference seems minimal.  This new camera is everything I've been looking forward to in a Leica system.  Can't wait to get mine.  Thanks again.

• Like 1

I tend to steer clear of bokeh discussions because it is not something that I think is all that important but I have noticed in many of the Q image examples some very distracting, shaky looking bokeh (you can see it in the way the house appears in Nick's photo below). Does anyone else have any opinion on this?

post-8033-0-32482900-1436335429.jpg

i may have posted some  bokeh pictures on this forum and elsewhere.. i think the 'shaking' you refer to may just be an artifact of the angle of the shot through the elements of the lens combined w/the aperture  (i have not noticed any 'shaking' in any of my images) i do not know if this image was shot in macro mode or not or if that even would effect the image.

Edited by prk60091

Thanks for all the comments.

As to the bokeh point, I'm not as distracted as it as you are, but at the same time I agree the photo you highlighted is not beautiful bokeh. I expect it had more to do with the light and angle of the shot, shooting through grass. It's not macro mode - I can tell this by the fact that the photo on flickr shows it was shot at f1.7, and as you know macro starts at f2.8 on the Q. It was a surprisingly fast shutter speed, 1/12000s, which I have never heard of. Obviously the electronic shutter - no idea of this affects bokeh? 

Edited by Nick De Marco
  • Like 1

Thanks for all the comments.

As to the bokeh point, I'm not as distracted as it as you are, but at the same time I agree the photo you highlighted is not beautiful bokeh. I expect it had more to do with the light and angle of the shot, shooting through grass. It's not macro mode - I can tell this by the fact that the photo on flickr shows it was shot at f1.7, and as you know macro starts at f2.8 on the Q. It was a surprisingly fast shutter speed, 1/12000s, which I have never heard of. Obviously the electronic shutter - no idea of this affects bokeh? 

Has anyone tested to see if this distracting out-of-focus effect is due to the digital shutter? Obviously it can't be tested in the same lighting conditions but photographs of the same subject with the same lens aperture and different shutter speeds (electronic and not electronic) would be really useful.

Mike.