New Guy - Serious Problem

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Leica can fit a new rangefinder assembly but it will be the new type I.e. 0.72 magnification with frame lines from 28-135mm.

It won't be cheap though!

It sounds like yours is suffering from general deterioration of the silvering resulting in low contrast which makes the double image hard to see and focus, plus the fact that the parts may be showing signs of separation.

Basically your choices are use it as is until/if the finder fails altogether, have a new finder fitted, or trade it against another film M.

OP, I don't know where you are located but IIRC DAG (dagcamera.com) and Youxin Ye (yyecamera.com) offer recementing of M rangefinder prisms. 

I already provided those and other links above.  DAG often can do things that Sherry cannot, and vice versa.  DAG made one lens repair for me, at nominal cost, that Leica NJ couldn't accomplish (and said wasn't possible).

Jeff

Yes Pete. Unless they've found a box of them when they were moving factories!

Okay, thanks.  I was led to believe that the only products that Leica has difficulty finding spares for are the screw mount cameras, M8 LCD screens, and DM-R's.  You live and you learn.

Pete.

• 2 weeks later...

Anything and I mean anything can be fixed if you wave enough money at the problem and find a credible technician with some hustle. "Nothing to be done" = equals lazy or disengenous. Try Youxin Ye.

An example would be helpful,

I would contact Youxin Ye. Excellent rep with lots of history.

From his site.

• Re-cementing of a separated rangefinder for Leica M2/M3/M4 camera bodies.
  • Recement separated M2, M3, M4 main prism during CLA                                     $180.00
  • M body CLA Leica M1, M2, M3, M4, M4-2, M4-P                                                   $180.00
  • Recement separated M3 front prism during CLA & recementing main prism           $60.00

http://www.yyecamera.com/

Edited by sc_rufctr

• 2 weeks later...

I own and use an M3, 1967, that had a newer RF system installed by a Leitz agency in the 80's.

Nevertheless, that was a long time ago. Sigh!

I use my M3 more than the M6TTL, that i bought as a replacement.

A knock, fall would probably end it's life..

The point is that might as well have happened, in your case.

Leica cameras need service and adjustments but keep on working.

Many top brands can never be serviced, as the parts have all been deliberately destroyed!

Use the camera.

Worst scenario, it breaks..

Best scenario, you get to enjoy a wonderful camera and lens.

Suggest looking at newer body, M6TTL, if and when..it happens.

It may never!

Enjoy the box and lens.