screw to M mount adaptors

peterjcb

Voigtlander were as good as Leitz, but are no longer made and are hard to find. Cameraquest - US distributor for Voigtlander now carries Rayqual. They seem good, machined brass,with a cutout on one side for a 50 infinity lock, but solid on the other for th M coding sensor. There is a machined area for coding. Plating is black, not silver. Made in Japan.

Here are some pictures of the Rayqual adapter for 50 mm. Notice that it is cut out in the area needed to clear the infinity lock on some 50/35 lenses, but solid on the other side where the M9 sensor is located for coding. I'm not sure if the black finish is powdercoat or black chrome, but it isn't "polished" smooth.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

On the back side you can see where an area is milled so paint dots can be added to code the lens. You can also see the brass color of the base metal. Unlike some others, they don't mill individual pits, which might conflict with Leica's patent. One negative: the mating surface of the flange to the camera body is also plated black, where I would prefer a machined brass finish to seat against the body flange (for less wear of the body).

Here you can see the detail of the milled area, that it is profiled with a couple passes of a small mill. This indicates they could just as easily milled individual pits for coding, so I'd guess they made sure to avoid patent issues.

• 2 weeks later...

Rayqual is a good brand, they make many gadgets that other companies badge or license. But the cheap Chinese adapters you see on Ebay have never let me down, I get the ones with the coding pits and focus and function have always been spot on even on a digital M.

Steve

I bought a couple from Fotodiox for about 15 CAD on Amazon. Not 6-bit 'grooved' but fine with me since I will use them on infrequently used 50mm and longer LTM lenses where coding induced corrections are unnecessary. I did a quick test to check focus accuracy at far distances and they seemed fine. 

What I would really like to find are quality M rear lens caps that fit well and are similar to those currently supplied by Leica, but of course for considerably less $$...