Custom engraving on EVF-2

Sam

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I removed the OLYMPUS lettering with some Scotchbrite and engraved the script Leica logo in its place. I could have engraved  LEICA in block letters which is the way the Leica branded viewfinder comes, but I thought I do something different.  :D It was filled with white paint after engraving.

I'm a hand engraver by trade and this was done by hand and not with a pantograph engraving system which is what would normally be used.

This is for my personal use and I'm not seeking more for engraving.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Sam
  • Like 9

You cover the red dot but add engraving?  :D

I was expecting someone to bring that up! I rarely use the EVF and it was something to do on a rainy Sunday morning  :)

• Like 1

The result of years of dedication and practice are abundantly evident in the machinelike precision of your hand work!  As someone also engaged in a by-hand profession I have the utmost admiration.  

I've kept mine with Olympus on them as a reminder that Leica sell the identical guts in a slightly-altered casing for double the price, but if I had your expertise with engraving I might well do what you did.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks bocaburger. Engraving metal is much easier than plastic, that's for sure! Plastic is very soft and doesn't cut as cleanly and as crisply as metal.

I'm a nerd and like doing things like this. Beats watching TV!

There's always someone who has to have a moan...

Well, I'm not moaning, and I do admire the workmanship involved, but if I may; I think, aesthetically, the lettering ought to be a mm. or two higher up the face of the EVF, so that the initial loop of the L is centred on the wide base part. It's to do with balance and scale, in my view.