Which M lenses do you want to own??

Herr Barnack

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just 10 days after I wrote this, I was very lucky and found a great deal on a nearly mint black 35/2 Summicron-M 7-element lens, version IV, made in 1991. Tested it instantly on my Sony A7R with excellent results, very good center sharpness even at f/2. Next I will use it on my Leica M6. I will keep my CV 35/1.2 II for low light and portrait purposes, but the Leica 35/2 will be my walk-around and travel lens for sure.   

Congrats! I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

• Like 1

I've been thinking my M kit is complete with a 28mm Summicron ASPH, a 50mm Summilux ASPH, and a 90mm APO Summicron ASPH and really it probably is.

It would almost be a second kit but a 35mm Summilux and a 90mm Macro-Elmar as a minimal travel kit. What would that buy me though? A little less weight & space over the 28,90 kit.

Someday probably as an impulse buy I'll pick up a 15mm CV

For reason of curiosity I'd wish to have a 90mm Noctilux, even if it won't make any sense to use it:

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=it&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.marcocavina.com%2Farticoli_fotografici%2Fleitz_elcan_90%2F00_pag.htm

Peerhaps on a modern EVIL camera it would work....

Thomas

... or even famous Zeiss Planar 50mm f/0.7 (if it would be executed for M mount):

zeiss07.jpg

BTW, Elcan-M 90 f/1.0 by Dr. Mandler recently was sold by Westlicht in Wien in May 2014 for  132.000,00.

Edited by otho

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have a hankering for a 90mm macro Elmar. Other than that, I feel pretty good about my current stable. I've not had good luck with the 90mm focal length in the past on my rangefinder cameras, but now that I have both an M and an SL I may just give that size a chance again. Plus, the macro is an attractive addition with the SL.

- Jared

• Like 1

I'm still looking for a reasonably priced apo 135mm

Yes, I wondered about the APO 135mm, but it is expensive for a lens that would get limited use.  In order to scratch the 135mm itch, I opted for a 135mm Tele-Elmar, which cost around 1/3 of the cost of an APO version.  Optically, it's fine.  Cosmetically, there are a few marks and the red indexing dot has disappeared but I'm OK with that.  I'm sure the APO is a fine lens, but in day-to-day use, is there that much between it and its predecessor?

Good luck with your search.

I have a hankering for a 90mm macro Elmar. Other than that, I feel pretty good about my current stable. I've not had good luck with the 90mm focal length in the past on my rangefinder cameras, but now that I have both an M and an SL I may just give that size a chance again. Plus, the macro is an attractive addition with the SL.

- Jared

Jared,

it's a lovely lens.  Mine comes with the macro adaptor with goggles.  Now I have the M(240), I am tempted to get hold of new version of the macro adaptor.  But it will have to wait until funds permit!

Yes, I wondered about the APO 135mm, but it is expensive for a lens that would get limited use.  In order to scratch the 135mm itch, I opted for a 135mm Tele-Elmar, which cost around 1/3 of the cost of an APO version.  Optically, it's fine.  Cosmetically, there are a few marks and the red indexing dot has disappeared but I'm OK with that.  I'm sure the APO is a fine lens, but in day-to-day use, is there that much between it and its predecessor?

Good luck with your search.

Yes, IMHO...

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Picked up a 21 SA, so my wish list is considerably smaller. 

I'm undecided on the 35 though... I currently have the Voigtlander 2.5/52, but the wish list is now one of;

2/35v4 cron

2/35v3 cron

1.4/35 pre-asph lux.

I borrowed a mates pre-asph and I must say it is something special... but 0.7m min focus is handy... but oooh it's special that pre-asph... and on and on I go!

Cheers,

Michael

So after picking up a 14/35 pre asph, my list is getting shorter. I'd say at the moment non existent - but I know there will always be something...

Maybe a 2/90 pre asph...

Michael

21 SEM and the new 28 Elmarit. That would complete my travel outfit with my M2, MP, 35 Summaron and 50 Summicron.

I'll get there ... eventually :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why not the "old" Elmarit-M 28mm? It's wonderful IMHO on a MP. Not as small, but very nice image in black and white.

Why not the "old" Elmarit-M 28mm? It's wonderful IMHO on a MP. Not as small, but very nice image in black and white.

My reference for small size and balance on my MP is a 35 Summaron. The pre-ASPH 28 Elmarits are all considerably larger AFAIK.

I've handled the new 28 Elmarit ASPH. I really like the new hood and small form factor. It is very nicely made, too. The reported lack of distortion is also a priority for my intended use.

Cheers

J

50APO, the Noct 0.95, 35 Cron and Lux.

I, too, sold a pre asph Lux to buy my Asph version. I still miss those lens, Carlos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm new to Leica after going head over heels into Nikon/Nikkor. I have a Q and an M7. The M7 is paired with Summilux-M 1,4 35mm ASPH and 50mm ASPH. I want to add wider and longer.  There are so many fans of the 21 and 24mm 1,4 Summilux ASPH. I love landscape/seascapes, but don't want to buy both. On the longer end, the 75mm vs 90mm, the Summicron-M ASPH models are just so close.  Any sage advice?

I've been avoiding this thread because my answer randomly shifts between "yes, I'll take two of each" and "I'm actually quite fine with my 35/1.4, thank you."

The 21 and 24 Summilux lenses inspire recurring desire, though. My impression is that these are not choice lenses for stopped-down work; while they're perfectly fine for that purpose, they appeal bettered by smaller and cheaper lenses in technical terms. But I think I could use one of them like I use my Summilux 35 FLE, which has tons of character wide open due to its wavy focal plane.

mkdundon, I think there might be a good parallel between the 50's. The 21 Super-Elmar and 24 Elmar would be suitable companions (in terms of rendering) to the 50/2 APO, while the 21 and 24 Summilux lenses would be better matches for a Noctilux. Which is to say, the slower lenses are technically exceptional and have a knack of staying out of the image, while the faster lenses make their presence felt and add a bit of character to photos, wanted or not.

Now I want the Noctilux 50/1. See? This is why I avoid this thread. :-)

Cheers,

Jon

Edited by JonPB