Would you dismantle your M?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I just spotted this video on Youtube, where somebody dismantles an M to resolve a sticking Rangefinder. It doesn't look terribly difficult, but then again, neither do the Photoshop Tutorials I sometimes watch, which are baffling once I come to try it for real!

Working with Leica M240 stiff rangefinder______Motion Lapse Film

This isn't my video so I take no responsibility for any new-found paperweights :-)

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My M's are both still well within warranty so no I wouldn't.  But if they were out of warranty I would do that in a heartbeat.  Getting the top plate off an M is far simpler and involves less specialized tools than a film M, and I've take the top plate off numerous one's of those. 

I just spotted this video on Youtube, where somebody dismantles an M to resolve a sticking Rangefinder. It doesn't look terribly difficult, but then again, neither do the Photoshop Tutorials I sometimes watch, which are baffling once I come to try it for real!

Working with Leica M240 stiff rangefinder______Motion Lapse Film

This isn't my video so I take no responsibility for any new-found paperweights :-)

Doesn't look terribly difficult at all, I've taken apart Macbook's and iPhones before and this does not look any more difficult.

However, one thing to note is the ribbon cables on the top panel, ribbon cables are fragile and can break rather easily so it may be best to avoid doing this.

I would lose the tiny screws if I didn't burr the heads off in the first place. I would replace those small plates in the wrong order. I would snap a ribbon or other cable or pull one from its soldering. Oh yes, I have felt confident I can fix something many times before in my life!  :D

In case you're not familiar with the classic Mark Norton post on the M8...

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/21079-anatomy-of-the-leica-m8/

Sticky RF?  Child's play for Mark.  (No chance for me…I'm happy when I successfully remove the baseplate to change battery or card.)

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 1

I did it ....and putting it back I noticed so many extra unneeded parts :)

LOL  :D

One should buy two Ms: one to shoot, another to set apart.

(I'm quoting "Three man on the Bummel")