Help please 1960 Summaron 35mm 2.8 comes with goggles not attached

waex99

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi, first hello I am Phil from Singapore and new to the forum.

I just bought today a Summaron 35mm 2.8 M3 from 1960, serial number is 1731818.

The lens is in very nice condition and comes with the "goggles" detached. 

The lens side of the attachment has two small screws to fill the screw holes (this is fine)

BUT the holes for the pins are filed. 

Does anybody have an idea on how to proceed?

Many thanks 

Phil

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

If the fill is soft solder, and I bet it is,  then you can probably use a simple hot iron tip to melt it right out. There are de-soldering irons which do  this to very small areas without damaging adjacent parts. Otherwise if it is some other fill you can worry the material out using a hand-bit and smaller drill.

As a last resort, if someone can post the screw size, then you can have the holes drilled out again. (I do not know the size. Sorry.)

• Like 1

The vendor is a quite decent second hand shop here, and we know each others for several years.  I think he had no clue, I spoke to him already. The lens is in very good condition, so I prefer a bit of DIY (well Do It Himself actually) to rather than letting it go.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi James, yes I have the Goggles, with the pin to get inside the holes once emptied... I know about the focusing issue without the goggles. I'm just quite frustrated as both the lens and the goggles are in very good condition, the guy is also doing some repairs and did some for me in the past so hopefully he will sort it out.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

That was a long time ago ... but as I happen ti pass by, this is the end of the story  : the guy from the shop removed the soldering and screwed the goggles back. And ever since this lens is amazing event on the digital M  bought 2 years later. Focusing is spot on colors are great.

• Like 2

Great story, i am glad it worked out for you. The 35mm summaron f2.8 was my first real Leica lens and i always regretted to sold it to upgrade from the m8 to the m9... i found a very good copy without goggles 3 weeks ago and bought it back it’s a lovely gem. I will hold on to it forever now

I do appreciate the Summaron 2.8/35mm, but I have some new ideas.

I used to have the two types, with and without the attachment for M3.

Now I have only the "M2 type".

In use it's very good but I don't know why, for some years now I do prefer the lighter and as good older LTM Summaron 3.5/35.

And since last year, I use more the new "Summaron" named Summarit-M 2.5/35 ( for sake of pleasure and less flare in my copy).

With about 38,000 copies made of 2.8/35mm around, I don't understand why it's scarce.

Edited by a.noctilux

8 hours ago, a.noctilux said:

With about 38,000 copies made of 2.8/35mm around, I don't understand why it's scarce.

According to our wiki here, 30,000 were M bayonet. After 50+ years, an educated guess would be that >60% are:

1) too irreversibly hazed

2) too heavily scratched

3) fungus-etched

4) mechanically irreparable

5) corroded or 'frozen'

6)...or just 'lost'

Of the remainder, (again, an educated guess) 10-20% are likely to be in perfect shape. That leaves something between 2000-3000 top-grade samples remaining (many in the possession of discerning owners) and that number will naturally decline by attrition with each passing year.