Q vs Summicron ASPH on M240

Ha - I was going to do exactly this test this weekend.

The 28mm Summicron ASPH is one of my favourite lenses on the M, and now I have the Q I need to find out for myself if it matches it. So I shall take out a tripod to the park and experiment at, say, f2, f5.6 and f16 then post some results on Monday.

• Like 4

Ha - I was going to do exactly this test this weekend.

The 28mm Summicron ASPH is one of my favourite lenses on the M, and now I have the Q I need to find out for myself if it matches it. So I shall take out a tripod to the park and experiment at, say, f2, f5.6 and f16 then post some results on Monday.

That would be cool, thank you in advance

If you want AF, almost silent shutter and macro then the Q is a no brainer. In real world photography I think you will find it hard to see a great difference between the two. I had the cron 28 asph with the M and though it was my favourite lens I have no regrets about selling it for the Q

Hi would you mind doing a test where you tilt the camera on three axis to look at distortion.

Ie. Say you are looking directly at a wall tilt the cameras down then to the left or right. I'm interested to see his the Q compares to the summicron in terms of bending vertical lines to the edges of the frame. I would test it myself but my cron is broken.

Thanks

Paul

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The M lens is going to be superior...but considering the price difference and the fact that you also get a new system...it really depends on your needs. I am currently on vacation and have the following with me:

Leica Q

Leica M240

Leica Monochrome

24-35 and 50mm Summilux Lenses

So far 100% of my shots have been with the Q. I haven't pulled out either M body once.

Now- there are a few factors at play...1) The Q is new and 2) I'm on vacation so simple is better.

The point is dent dismiss the Q even though technically the lens can't match the M lens...for most applications the differences are irrelevant. YMMV

Edited by digitalfx
  • Like 1

If the difference is irrelevant, why would one buy M lenses anymore?

I didn't say it was irrelevant, I said it was for "for most situations" as the Q lens is pretty damn good....I should have said a lot of situations though.

The M lens is superior, if you really want the best, get the M.

In my situation I have plenty of lenses, so Im better off adding a really bad ass point and shoot that has a 28mm built in. Everybody has different needs and preferences.

Edited by digitalfx
  • Like 1

Well I have to say that looking back over my M240 and 28 summicron shots and comparing to the Q it is really hard to see any difference between them from a lens point of view. I would says most difference I am seeing are more down to differences in the sensor rendering of the image. If I really pixel peep I would say I maybe (and I say maybe) getting better edge detail from the Q than I did from the 28 summicron asph.

• Like 2

Well I have to say that looking back over my M240 and 28 summicron shots and comparing to the Q it is really hard to see any difference between them from a lens point of view. I would says most difference I am seeing are more down to differences in the sensor rendering of the image. If I really pixel peep I would say I maybe (and I say maybe) getting better edge detail from the Q than I did from the 28 summicron asph.

Those are very interesting findings... deep in thoughts now...

My girlfriend would definitely prefer to have a Q as she's a bit scared of using M (always paranoid about dropping it for some reason) and finds manual focusing a bit hard.

Then there's the used market price for 28/2 ASPH, currently at around £1500 vs £2900 for new Q. So it boils down (for me) if I want to carry extra lens in the pocket or have always 2 cameras on me.

I'm a 28-50-90 guy and that's the setup I have for my Hassy V, Mamyia 6 and Fuji X-Pro1 systems. I bought M only few months back after a few years of living with M6 and have only Voigtlander Nokton 50/1.5 ASPH for it, so 28 and 90 are missing currently.

• Like 1

From personal experience I cannot see why I would prefer the 28 Summicron over the Q with the 1.7/28. People also reporting that the Summicron-M does not perform well on these outer space Sony sevens, as the availability of different cameras/sensors would be the only advantage for the Summicron-M.

I think it comes down to the personal approach of how to take pictures:

1. Stating the obvious: the Q is not an M.

2. If you travel/go out shooting with two Ms (either for backup purposes or film/digital) all the time, the Q would be a third camera - or your habits need to change

3. If you don't have a digital M yet ... maybe wait for the next thing in the M space

4. Do you love to get very close ? The Q lens goes down to 0.17m. Not sure any apochromat is available for the Summicron-M/M24x combo.

If find these type of things much more important than minor differences in IQ and color. Leica does not produce lenses with mediocre IQ. Extremes aside, color and contrast can well be adjusted in post processing and can even be automated to a point.

I have Q with me for almost three weeks and already loving it! Had my first fashion portraiture shoot with it and I'm super happy with the result. I coupled Q with my M246 + 50 APO and M monochrom + 75 1.4 + shooting with Broncolor and natural lighting. The result was very exciting. Will share those shots here soon. Interestingly enough, good studio camera because of LS lens and fast sync speed :)

• Like 1

I have some experience now with Q and both 28 Summicron and Summilux on M240. Yes, I shoot mostly WA, with the 24 Elmarit ASPH being my favorite WA. My experience, looking at prints, is that you should not directly compare the Q to either M lens.

The in-camera processing of the Q files is obviously very extensive... many Q files are beautiful and almost too clean, with some of them looking plastic to me. In terms of the lenses, I do not see that the Q does much closed down beyond f/2.8, as the corner sharpness is lacking a great deal IMHO. The transition from center sharpness to weak periphery of the image is abrupt with the Q, rather than elegant with the M lenses. Both the M lenses are exceptional, corner to corner, at f/5.6, if that is you composing style.

At large apertures, which I use, the 28 Summilux-M has beautiful illumination across the image and absolutely zero spatial distortion. The 28 Summicron is not as bright and has a mild distortion toward the corners. The Q corrects spatial distortion, pretty much, and all chromatic aberrations, but I find the periphery of the images to be lifeless.

The shooting experience with the Q is addictive. Center sharpness and 3D are excellent. The flexibility and images from the Q can be wonderful...  but it is not remotely an M + 28 (either Summicron or Summilux) in my hands.

• Like 6

The Q allows images that simple are not possible with an M. I am on vacation and have everything with me. The Q is the only thing I leave the hotel with every morning.

Wouldn't we all if we just bought it?