New M8, Day 3

Wayne

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My first digital Leica/rangefinder. Actually, my first rangefinder with a functional rangefinder mechanism: my M3 had a misaligned rangefinder before I sent it off for CLA 6 months ago....I expect it will be another 6 months before I get it back.

Am I glad I sucked it up, threw caution to the wind, and took the plunge. This camera is fantastic.  I am hooked.

I am a middle aged guy living is SE Indiana. I have enjoyed reading the various posts on the blog, and am happy to be here.

Attached photo was taken with Voigtlander 40mm 1.4 SC.

I arose from bed early this morning, grabbed the camera, and was watching my two bird feeders when a third "bird feeder" showed up. I missed focus a bit, but the camera did its part by scaring the unwelcome visitor off...Shutter noise does have its uses.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

Haha, great story Wayne. ..Welcome. :D

You've got yourself a very reliable camera, beautiful menus, lovely ergonomics...and a top plate milled from solid brass...

gorgeous to operate  and the files aren't too shabby either.

Have a lot of fun mate.  I love to read of new converts to the Leica M8, now nearly 9 years old... B)

cheers  Dave S :)

Edited by david strachan

Congratulations!

You have a great camera, and a 40mm lens is perfect for the crop.

You will find it matches the 35mm lines when using the inside of it. 

I hope your 40 brings up the 35mm lines as does my modified Summicron 40 C

Thanks for the responses.

I bought the Voigtlander lens because it is one that I have considered for use with other cameras for years. having recently acquired a Ricoh GXR with the Lieca M module made the decision to pull the trigger easy. What I did not expect, as dpitt points out, is how perfect the crop would be.

In my younger days, back when the concept of a digital camera was in the same realm as individual jet packs, I pondered how nice it would be to have a camera that just automatically rendered a picture without need for expense or time associated with film purchase and development. I was a simple minded lad, and did not wish for anything other than a basic, magic camera. I think this M8 just about hits the spot.

Thanks again

Edited by Wayne
  • Like 2