Which M lenses do you want to own??

Herr Barnack

Nowsaday, I've really got all of Leica M lenses as to my desirability, I'm so pleased with 35 FLE and 50 Lux pre-Asph but I still need to try 50 Cron APO or 50 Noc V.1, in case it may be my finish line.

Thanks.

I might be interested in a new APO 75/1.4, but the old one would be hard to beat thanks to Mandler.

If an APO 75/1.4 came out, most likely it will be ASPH and FLE.  Then, a lot of us addicts would be getting both the pre-ASPH (spherical) version and the ASPH, just like the 50 Lux ASPH and 50 Lux pre-ASPH, the 50/0.95 Noctilux ASPH and the 50/1.0 Noctilux Spherical, and etc. etc.....

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The CV 21mm f1.8 has piqued my interest.  However the only M lens that I Don't have but would really like to own is a MATE.

I really like my E49 MATE.  A very versatile lens with outstanding imaging.

F4.0 is not that slow for most photography, especially with new digital sensors.  

My only gripe is the barrel distortion at 28mm, fine for general photography but keep straight lines out of the periphery.

They are potentially delicate with such a complex mechanism.  

Oh, and of course good ones are hard to come by and expensive. 

Edited by MarkP
  • Like 2

I wish Leica or Zeiss would make a new macro lens for the M series, now that the Live View and EVFs are available to supplement RF focus, which presumably will cary forward into future generations of the Leica M, with improvements. I'd think a 75mm or 90mm, perhaps f/2.8 or f/2 at max aperture, that focuses to at least 1:2 repro ratio would be good, one that is coupled to the rangefinder down to 0.7 meter, then relies on focus peaking at closer distances. It could have a slight detent or bump in the RF cam of the lens at 0.7m to let you know to switch viewfinders. The current Macro-Elmar 90mm/4 does not appeal to me, but a lens which would be designed for the current ergonomic state of art of the Leica M system would make sense to me.

Edited by sdk

I wish Leica or Zeiss would make a new macro lens for the M series, now that the Live View and EVFs are available to supplement RF focus, which presumably will cary forward into future generations of the Leica M, with improvements. I'd think a 75mm or 90mm, perhaps f/2.8 or f/2 at max aperture, that focuses to at least 1:2 repro ratio would be good, one that is coupled to the rangefinder down to 0.7 meter, then relies on focus peaking at closer distances. It could have a slight detent or bump in the RF cam of the lens at 0.7m to let you know to switch viewfinders. The current Macro-Elmar 90mm/4 does not appeal to me, but a lens which would be designed for the current ergonomic state of art of the Leica M system would make sense to me.

+1

I really like my E49 MATE.  A very versatile lens with outstanding imaging.

F4.0 is not that slow for most photography, especially with new digital sensors.  

My only gripe is the barrel distortion at 28mm, fine for general photography but keep straight lines out of the periphery.

They are potentially delicate with such a complex mechanism.  

Oh, and of course good ones are hard to come by and expensive. 

One of my greatest regrets was not buying a WATE when they were available.  I had the funds, but felt that I couldn't justify it as I already had 35 and 50mm lenses.  The cost at the time was about £1300.  Now they are at least twice that second-hand.  Silly me.

• Like 1

No. It's not. You will want more. It is inevitable.

Actually I'm quite satisfied.   50mm f/2 Summicron v5 for most things and 28mm f/2.8 Elmarit ASPH for travel kit.  35mm f/2.5 for one lens casual outings.  90mm f/2.8 Elmarit (late 1960s) for portraits and finally for vintage looks and events at night or in near darkness I have a 1937 Carl Zeiss Jena 5cm f/1.5 Sonnar that is truly magical.

nothing missing, at least nothing I would want to use on a rangefinder.  I value small and light far more than ultra fast, and the ancient Sonnar is more than fast enough for me.

Edited by asiafish
  • Like 2