OS X RAW Support for the T

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hey Friends!

Can anyone here give me a synopsis of the current state of OS X support for the T DNG format? It seems as if it's not supported, but SO many other Leica cameras are.

Source: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203088

Thanks!

Edited by joshjagdfeld
  • Like 1

As DNG is a Standard, the T files open fine in the photos app on OS X 10.10.4, however i think they have to be imported by drag'n'drop from the finder, as the option "treat DNG as original" is grayed out when i use the built-in importer. I would give Lightroom 6 for sure a go, as it comes free with the Leica T.

• Like 1

Thanks, SirPiet.

I'm an avid Aperture user who briefly switched to Lightroom after the disappointing Aperture news.

But, admittedly, I hate the Adobe UI, and am almost sold on going back to simplicity in the sake of good UI. I'll still edit in Lightroom as necessary, but the library is going to live in Photos.

Thanks again!

EDIT: I see what I was confused by! When using the default import process, only the JPG files were pulled, so I assumed DNG was unsupported. I tried your process of manually dragging in the files, and it worked great. Thank you!

Edited by joshjagdfeld
  • Like 1

Leica T is not technically at the same level of support as the other cameras on that list.

OS X will read the DNGs, but it does not apply any of the lens-specific information that's embedded in the DNG for T lenses. Photos taken with the 23mm prime, for example, will have uncorrected barrel distortion.

• Like 1

Also I'm not sure why you're not seeing both JPG+DNG imported. Photos app should do that by default.

If you see a little "J" icon in the corner of an image, that means there's both a JPG and a RAW/DNG represented there. Photos uses the JPG as the master by default, but if you edit a photo you can choose Image -> Use RAW as Original. (This option is greyed out when in view mode, but should be enabled in Edit mode).

Edited by julian m
  • Like 2

Wow. Wonderful responses. Thank you, everyone.

It's a bummer that the lens information is not supplied, as the 23mm certainly needs some post-love to come out beautifully. Decent amount of barrel distortion and CA are visible without it.

I guess I'll edit in Lightroom, and then export to Photos to archive. Ugh.

As noted, T .DNG files are supported from OS X's imaging library.

You can open them in Preview, for example.

I'm not sure it is Apple's intention to read the extended

data and do lens distortion correction. Is it?

I'm not sure it is Apple's intention to read the extended

data and do lens distortion correction. Is it?

The cameras Apple lists as officially supported have additional corrections applied when necessary, yes (at least for things like barrel distortion, which is a pretty common software correction in cameras these days).

The cameras Apple lists as officially supported have additional corrections applied when necessary, yes (at least for things like barrel distortion, which is a pretty common software correction in cameras these days).

I wish they'd just add the T to that very healthy list of other supported Leica bodies. :-/

When PS/ACR came out with lens corrections,  users were expected to do the corrections and send the data to Adobe who then incorporated it into camera raw as automatic corrections if automatic was selected.  

PT Lens is a great plugin.   Send them a file that meets their correction image specs,  they will then do the corrections.  Their program will do mustache / wave  corrections.