Trying out the new S in Penang

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This morning we had an early start as I wanted to try and get a nice sunrise from a nice wee spot that we found the day before......it pays to do a reiki :)

Well as you can see the sun wasn't favourable but it was a nice opportunity to catch a long exposure before it got to light.

In the short time that I have had the S (two days) I am finding that I can find my way around the shooting menus and buttons without needing a instruction manual in my jacket pocket,but saying that I really have to think about what I am doing and it has defiantly slowed me down............I used to go out and shoot 500 pictures in a morning, I only took 25 pictures all day today and quite a few of those are keepers.

The auto focus is fantastic, even in very little light this morning the AF nailed it first time, speaking of which I took 5 pictures that I intended to stitch together at 1/320 sec (hand held but unfortunately they were not sharp so I guess I will need to practice some more on the best way to hold this camera for hand held shots.

Anyway below is that long exposure that I was talking about;

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 6

Neil-

As you are new to the S, let me give you a few tips..

1. make the AF manual with AF override on the back left sided button under the speed dial.

2. forget the old rule of shutter speed = 2 times the focal length... In the S system, maybe because of the weight or perhaps because of the incredible resolution, I find that handheld shots, even braced, require 3 or 4 times the FL.

3. get the RRS L bracket. It is beautifully designed and will save you a lot of heartaches.

4. Luigi makes a leather half case for the S2 and the S typ 006. They are very helpful and have saved at least one camera body during a fall in the Antarctic in 2011.

Specify which camera you have as they are slightly different.

5. Get the microprism focusing screen... so much better. I think it should be the standard screen.

Albert :rolleyes:  :rolleyes: :rolleyes:  

• Like 1

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Neil-

As you are new to the S, let me give you a few tips..

1. make the AF manual with AF override on the back left sided button under the speed dial.

2. forget the old rule of shutter speed = 2 times the focal length... In the S system, maybe because of the weight or perhaps because of the incredible resolution, I find that handheld shots, even braced, require 3 or 4 times the FL.

3. get the RRS L bracket. It is beautifully designed and will save you a lot of heartaches.

4. Luigi makes a leather half case for the S2 and the S typ 006. They are very helpful and have saved at least one camera body during a fall in the Antarctic in 2011.

Specify which camera you have as they are slightly different.

5. Get the microprism focusing screen... so much better. I think it should be the standard screen.

Albert :rolleyes:  :rolleyes: :rolleyes:  

Morning Albert

Cheers mate for taking the time to help a fellow S shooter. The AF back button is the same as I used with my Nikon get so have that set up as well. I haven't used it over 100 ISO so will shoot more at around f2.5 to help keep the shutter speed up.

Will have a look and see if they have a RRS L bracket in KL later today

Albert does the focusing screen still work in AF?

Later

Neil

Neil,

Just curious about your "long" exposure shot of The Jetty. It is very nice and looks sharp. Unless it was perfectly still, I would think that on water something would move a little. Do you know what shutter speed was used and did you use a tripod?

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Neil,

Just curious about your "long" exposure shot of The Jetty. It is very nice and looks sharp. Unless it was perfectly still, I would think that on water something would move a little. Do you know what shutter speed was used and did you use a tripod?

Hi Bill

I just checked the metadata and it was 1.5 sec;   f/10;   ISO 100 I was sat on the bank and shot this picture with a tripod and mirror up

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Albert.......what ball head do you use with the L Bracket.........Really right stuff have a bunch :)

Hi Bill

I just checked the metadata and it was 1.5 sec;   f/10;   ISO 100 I was sat on the bank and shot this picture with a tripod and mirror up

Thanks Neil. About ball heads. I have two of the RRS BH-40 and they are superb. Years ago I had the 55. It is large and stable but If I get the S, I will use my 40. The 55 might require a large tripod, I had mine on a Gitzo and even though it was carbon, it was a load with the BH-55 FWIW.

Hi Neil,

Handheld with the 120mm requires 1/1000 on my S2 to get tripod sharpness.  The S2 base iso of 160 makes this more easily done, on a good day I put the camera on 1/1000 @ 5.6 and shoot.  

The buttons on the camera back surrounding the LCD are programmable, my programs are iso, drive mode, profiles and exposure compensation.  

Leica did a great job designing this user friendly option.  

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Thanks Neil. About ball heads. I have two of the RRS BH-40 and they are superb. Years ago I had the 55. It is large and stable but If I get the S, I will use my 40. The 55 might require a large tripod, I had mine on a Gitzo and even though it was carbon, it was a load with the BH-55 FWIW.

Bill 

Please see attached...that have a bunch I am thinking BH-40 LRii

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

The buttons on the camera back surrounding the LCD are programmable, my programs are iso, drive mode, profiles and exposure compensation.  

Leica did a great job designing this user friendly option.  

Darrel Ive got mine set up for;

Top Left .......ISO

Btm Left .......Horizon

Top Right......EV Comp

Btm Right..... White Balance 

Front Left ........Drive mode

Loving this camera so much. I have just ordered the 30mm (CS mode)l from B&H and getting one of my mates in the US to hand carry it back to the rig in Nigeria for me..........looking forfar to trying that out next month.

Later

I have the BH-40LR The bubble level is nice but you may not be able to see it with the camera attached. Not sure how much of the S will cover the clamp. It is worth a try. You can always level your tripod then clamp on the S.

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Just got this back from Really Right Stuff

Update for Really Right Stuff Support Case #44081 - "I'd like to know more about Really Right Stuff"

Hi Neil,

Considering the hefty bulk of the Leica S and its lenses, I would recommend you choose the BH-55 LR or BH-55 PCLR as your ballhead. The full-sized BH-55 will offer the best possible handling and control, and has great knob ergonomics for intuitive action in all shooting situations.

http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/s.nl/c.3705077/sc.26/category.567/it.C/.f

The clamp choice is really up to you, but I recommend either the LR (a fixed lever-release clamp) or the PC-LR, which is the panning version of the clamp (for panoramas and further rotation independent of the ball joint).

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

I am awaiting delivery on an Arca-Swiss d4 Tripod Head with FlipLock Lever Quick Release (Geared).  Another tripod head option.

I do have the d4 as well.

It can handle everything, from a Leica M to a 8x10.

It moves around the vertical axis (pano) on the level where the head touches the tripod, as every other tripod head does, but also on the level where the camera is affixed, and this second possibility is totally unusual. Once used to it, you'll miss it if not available.

It can be used as a 3D head (a must when doing architecture) but also as a ball head.

It is small.

Because everything is arranged around a single vertical axis it has the better stability.

Of course, it is not cheap

• Like 1

Darrel Ive got mine set up for;

Top Left .......ISO

Btm Left .......Horizon

Top Right......EV Comp

Btm Right..... White Balance 

Front Left ........Drive mode

Loving this camera so much. I have just ordered the 30mm (CS mode)l from B&H and getting one of my mates in the US to hand carry it back to the rig in Nigeria for me..........looking forfar to trying that out next month.

Later

The S2 doesn't have the horizon, I wish it was there, the grid screen makes up for it.  

The 30mm is an incredible lens, all S lenses are.  Please post more images, the Jetty is great.

I like the Markins PG-32 plate on my S2, it is always mounted and holds one end of my strap, the camera hangs vertically like the M5.