Showing exposure bias during bracketing?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Does anyone know why the Exposure Bias in the Exif data doesn't change during exposure bracketing when using the M240?  For example, in Lightroom the Exposure Bias value for Nikon when bracketing would show 0, -1, +1 for the three photos in a bracket; for the M 240, each of the Exposure Bias values shows as 0.

I suppose the camera manufacturer is free whether to indicate the results of bracketing in the exposure bias fields of the Exif metadata.

Edited by mjh

Sorry, I don't understand and my question may not have been clear.  Lightroom reports an Exif field called Exposure Bias.  For the M, that field is reported as 0 EV in each of the brackets, regardless of shutter speed (constant aperture).  So, perhaps Leica doesn't actually report or calculate Exposure Bias when auto bracketing.  I do have examples that show different EV values in Lightroom but they are single shots; I'm pretty sure these occurred when I used Exposure Compensation.  The conclusion would be that Leica reports Exposure Bias to reflect changes from Exposure Compensation but not from auto bracketing.  My old M-9 handles it the same way so I assume it's not a camera problem - I just want to make sure I'm not setting something up incorrectly.

What confuses me is that the Leica V-Lux does it the same way Nikon does.  When I auto bracket with the V-Lux the Exif data reports Exposure Bias as 0, -1, +1.  This is what I would expect, and what Nikon does, and the difference is what leads me to wonder whether I've set something incorrectly on the M (and the M-9).

Not a big deal.  It's just easier for me to find my brackets when I can see the differences.

More info.  I just reviewed the data on the back of the camera.  The camera does show different Exposure Values but Lightroom doesn't.  That means that Lightroom must be misreading the data from the DNG file, I guess.

That means that Lightroom must be misreading the data from the DNG file, I guess.

... or that Leica cannot properly write DNG files, which is more likely.

In any case, make sure your M has the latest firmware. Some issues related to EXIF handling have been fixed.

Edited by CheshireCat

• 11 months later...

I know this is an old thread but I just came across it; sorry!

I can report that the MM [246] with presumably near-identical firmware to the 240 does report the user-set Exposure Value deviation in the DNG EXIF information.  This is can be visible in the metadata information for each thumbnail in Bridge, if the user opts to show Exposure metadata, as I do.  A typical line looks like "1/4000 s at f/2.8 -1, ISO 320" where the EV delta was set at -1.